European Working Time Directive

Just a single section mentioned in the article:

"They also decided on-call time would be counted as working time in most instances, and average working hours could be calculated over a full year, rather than the present period of four months."
That screws a lot of people/companies up big time.

It's already meaning that some people can't work enough hours to feed their family - Boris Johnson talked about it in the Torygraph a few days ago

The Cnuts are already clobbering the truckers.

To answer the original question. The armed forces will be exempt.

As I understand it, the Armed Forces and the emergency services are currently exempt from this rule and will continue to be so due to a special clause. I hope not. Would make Op tours a bit easier.

this seems to be the only good thing to come out of europe (That I've noticed). I currently work a 57 hour week, and thats without over time. So I'm all for it.

However how will tie into the possible resscesion on the horizon?

IdleAdjt said:
As I understand it, the Armed Forces and the emergency services are currently exempt from this rule and will continue to be so due to a special clause. I hope not. Would make Op tours a bit easier.
It'd be a hell of a comute every day if it covered us.

Especially with those RAF t0ssers at the controls.

As far as I can remember, the only exemption the forces have is if you are on, or are preparing for operations.

This would suggest that most jobs in Main Building etc would be covered by the Directive.

Typical european interventionism. :roll:

As long as there is no H&S issue in people working over a certain limit (eg ~40hrs) then i see no reason at all that could justify the european freeloaders telling us exactly how long we can work. Whatever happend to a mans right to work as hard and as long (within reason) as he wanted?

Are these idiots trying to drive production to the far east? Compared to the far east, Europe is an employment nightmare already, it's a miracle there are any large manufacturers here at all.

Tying the hands of employers (and employees) like this is European commercial suicide, and that's without the Chinese even trying. They are currently struggling just trying to accommodate the Western firms that have already rushed east. Once they get sorted and start knocking on our doors, watch out, because it won't be long before those same doors are just banging in the wind. What price then the European dream?

F

fozzy

Awol said:
Are these idiots trying to drive production to the far east? Compared to the far east, Europe is an employment nightmare already, it's a miracle there are any large manufacturers here at all.

Tying the hands of employers (and employees) like this is European commercial suicide, and that's without the Chinese even trying. They are currently struggling just trying to accommodate the Western firms that have already rushed east.
This is commercial suicide. As you rightly say this will push up costs and make us uncompeteitive.

Supposing I'm trying start up a new company and have to work silly hours to get my business off the ground?

This is utterly typical of the lazy idle g!ts across the water. If I want to work long hours, why shouldn't I? Why should some lazy cheese-eating surrender monkey be able to stipulate the hours that I can work and hence effectively limit my income and b^gger the productivity of my country?

If they want shorter working hours, why don't they legislate for it within their own national governments?

If this announcement had come in a week ago, I might well have voted UKIP.

As casual labour will us TA be exempt?

Did find it funny that Labour MEPs voted for it.

Can't just blame Labour Maggie started it, my wife looks after our young nippers and they benefit cause she does. Why should we picked on cause we don't follow the womens lib line?
My extra work in the TA is already taxed at a hideous rate, I get fcuk all back for it (I see open crime on the street, people doing small crimes getting penalised more than hardened criminals)

Think I want to leave, which one of these countries doesn't have a set of wnakers like we do?

a. Australia
b. Canada
c. New Zealand

a and b are good for my employer has offices there but I like the sound of c

I'm British to the core. If you cut me I bleed red, white and blue. I am a fierce defender of some of our fine British institutions, and I love my country. But why does this government make it feel like my love for my country is unrequited?

Nothing else which has ever happened to me makes me more upset than watching succesive governments strip away everything I hold dear about my country. It makes me want to cry.

Why can't I fly the St. George's Cross in public?
Why am I continually discriminated against for being a white able-bodied male?
Why are my taxes paying for foreign free-loaders?
Why does our government let the EU continually shaft us?
Why can't I defend my home against intruders?
Why are the silent majority silent?

But at the end of the day, this is my damn country, and I'll not leave until I've run out of fight.