Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eurostar - Your Experiences.

I’m looking ahead to getting out and about once we get out of lockdown. Having just watched a program where the presenter travels from London to Rotterdam, I thought it would be a good way for me to travel.

I hate flying now, not through fear, but it’s not nice being separated from my wheelchair and not being able to go for a píss.

I’ll be giving Paris a miss, I’ve read it’s terrible for wheelchairs, Brussels the same, but Rotterdam and Amsterdam appear very good.

I’m interested in hearing from those who have travelled on Eurostar and their experiences.

D

Deleted 164106

I’m looking ahead to getting out and about once we get out of lockdown. Having just watched a program where the presenter travels from London to Rotterdam, I thought it would be a good way for me to travel.

I hate flying now, not through fear, but it’s not nice being separated from my wheelchair and not being able to go for a píss.

I’ll be giving Paris a miss, I’ve read it’s terrible for wheelchairs, Brussels the same, but Rotterdam and Amsterdam appear very good.

I’m interested in hearing from those who have travelled on Eurostar and their experiences.
The Mrs (until recently) used it to commute to Paris and back once a week. I find it fairly easy to use, the staff are fairly helpful in the 'special assistance' part, which I guess you'll be using - fairly fast to get through check-in (Mrs was on crutches for a few weeks).

Fast, fairly quiet and charging sockets in the seats (not sure about economy - I went on the next one up; can't remember if there were 2 levels or 3).

I've used both the Eurostar train from St Pancras to Brussels, and the Folkestone-Calais drive-on trains.

Both were excellent, on time, reasonably priced.

I have used the passenger train to and from Paris a few times and also the car train to just cross under the Channel.

I was happy every time, never had an issue. Others may have had different experiences. Nosh wise we always used to take out own snacks as like any rail operator they cost about 10 times as much onboard the train.

I listened to an interview with Mark Smith, otherwise known as "The Man in Seat 61", who travels all over the world on railways. He says that if you have the time and inclination there are not too many places on the planet you cannot get to by rail. He calls himself "The Man in Seat 61" as that is his favourite seat on the Eurostar.

He has a website which is full of useful bits of information from tips on how to buy rail tickets more or less from anywhere to anywhere and also links across to the various scheduling timetable services.

When I first checked his site I discovered that if you leave Frankfurt at 08.00hrs you can be in Milan by 16.00hrs on the same day for around 40 euros. I fully intend to do that.

Used it last year to go to Ypres.
Superb.
There was a bloke in a wheelchair a few cars up from us, the walkway is quite narrow tbh, but to be fair to the staff they were excellent.
The lady looking after our section told him that in the event of an emergency a member of the crew would get him.

Apart from the whole thing, internally, looking like a set from a 1970s ITV sitcom, can't fault it.

Call me an old romantic, but there's something about St. Pancras and Gare du Nord; love 'em both, maybe too many 1930s films on BBC2, rainy Saturday mornings as a kid, images of stations as places of adventure, meeting, parting.

Never had a problem on Eurostar, easy peasy trip and once you factor in security, baggage reclaim, travel to/from CDG and London airports, the journey is very comparable in time terms. Luckily the Frogs run the on train catering.

Never done it in a chariot myself, although one trip with exuberant post-deal boss + company credit card I did have severe difficulty walking off at Pancras.

Are all the toilets wheelchair accessible?

Only done the Eurostar once and it was good, easy and quick. Also done Rotterdam and Amsterdam, you’re right about them being accessible and easy to move around in, enjoyed both cities and the night life was awesome. Enjoy Dinger

Wot @Joshua Slocum said:
1588107719824.png

Special travel needs | Eurostar

I travelled on it a lot a dozen years ago. Good food for what it is, easy travel and straight to where I was going. Brussels centre would be a challenge for a wheelchair and if you need to be absolutely independent a good decision.

