European Union gives Nigeria $1bn for peace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Oyibo, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8369974.stm

Hmm. Now, from where does this money come? Well, obviously from the good taxpayers of the countries in the EU.

Now I have spent several years in the corrupt and disfunctional cesspit that is Nigeria, and I cannot imagine what tangible and positive effect this will have on the tragedy that is the Niger Delta. But I am a bit late in identifying this:

I'm bloody glad I don't pay taxes in Europe, but this splurge of money to a country that will siphon it off to the already rich is a disgrace. Remember Nigeria's debts being cancelled by the UK two years ago? (They took a 3bn loan from the Chinese the week after.)

Outraged? Yes. It is like feeding a spoiled child sweets in the hope it will ask for no more.

2. I've said it before but will say it again: Nigeria, the most corrupt, foul country I've worked in and the Nigerians are the worst, vilest group of people as a whole that I've had the misfortune to work with. I prefer dogshit to Nigerians.

So thats $1bn into various back pockets, not $1 will ever be used for it's intended purpose.

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I would guess that money will vanish ... in the crack between the corruption and the utter stupidity of Nigeria.

I'm just grateful I don't pay tax in the EU [well, a bit].

I would be very happy to have Nigeria, and Nigerians, expunged from the Planet. An arrrsehole of a 'nation', populated by a venal and completely unprincipled 'upper echelon'.

Ooops - sorry, this is not the NAAFI.
    The Nigerian People are an example to Africa, and deserve every penny then can extract from idiots like the EU.
    Is that better? :wink:

4. No doubt we've met, or know of each other, if you have been to that delightful country in the past few years RangeStew.

I wholly agree with your viewpoint. I am happy to provide theory and case studies to those that don't.

I hope you don't pay tax in Europe (that ends up in Nigeria).

5. Dear Freind.

I work at Nigeria Bond Banc. I have recently been endowed with a $1billion US. I hope to get it to your countrys bank to where it will do much good for both our countrys.

But I need assistance from a good, christian and honest person.

I can arrange for this monies to be depositied in your bank, and you can keep half for your trouble.

In order to facilitate the transfer of this monies, I need set up a transfer and pay transfer fee.

This will be $10,000. If you could wire me this moneies I beleive those who I front will gladly allow you to take this monies from the total sum in addition to your share.

Yours.....

6. And to my mind, therein lies a part of the problem: 1bn to one of the most corrupt countries in the world and we cannot comment without guilt lest it be considered racist.

Unusually, I would welcome Ash's and Whet's views on this subject: Many in Britain are facing financial hardship, yet EU money is going to a country with a financial track record that would shame Enron.

7. @ chocolate_frog

:D

Yup, we've all had those emails,

But One Billion Euros ?

If you pay taxes in the EU that's your money. Sod the bankers' bonuses, that's peanuts. How did this tidy little deal happen.

BTW, I'm happy to chat about DDR in Nigeria if that's even an issue in this rather large transfer of money from the EU to Nigeria.

8. At least it saves some of the poor dears from having to send out emails to get the wonga.

Are all the main tribes - Ebo, Yoriba and Hausa - all just as bad?

9. Astonishing. Ok, no it isn't; the EU's and our grossly incompetent leaderships clearly feel that the money will do some 'good'. It will be promptly invested in real estate and prostitutes in California, of course, and the lower social orders in the Delta will continue with no discernable change in their circumstances. Still, the good news is that it's only taxpayers' money; it doesn't affect the average MEP's or Commissioner's expense account.

10. ...and I see that Sani Abacha's son has just had $350million in assets seized by the Swiss authorities. That was some of what his dad had stashed in various Gnomic banks, the loot of 4-and-a-half years of Presidency amounting to well over $2billion.

It's been calculated that the amount of cash stolen by officials and politicians in Nigeria is roughly equal to all of the 'aid' sent to the whole of the continent since 1950. That's a lot of Swiss cheese.

11. Possibly the EU could save time and just deposit the money straight into the presidents Swiss bank account.Seems a bit pointless sending it to Nigeria first.

12. And it looks like I am just about to start working over there, as soon as I can sort out the tax issues. No, not ironic at all...

13. Well the emails are bound to continue!

I haven't worked much in the north, so I don't have much experience of the low level corruption among the Hausa. But at Presidential level, some of the northern military heads of state showed themselves to be remarkably adept at pocketing money.

In my experience, the Yoruba and Igbo are equally corrupt (or honest for that matter) but the Yoruba tend to be a bit more sophisticated in their scams while the Igbo, Ijaws, and other south-east groups tend to turn to violence more readily.

14. CC,

PM me if you want a heads-up on tax issues (or any other issues).

15. I was always surprised at the difference in attitude that a wholly artificial national boundary could make. God alone knows the problems Africa as a whole has with corruption and despotism are not confined just to Nigeria, but I never felt as deeply uncomfortable in East Africa as I did in West and Nigeria in particular.

There are people I've met through work in Kenya and Tanzania who I now count as personal friends, but never met anyone I cared too much to befriend from Nigeria. With the exception of one rather charming lady who keeps trying to convert me to Methodism, I've found them overwhelmingly to be appallingly rude, arrogant and pushy. The Ghanaians I know are nowhere near as annoying and their country marginally but noticeably better run.