European Elections 2019

If we end up going for a GE and Bercow is still in the chair, it would definitely be in BXPs interest to defy convention and run against him. Don’t know if he’s in a strong Remain or Leave constituency.

As an aside, it utterly beggars belief that it’s so ridiculously difficult to remove a Speaker. (I fully appreciate the bar should be a high one to stop short term party politics affecting the supposed neutrality of the speaker.)
That convention only covers the main parties. Greens and UKIP have both fielded candidates against him in 2015 and 2017. If we have another GE before we leave the EU, the Brexit party will put up a candidate against him. The near 50:50 referendum split in his constituency would make it a close run thing.

That convention only covers the main parties. Greens and UKIP have both fielded candidates against him in 2015 and 2017. If we have another GE before we leave the EU, the Brexit party will put up a candidate against him. The near 50:50 referendum split in his constituency would make it a close run thing.
Blooming hope so. Regardless, if they end up as kingmakers, if they had any sense they would state they had no confidence in Bercow and make it a condition he’s removed prior to entering into any sort of agreement.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
It used to be the deal that the Speaker was impartial. Ho ho ho.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
One or two GEs ago there was a chance to get rid of Bercow but TWO independents ran against him, each refused to give the other a clear pass, result anti-Bercow vote split and plot failed.

If we end up going for a GE and Bercow is still in the chair, it would definitely be in BXPs interest to defy convention and run against him. Don’t know if he’s in a strong Remain or Leave constituency.

As an aside, it utterly beggars belief that it’s so ridiculously difficult to remove a Speaker. (I fully appreciate the bar should be a high one to stop short term party politics affecting the supposed neutrality of the speaker.)
That would require a Squeaker who is actually neutral. Come back, Betty - all is forgiven! Not that she seemed to have much to forgive. Not comparatively speaking, at least.

By the by, didn't UKIP put someone up against Bercow once? Possibly even Farage himself...?

Or was that just an aspirational threat...?

Edited to add: Post here seen.

But that’s it He isn’t neutral in a Parliament that has hijacked Government.

One or two GEs ago there was a chance to get rid of Bercow but TWO independents ran against him, each refused to give the other a clear pass, result anti-Bercow vote split and plot failed.
Bercow's worst result was in 2010, when (as Speaker) he only got 47.3%. That was the time that UKIP fielded one Nigel Farage, who took 17.4%, putting him in third (of eleven) place behind John Stevens, an ex-Tory MEP.

My step brother a few years below had also got his report, mainly Ds and Es with a single C for PE.
Weird. PE, Sport and Art were not mentioned on reports of schools I attended.

I read just recently Bercow has no intention of standing down.

It seems to me Bercow is becoming some sort of self-appointed prevent Brexit instrument.

He should be removed from his current position.
Rather like PMTM then?

PM May - is she really going?

Be worried

...There is concern that Mrs May could come under huge pressure from EU leaders to make concessions, even though she will be serving in a caretaker capacity as leader of the UK. Just hours after Mrs May’s resignation speech, French President Emmanuel Macron urged “swift clarification” on Brexit.’

Peter Hitchens might not have been so wrong when he laughingly warned last week that Theresa May could still be PM in 2029.

BBC reporter and Brexitcast host Chris Mason has pointed out: ‘The speech yesterday was May tending her resignation as leader of the Tory party. Not as Prime Minister’....
Very worried

Are there other factors in the swing to Limp Dems and Greens, Greens are certainly flavor of the month given recent antics in London Town and other cities and the activities of an autistic Swedish schoolgirl, cause is pan European and worldwide. Perhaps the students/snowflakes and assorted yoof vote has move from Magic Grandad and his 'free everything' to a more ethical and trendy 'Green' ?
On don't understand, didn't know, the young etc

Most interviewed are Manchester Uni Students

One female student says "I'm not every well educated" :facepalm

imo we can safely dismiss Remoaners claims about "Leave didn't know" and "young are knowledgeable"

Weird. PE, Sport and Art were not mentioned on reports of schools I attended.
They were on a separate section at the bottom of the page on ours, just above musical instrument and elocution lessons for those that did them.

So we have had the elections, end of May and we approach the third week of June and no clear decisions as to who is going to fill what roles. Last time round it took till the end of August.

One thing that disturbs me is that my prediction that buffoon Verhofstadt would just disappear is getting another top job. He could be made President of the European Parliament, a deal made between liberals and the right so the right can then get Commission Presidency. This yet again sums up the EU for me, jobs for the boys, deals within deals to maintain the status quo and and attempt to change this will not be tolerated.

Yet again confirming why I voted leave, its not the votes that count but what the EU cabal want.

Pact could mean top EU jobs for Verhofstadt and conservatives