European Working Time Directive

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Youcannotbeserious, May 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a single section mentioned in the article:

That screws a lot of people/companies up big time.

2. It's already meaning that some people can't work enough hours to feed their family - Boris Johnson talked about it in the Torygraph a few days ago

3. The Cnuts are already clobbering the truckers.

4. BK!

BK! Old-Salt

To answer the original question. The armed forces will be exempt.

5. ...you lucky people!

6. As I understand it, the Armed Forces and the emergency services are currently exempt from this rule and will continue to be so due to a special clause. I hope not. Would make Op tours a bit easier.

7. this seems to be the only good thing to come out of europe (That I've noticed). I currently work a 57 hour week, and thats without over time. So I'm all for it.

However how will tie into the possible resscesion on the horizon?

8. It'd be a hell of a comute every day if it covered us.

9. Especially with those RAF t0ssers at the controls.

10. As far as I can remember, the only exemption the forces have is if you are on, or are preparing for operations.

This would suggest that most jobs in Main Building etc would be covered by the Directive.

11. Typical european interventionism. :roll:

As long as there is no H&S issue in people working over a certain limit (eg ~40hrs) then i see no reason at all that could justify the european freeloaders telling us exactly how long we can work. Whatever happend to a mans right to work as hard and as long (within reason) as he wanted?

12. Are these idiots trying to drive production to the far east? Compared to the far east, Europe is an employment nightmare already, it's a miracle there are any large manufacturers here at all.

Tying the hands of employers (and employees) like this is European commercial suicide, and that's without the Chinese even trying. They are currently struggling just trying to accommodate the Western firms that have already rushed east. Once they get sorted and start knocking on our doors, watch out, because it won't be long before those same doors are just banging in the wind. What price then the European dream?

13. This is commercial suicide. As you rightly say this will push up costs and make us uncompeteitive.

Supposing I'm trying start up a new company and have to work silly hours to get my business off the ground?

14. This is utterly typical of the lazy idle g!ts across the water. If I want to work long hours, why shouldn't I? Why should some lazy cheese-eating surrender monkey be able to stipulate the hours that I can work and hence effectively limit my income and b^gger the productivity of my country?

If they want shorter working hours, why don't they legislate for it within their own national governments?

If this announcement had come in a week ago, I might well have voted UKIP.