Europeans joining the TA

We had a Polish guy come to join the unit the other week and we were told he couldn't join by the powers that be.

During training though, I met loads of EU guys, Polish, Italian, even some dodgy Hungarian bird!

The Army website only mentions Commonwealth folk.

Anyone shed any light on the matter?

Children of European migrants with names like Yuri Kowalski who have grown up speaking Polish in some godforsaken end of Bradford are, however, technically British and so fine.

If Europeans stay in the UK for 5 or 7 years they qualify for a British passport- does that not confer them British citizenship? And therefore gives them rights to join the TA. I know a guy who has Italian parents and was born in Italy but has lived here since he was a child whos in the TA.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
If Europeans stay in the UK for 5 or 7 years they qualify for a British passport- does that not confer them British citizenship? And therefore gives them rights to join the TA. I know a guy who has Italian parents and was born in Italy but has lived here since he was a child whos in the TA.
Passport is not the same as citizenship.

corrected - I was talking bollox :)

"Passport is not the same as citizenship".

Err...yes it does. In fact it is the only British document (well, that and the now defunct ID card) that proves your nationality. If someone presents a UK passport, they are British. They can hold dual nationality if they want though.

Yeah Im pretty sure a passport is the only citizenship document as the wording in the blurb certifies you as a citizen of her majestys green and pleasant land(s).

We have a soldier who needs to leave the TA before he can get citizenship and rejoin..barking

Prolly because he should not have been allowed to join in the first place.
No - that's just weird. I can't see what being in the TA (or, frankly, the Regular Army) has to do with your standing for applying for citizenship (aside from the 'Earned Citizenship" scheme proposed in the 2008 Home Office Green Paper.) If you're qualified to be in, you ought (IHMO) to be qualified to stay in the country.

We had somebody from Azerbaijhan (spelling) come in a few years ago, took a while but we ended up getting a letter off his home nation stating that he had no convictions and he was allowed to proceed with the joining procedure with which he failed the entrance test.

No - that's just weird. I can't see what being in the TA (or, frankly, the Regular Army) has to do with your standing for applying for citizenship (aside from the 'Earned Citizenship" scheme proposed in the 2008 Home Office Green Paper.) If you're qualified to be in, you ought (IHMO) to be qualified to stay in the country.
Point is you need to be a UK citizen / Commonwealth etc to join HM Forces. If you are not, you should not be in in the first place.

How does it work for a british national joining a commonwealth reserve force. I had a look at the Canadian reserve and got the impression it was Canadian citizenship only for entry.

A British passport is not proof of British Citizenship. If in doubt contact UKBIA, generally speaking they will be ok but in the case of refugees etc they may well hold a British passport and travel visa but not actually be British Citizens. If they were previously foreign nationals but are now claiming they are British you will need to see their Certificate of Naturalisation. If they are commonwealth nationals they need 5 years residency and a visa granting Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. If in doubt submit copies of their docs to HQ RG who will advise. Dual nationals are fine provided they are not required to do national service in their country of second nationality (we just had to turn away a dual British/Turk until he completed his 3 weeks on the border in Cyprus), write to the relevant embassy in the UK and they will check his service details in the respective nation. Feel free to PM me with specific cases and I'll do my best to fill you in with the details. Check the latest copies of RGIs certain nations have granted permission for their citizens to join without confirmation form their armed forces.

PS - Be careful if you have South Africans joining, the armed forces in SA class them as mercs if they decide to join over here.

JD150. Refugees as opposed to asylum claimants, get Travel Documents not passports. They are blue and have the Home Office coat of arms on thefront and are issued by the Home Office not the Passport Agency.They are official refugees and have no nationality. They cannot join full stop until they get a British passport which, as I have said is the only document proving nationality. You can be born in the UK, but that doesn't make you British, as Duke of Wellington pointed out to somebody when they reminded him he was Irish: "If you are born in a stable it doesn't make you a horse".Even with a certificate of naturalisation, you will still get a British Passport.
However, to confuse people there are various types of British passport. 99.6% confer full British nationality. The others confer British National Overseas. Thet require a visa to stay and live in the UK, usually people from Hong Kong who chose to stay "British" and not transfer to being Chinese after 1997 (and also a couple of other islandshave this). A simple check is in the nationality section of the data page it will state "British National Overseas".
And it is now the UK Border Agency (UKBA) not Border and Immigration Agency (BIA).