Evading aches and pains

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Boozy, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right this might be a spectacularly stupid question, or have been covered (apologies couldn't find anything in search), but apart from taking ice baths and stretching loads, is there any way to lessen the aches and pains you get the day after an intense and challenging workout?

Or is it something you just have to grin and bear? I totally understand you get aches and things if you do something new and you're not used to it and I'm not expecting to find something that leaves me entirely free of aches and pains but just something that would ease things so that I'm not waking up tomorrow and feeling like I'm totally paralysed with it :nod:

Would a cold shower have the same effect as an ice bath? (I don't have a proper bath really)

I'm currently on a tough training regime in order to prepare for a charity boxing match in 6 weeks time. Before Christmas I was doing no exercise to speak of but have now built it up to the point where I'm doing 1 hours intense fitness and weights in the mornings and 2 hours on a Tuesday and Thursday night in a Mens boxing gym (I'm a lady) where the instructors take no prisoners.

I'm amazed I'm still breathing tbh! :)

I would really appreciate any advice or any wee tips anyone out there has as I'm not very clued up on fitness related things!
  2. Try a steam room or sauna after exercise that's what my OH does. He can't entice me cause I hate them.
  3. Do not stretch 'loads', it will be counter-productive. Do not stretch before exercise, it should be warm up; exercise; cool down; stretch. Each muscle group only needs stretching once, perform stretch until it just pulls and hold it for 30 seconds.

The water in an ice bath should be between 10°C to 15°C, so not actually all that 'icy' (although it will feel like it until you get used to it, and you may need to use ice to get the water cold enough in summer). A cold shower won't work, as the pressure of the water is required, the deeper the better. Some people use a bin or any other container they can stand in, rather than a bath, to increase the pressure. 10 minutes is ideal. Cold water immersion is only really of use if you are planning on continuing the next day, otherwise don't bother and just have the day off.

A proper massage is useful, as is compression clothing.

It's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) if you wish to google it. It will subside as your muscles adapt. Don't forget to have a day off a week - it's the recovery from exercise, not the exercise itself, that increases fitness.
  4. Never heard of that one before but not an option for me anyway...my local sauna burnt down two weeks ago...
  5. This is useful thanks for this. I was considering looking into getting massages, I've never had one before, are they cheap? I'm not working at the moment and most spare money I have for the next few weeks is earmarked for the charity.

Why is stretching before exercise bad though? A lot of exercise places I've been to have made us do them as part of the warm up?
  6. I think it's time you posted a pic of yourself - it would be good publicity for you too.
  7. Massages aren't usually expensive if you go to them, rather than them come to you. Sometimes they're included with gym memberships and are free to competitors at certain events. Just make sure they're properly qualified in sports massage/physio and don't offer 'extras'.

This is the layman's answer to why stretching before exercise is not recommended. Essentially, it won't prevent injury, it may cause a muscle to tighten, it will weaken the muscle, it will decrease the muscle's ability to absorb energy, it has an analgesic effect which may cause you to overexert, etc...
    Wherever you've been going that has made you stretch needs correcting. The BMJ, NIH and most sporting bodies all say don't.
  8. If you can find a good practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), their use of massage, acupressure and acupuncture can have great effect. Acupuncture is effectively painless, even to someone with an ingrained needle phobia (like me). The massage can be eye-wateringly, swearing-aloud painful, depending on how sore or generally worn-out you are, but the benefit is as great - or greater - than that from a physio.

Don't stint on fresh food, lean meat/fruit/vegies; if you're working hard, you must eat well. Think of it as refuelling an engine, if it helps.
  9. Possibly soon, I'm going to have one more training session at the boxing gym before I definitely decide I'm doing it as the sponsorship target is rather challenging and I have a higher mountain to climb as most entrants are having 50% of their target donated by their employers - which I don't have just now so will rely heavily on the generosity of others. I wouldn't be too worried about blowing my persec as long as the charity benefited. An online justgiving page may be set up in the next week or so.

I am eating well as if to fuel an engine, this fitness kick originally started off in january as a way to lose weight and have been asked to take part in this boxing event now as they are short of numbers. So I want to continue to lose weight as I train without under or over eating for the amount of exercise I'm doing.

I don't feel too bad today after last nights session, mainly feeling it in my shoulders, back muscles upper arms and right calve.

I don't like needles either but I could cope with that I think as long as I don't see the thing! Will shut my eyes for it haha

I have a mate who is a recently qualified physio, I may be able to rope her in to help in some way (hopefully for free!)
  10. Don't forget to drink plenty of fluids.
  11. So all the fluids you lose through excercise, you go and sweat some more out?
  12. Roger that. It's something I'm pretty bad at to be honest. Need to get into the way of drinking water more constantly.
  13. Although it may not work as well as a full ice bath, I have to say that a cold shower (alternating cold/warm) certainly seems to help me.
  14. Don't grow old, aches and pains come hand-in-hand with age!

Oh, this isn't the NAAFI Bar is it?

I'll retract that statement then!
  15. In that case I dread to think what the next 50 odd years may bring in terms of aches and pains... I'm only 23 haha