Europeans joining the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by The-BFG, Jul 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We had a Polish guy come to join the unit the other week and we were told he couldn't join by the powers that be.

During training though, I met loads of EU guys, Polish, Italian, even some dodgy Hungarian bird!

The Army website only mentions Commonwealth folk.

Anyone shed any light on the matter?
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry, he can't join. UK and Commonwealth Cits only. Oh, and Irish.
  3. He can be a special constable however ..... lots of East Europeans in the Met Special Constabualry.

4. Children of European migrants with names like Yuri Kowalski who have grown up speaking Polish in some godforsaken end of Bradford are, however, technically British and so fine.
  5. And trying to take details from some of them over the radio can be interesting, to say the least...
  6. If Europeans stay in the UK for 5 or 7 years they qualify for a British passport- does that not confer them British citizenship? And therefore gives them rights to join the TA. I know a guy who has Italian parents and was born in Italy but has lived here since he was a child whos in the TA.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Passport is not the same as citizenship.

corrected - I was talking bollox :)
  8. "Passport is not the same as citizenship".

Err...yes it does. In fact it is the only British document (well, that and the now defunct ID card) that proves your nationality. If someone presents a UK passport, they are British. They can hold dual nationality if they want though.
  9. Yeah Im pretty sure a passport is the only citizenship document as the wording in the blurb certifies you as a citizen of her majestys green and pleasant land(s).
  10. We have a soldier who needs to leave the TA before he can get citizenship and rejoin..barking
  11. Prolly because he should not have been allowed to join in the first place.
  12. No - that's just weird. I can't see what being in the TA (or, frankly, the Regular Army) has to do with your standing for applying for citizenship (aside from the 'Earned Citizenship" scheme proposed in the 2008 Home Office Green Paper.) If you're qualified to be in, you ought (IHMO) to be qualified to stay in the country.
  13. msr

msr LE

14. We had somebody from Azerbaijhan (spelling) come in a few years ago, took a while but we ended up getting a letter off his home nation stating that he had no convictions and he was allowed to proceed with the joining procedure with which he failed the entrance test.
  15. yeah agreed, something doesn't add up. I'll try to find out more, it wasn't the normal bullshit rumour mill that said this so..