Robme

LE
Amsterdam is great for wheelchairs, as everywhere there are cycle paths. And you won’t get run down either as there is an awareness for other road users. What you will need is the Amsterdam tourist card which you can get from the main railway station which gives hefty discounts on trams buses and all the best museums. As I remember there are taxi firms which have dedicated disabled access as does most of the public buildings. Don’t miss the brewery visit. Amstel I think.
All this information is available on line
warning I last went 5 years back, I use sticks and had no problems getting from A to B and I can’t use stairs. But check up before you go. The wacky backy cafs are well different and the red-light district worth a nose, but I don’t know if any of them are disabled friendly but I’m sure where there‘s a will there is a way. Apologies if there is a Mrs Dinger, but you have never mentioned if you have one or if you did I didn’t see that nugget.
Everybody speaks English and were most defiantly friendly.
Holland is disabled friendly, and forget BRITISH Rail Staff attitudes. [Edited to include update]

Last edited:
Amsterdam is great for wheelchairs, as everywhere there are cycle paths. And you won’t get run down either as there is an awareness for other road users. What you will need is the Amsterdam tourist card which you can get from the main railway station which gives hefty discounts on trams buses and all the best museums. As I remember there are taxi firms which have dedicated disabled access as does most of the public buildings. Don’t miss the brewery visit. Amstel I think.
All this information is available on line
warning I last went 5 years back, I use sticks and had no problems getting from A to B and I can’t use stairs. But check up before you go. The wacky backy cafs are well different and the red-light district worth a nose, but I don’t know if any of them are disabled friendly but I’m sure where there‘s a will there is a way. Apologies if there is a Mrs Dinger, but you have never mentioned if you have one or if you did I didn’t see that nugget.
Everybody speaks English and were most defiantly friendly.
No the Eurotrain doesn't go to Amsterdam but the trains from Belgium to Holland are disabled friendly, forget BRITISH Rail Staff attitudes.
Do keep up...

1588109142563.png

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It’s basically the same as any other train except there is **** all to see out the window for about 30 minutes while you go through the tunnel.

Eurostar will be fine.

The Paris Metro is a museum of anti-accessibility - I can't think of even one station that doesn't have lots of staircases going up and then equally down in every passageway.

It’s basically the same as any other train except there is **** all to see out the window for about 30 minutes while you go through the tunnel.

You just want me to stay at your gaff.

Having travelled on Eurostar a lot in the past 5 years, and as recently as March, the worst part of the whole experience is the crowding at St.Pancras terminal. Take whatever upgrades you can afford to get away from the masses, and let them know your mobility needs in order to get additional assistance where needed. Depending on when you're travelling an upgrade to Premium Economy for the small meal can be worthwhile; either than or take your own supplies as the re is no trolley service and the buffet car onboard can be crowded and something of a rip-off, as well as being some distance from your carriage. Services are generally on time, clean and pretty comfortable; just make sure you're not travelling on the same day as a major football tournament (not likely for a while) to avoid the drunken 'revellers'.

If you do get out at Gare du Nord there is a restaurant directly opposite on the corner called Terminus Nord. Its really, really good. Highly recommended, especially for the steak.

Aside from that, its a train journey with loads of well off people & tight access control. The phone signal is better in the tunnel than it is on the French side. Takes you into the centre of a few capitals. Very useful if you're in, or want to go to those places.

Moving between main stations in Paris, such as Gare du Nord & Montparnasse, is absolutely a living hell if you're going to use the metro. So don't. There's a taxi rank at the side of Gare du Nord which is supervised so you don't have to queue if you qualify and they don't want you to.

If you go to Montparnasse there is a decent restaurant across the road from the main door called Le Paris Montparnasse and that is also recommended.

French TGVs to the sticks can be outstanding, incredibly quick.

Used it 12 or so times last year.

St Panc was under sized for the volume of people moving through it (at least pre-lockdown), good luck finding a seat. If you cant be bothered going into London and being squeezed into the departures area at St P, joining the train at Ebbsfleet is much more of a chilled experience. But the last train from Ebbsfleet into Paris is before lunch each day, and not all call at Ebbsfleet on the way back.

One thing not that many realise, is that if you have a ticket and turn up early, they are often happy to move you onto an earlier train, space permitting. So if you have booked a 7pm train back from Gare du Nord and rock up at 5pm, have a chat to the staff before the security area and they can re-book you at no charge.

There are three classes - cattle, 'premium economy' and 'business'. 'PE' and 'Business' you get fed.

As for the French side, beware 'Les Douanes' (customs) who were on strike most of last year and on a go slow meaning long queues for the scanners. Mr AnalPark above is completely right about the connections, the RER is an abomination and Gare du Nord does come across as a stinking den of iniquity at times, 'welcome to Paris'.

Latest Threads