European Elections 2019

Last week I signed up for my EU Elections Polling Clerk training in 5 days time, yesterday I agreed my contract for polling clerk duties on the 23rd, today I received my postal ballot.

Not bad going considering Mrs May thinks that the UK will not be participating in the European Elections 2019.

I could not find a thread so I started this - (Delete if required)

Archie

Following the locals my money is on the Tories and Labour stitching up a Brexit deal and thereby preventing the need for a Euro election.

Neither of the big two parties wants to go through the humiliation that will be handed to them in the Euros.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Following the locals my money is on the Tories and Labour stitching up a Brexit deal and thereby preventing the need for a Euro election.

Neither of the big two parties wants to go through the humiliation that will be handed to them in the Euros.
In order to do that they have to take their back benchers with them. Thus far they’ve been unable to do that.

They’re reading into the Local Government results whatever they want to. Remainers claim it shows that Remain is now the people’s choice. PMTM says it proves people back her deal and Leavers day it proves that we want to leave.

Other commentators say that we can’t be sure because in many cases people were still voting on local issues.

The EU election will probably be more indicative because it will be all about BREXIT.

My outgoing MEP is a Tory. She was a Remainer but has converted to Leave because of the behaviour of the EU leadership. I think she supports May’s deal so I doubt if I will vote for her.

I quite like the look of my BREXIT party candidate. Clearly he wants out of the EU but he is not a right wing knucklehead - Indeed he is a gay black man with socially liberal views.

I suspect they’ll be getting my vote.

The Brexit Party are in a great position for the Euro Elections, and providing they don’t head down the UKIP route of making themselves unelectable by associating with the unacceptable elements. I have high hopes that this election will shut up those who see the LD success in the local elections as some sort of massive swing behind the Remain campaign.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs

I don't think the EU wants mates of our Nige either

If it’s correct that some 75% of MPs are remainers that going to be some struggle.
It's like the remainers keep telling us. There will be terrible shortages if we proceed with Brexit. If we don't proceed with Brexit, there will be terrible shortages too, starting with pitchforks and burning torches.

Unfortunately I doubt Farage will be fielding a candidate in Monifieth so I have, as yet, no idea who I will be voting for. I do know however who I won't be voting for and it's a long list!

I imagine the deal between the craven wretch and Steptoe is already done and dusted... t's crossed and i's dotted, another choccy biscuit with your tea Jezzer, why thank you Treeza, I believe I will.

All that's left is to announce it (and just how hard the two new best mates have worked at it) at the last possible second left to prevent Euro elections and hey ho, fait accompli - permanent, fee paying and representation free associate membership.

I imagine the deal between the craven wretch and Steptoe is already done and dusted... t's crossed and i's dotted, another choccy biscuit with your tea Jezzer, why thank you Treeza, I believe I will.

All that's left is to announce it (and just how hard the two new best mates have worked at it) at the last possible second left to prevent Euro elections and hey ho, fait accompli - permanent, fee paying and representation free associate membership.
Isn't that exactly what the sainted Farage of the faint-hearted was calling for before the last referendum? You know, the Norway option?

Isn't that exactly what the sainted Farage of the faint-hearted was calling for before the last referendum? You know, the Norway option?
What? Another choccy biscuit with his tea?

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, done just to stop the Farage support bus in it's tracks.

Should it happen I'm convinced there will be repurcussions for years to come, and for both partys and parties.

EU parliamentary elections and the Brexit headache
EU parliamentary elections and the Brexit headache

Lots of info at Politico on the EU elections:
2019 European Elections

EU reform was mentioned on a Conservative thread but seems more appropriate here. Whether we leave or remain, so long as it exists the EU will still have a significant influence on the UK and Europe. The question of reform is often raised but what reform and is it reform in name only? Macron favours further integration.

Politico articles on the subject of EU reform: EU reform - POLITICO

Centre For European Reform - A think tank Centre for European Reform | The Centre for European Reform is an award winning independent think-tank devoted to making the EU work better, and strengthening its role in the world. We are pro-European but not uncritical.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
They are definitely happening
Brexit party for me

Right now, Vince Cable is no doubt rubbing his hands together at the prospect of winning all those MEP seats, based on the Lib Dems recent election "success".

Pause, two, three.

Bwahahaha.
He's probably too busy congratulating Turkeys President Erdoğan on planning to hold a second people's vote

Quite a large ballot paper for the South West Region

Change Uk - The independent Group
Conservative & Unionist Party
English Democrats
Green Party
Labour Party
Liberal Democrats
The Brexit Party
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
Larch Ian Albert Frank Maxey - Independant
Mothiur Rahman - Independent
Neville Seed - Independant

Lots to confuse people and potential to split votes

Archie

You could stick a red rose on a fecking cabbage and it would be voted in around here tbh, although with the shambles that has been Brexit and the majority of people voting Leave I can see the Brexit party putting one over the Labour candidate quite easily.

No way will any of the mainstream parties be getting my vote.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Quite a large ballot paper for the South West Region

Change Uk - The independent Group
Conservative & Unionist Party
English Democrats
Green Party
Labour Party
Liberal Democrats
The Brexit Party
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
Larch Ian Albert Frank Maxey - Independant
Mothiur Rahman - Independent
Neville Seed - Independant

Lots to confuse people and potential to split votes

Archie
The vote that will most probably be split is the Remain vote.

The Brexit Party (big clue in the name) will attract votes from former UKIP supporters concerned the party is borderline racist, Labour and Tory Brexit supporters and those who just want to give May/the Tories a bloody nose.

The Remain vote will be split among the remaining Labour and Tory voters, Change UK, the Limp Dems and possibly the Greens.

Current opinion polling suggests the Brexit Party is going to wind the major share of the vote by a considerable margin.

Wordsmith