"Eurovision is in danger because of Eastern dominance"

A record 15 acts come from "new Europe", countries that emerged after the collapse of the Soviet Union and former Yugoslavia, including Armenia, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Bulgaria, Georgia, Hungary, Romania and Russia.

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/8654

Nordic press add voices to disappointment

Eirikkur: I'll never do Eurovision again

In an interview with the Danish newspaper Ekstrabladet, Icelandic contestant, Eirikkur Hauksson, expresses his dissapointment. He says that he will never enter the Eurovision Song Contest again. His reaction is sad, as one of the popular competition veterans, and mirrors that of compatriot, Selma - who said the same in 2005 after failing to reach the final on her second visit to the competition.
Earlier he thought that anyone could win this Contest if the song is good enough, but now he doubts this with the eastern european dominance. He even went so far that he stated he actually never wants to see the Eurovision Song Contest again!

Danish and Norwegian press are especially vocal in their anger about the fact that no Western countries qualified from last night's semi final and Danish broadcaster DR will check yesterday's voting to see if it is true that there is a big difference between the way eastern and western countries were voting.

Eurovision icon of Denmark, Jørgen de Mylius, states that the Eurovision Song Contest is in danger because of this situation. He urges DR to act towards the EBU now, before the competition loses even more interest in the West. Personally he'd like to see one competition for the old traditional Eurovision countries, and one for the new ones.

Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet reports of a storm of reactions from the television viewers in the three Scandinavian countries, stating that something has to be done about the eastern dominance.

Even though Eirikkur of Iceland seem to be furious about yesterdays result, both DQ of Denmark and Norwegian Guri are not too dissapointed about the result. They stated that they are very satisfied with their performances, they did their best and it was obviously not enough for the rest of Europe.

He even went so far that he stated he actually never wants to see the Eurovision Song Contest again!
wow, I found that I have something in common with a Eurovision Song contestant...

Mrs Papegojan was glued to it last night. Nearly spilt my pint when I saw the Ukraine's entry. These are a people that helped humiliate the Nazi war machine, yet they field something that makes Elton look straight! Of course there's going to be block voting. It's more a political programmme these days, but let's face it, was it ever about music?

And this misbegotten EU of which we are members also has Turkey and Morocco - among others - lobbying for membership.

What, pray, has Asia Minor and north-west Africa to do with Europe? Geograpically, culturally, historically or in religion?

Time the UK got out. Or it all reverted to a Common Market and no more, which is what most of us voted for.

Apols for serious political stuff in the NAFFI Bar, but it is fcuking serious, man . . . . . . . .

whats with the macedonian and bosnian entrys I never saw women like that and I spent far to much time in their shitty countries not a sugar puff toothed hunchback in sight (or is that a flashback to the shot) but to be honest the serb lesbian bulldog did even it out a bit

Now that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have devolved power (Merbyon Kernow are also campaigning for the same in Cornwall), they should be allowed to represent themselves in Eurovision. The advantage of Balkanisation is that you get micro-states that fight one another but rally together when faced with outside powers. If the UK can be split into four or five separate nations and its European colonies are spun off (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Gibraltar) - each with its own EBA member - plus add our loyal brothers and sisters in Ireland to the mix and you have a powerful Eurovision bloc that could defeat the Slav enemy. Perhaps Gordon Brown could consider ways of reforming the constitution and the administration of television networks in order to secure a winner from the British Isles in Eurovision. It's a good idea, I think.

The really scary thing is that the uk automatical qualify even if we come last as the british public pretty much pay for the whole bag of shoite, the little crappy republics that usually vote together cant afford to contribute to the contest and countries like spain france and germany arent that stupid, I always hope that the crappiest hole wins so the bbc can rough it in a cess pit during filming

B

Biscuits_AB

Bunch of commie b*stards with sh*te songs. Let them keep it. It's not like there going to go platinum here in the UK or the US (the main countries who more or less control the sales of loud popular music).

Personally I thought that the UK entry was dross. Terry Wogans sarcasm keeps it going as far as I'm concerned.

Anybody else reckon that the Serbian singer bore a remarkable likeness to some of the rough manly lady truck drivers who frequent some of today's MT hangars? I'll bet she knows her way round a bean.

yea that was on the TV last night, my eyes where glued to the screen when the UK singers where given 12 points by malta ... that blonde singer was pretty damn excited bouncing up and down ....

Ozduke said:
Without Terry Wogan the Eurovision's got nothing!!

I miss Terry....!
Yip, his pi55 taking seems to have been watered down considerably over the past couple of years.

Obviously some wet tawt at the BBC, afraid of litigation from someone or other, has forced him to temper his comments.

He was the only reason I watched - I feel a boycott coming on in future.

Mr_Cid said:
yea that was on the TV last night, my eyes where glued to the screen when the UK singers where given 12 points by malta ... that blonde singer was pretty damn excited bouncing up and down ....
That has happened for the past few years since Italy dropped out; the Maltese quite like us! :)

I hardly ever watch the singing side of Eurovision, but always try and watch the voting side. Apart from the clannishness it is actually a very useful political litmus paper, as to what is happening in Europe, with regard to political alliences and more importantly migration trends.

For example Germany historically always gave Turkey either 10 or 12 points, due to the migrant Turkish workers. This has now shifted, as Germany's immigrant population shift in balance.

Cyprus gave Turkey points for the first time 3 years ago, and did not give Greece the automatic "douze" when the Israeli Transexual won.

If you look behind the obvious then it can be quite interesting!

Apologies for posting this in the Naafi, but then again this is bar politics!!!!!

The problem with the Eurodismal mong contest is that every nation has the same voting power. Think about that, Malta, five alcoholics and a goat balancing on a rock, has the same voting power as Germany with 90 million squareheads.

The sole purpose behind the collapse of the former soviet union was for a shi't load of tin pot republics which could then conspire to win the prize!

Damn sneaky the KGB!

Our own tin pot republics, Wales, Scotland, Leftfootistan etc. would never vote for an English turn. The citizens of ex soviet republics are no different in this, but they aren't voting. Nothing so important would be left to democratic processes there!

Eurodismal is not so bad though, it brought ABBA to the world stage. Those two lovely scandinavian ladies helped me to fill my first w'ank sock!

Eurovision is in danger because of Eastern dominance - sounds a bit like the UK as a whole then.

BT.

I posted a warning not to watch on another thread so why do you morons insist on watching this shite. Is it a desperate urge for self mutilation gone wrong or what. FFS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Northern_Biff The NAAFI Bar 217
Noir The NAAFI Bar 127
Retd_crab The NAAFI Bar 10