European Continent Gas Shortage - Austrian Gas Explosion

Massive Austria gas plant blast plunges Europe into energy crisis as shortage hits

Massive Austria gas plant blast plunges Europe into energy crisis as shortage hits

ENERGY prices across Europe have soared after an explosion ripped through one of the continent’s biggest supply hubs.
Pipeline deliveries across large parts of the continent have been thrown into chaos as a result of the deadly blast at the Baumgaerten site in eastern Austria.

In Britain, Europe's biggest gas market, the price of gas for immediate delivery soared by 35 per cent to 92p per therm, its highest level since 2013.

The Italian wholesale day-ahead price surged nearly doubled to £41.44 per megawatt-hour, its highest ever recorded level.

And Italy has declared a state of emergency as a result of the fuel crisis with industry minister Carlo Calenda warning of a "serious" energy supply problem

Looks quite serious and demonstrates how non-resilient we are these days - if Russia wanted to turn off its taps they could hold Europe to a barrel!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Part of the problem is that the big energy suppliers have no incentive to invest in gas storage, so have relatively modest capabilities to store gas. This has at least two effects.
  1. They can't buy and store gas in the summer when prices are lower.
  2. They're fornicated if there are major problems in the gas supply chain.
Politicians will no doubt pop-up to say something must be done then do the square root of fornicate all when the electorate have forgotten about it in the summer.

It's not as if this came out the the blue; the lack of storage capacity goes back decades.

Wordsmith :mad:

As Germany has modest gas storage facilities, there should be no problem short term.
In fact the Germans have not had a gas problem since '45.

The tinfoil hat brigade might well be salivating over this one. Is it IS, Russian sabotage, Illuminati, Zionists or maybe Trump, the latter of course will be busy spreading his own tinfoil hat ideas, it was down to Hilary perhaps.

Also a crack on the oil pipeline in h UK.

One of the UK's most important oil pipelines is being closed after a crack was discovered in Aberdeenshire.

The Forties pipeline carries crude North Sea oil across land for processing at Grangemouth.

The crack was discovered last week at Red Moss near Netherley.

The pipeline's owner Ineos said on Monday that, despite pressure being reduced, the crack had extended. The Forties pipeline carries about 40% of North Sea crude oil.

More than 80 platforms will have to suspend production. The price of Brent crude rose about 2% to $64.69 a barrel amid surprise that the pipeline could be shut for about three weeks - far longer than expected.

Ineos said there would be a big impact on the industry but not on consumers

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
As Germany has modest gas storage facilities, there should be no problem short term.
In fact the Germans have not had a gas problem since '45.
Having been channeling @meerkatz, I've turned myself into an instant expert by Googling. This paper seems to have a good summary of the position.

https://infrastructure.planninginsp...094-130409_EN030001_Chris_Le_Fevre_Report.pdf

Although the author does come to an interesting conclusion - yes we have an storage shortage and no, we don't need to build any more.

I've only skim read it thus far, but it does seem to explain the issues well.

Wordsmith

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Having been channeling @meerkatz, I've turned myself into an instant expert by Googling. This paper seems to have a good summary of the position.

https://infrastructure.planninginsp...094-130409_EN030001_Chris_Le_Fevre_Report.pdf

Although the author does come to an interesting conclusion - yes we have an storage shortage and no, we don't need to build any more.

I've only skim read it thus far, but it does seem to explain the issues well.

Wordsmith
However from 2017 does this make it sound worse? Closure of UK’s largest gas storage site ‘could mean volatile prices’

The tinfoil hat brigade might well be salivating over this one. Is it IS, Russian sabotage, Illuminati, Zionists or maybe Trump, the latter of course will be busy spreading his own tinfoil hat ideas, it was down to Hilary perhaps.
It when them lot unite that we are really in the shite......

well, yous lot are...im fecking larfing.

to be fair if I was trying to overturn western democracy I'd look to attack easy targets such as water treatment, power, gas but for a really serious effect then McDonalds central supply hub or the facebook/twatter server s would destroy civilisation as we know it!!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This is why, when my gas boiler dies quietly, I have considered replacing gas central heating with individual modern-technology single room electric radiators. Electricity is generated in numerous ways and just comes out of the socket. Gas comes from Russia, who could have us over a barrel.

But considering it is as far as I have got.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
This is why, when my gas boiler dies quietly, I have considered replacing gas central heating with individual modern-technology single room electric radiators. Electricity is generated in numerous ways and just comes out of the socket. Gas comes from Russia, who could have us over a barrel.

But considering it is as far as I have got.
We need fracking and fast.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We need fracking and fast.
I'm amenable to fracking, but ultimately, one day the gas will turn off. Because there's none left or because the Russians have turned it off is immaterial.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm amenable to fracking, but ultimately, one day the gas will turn off. Because there's none left or because the Russians have turned it off is immaterial.
The backing fracking Facebook page is useful, lot of protestors making problems, Russian friend of mine thinks they're paid by Moscow, who knows.

Part of the problem is that the big energy suppliers have no incentive to invest in gas storage, so have relatively modest capabilities to store gas. This has at least two effects.
  1. They can't buy and store gas in the summer when prices are lower.
  2. They're fornicated if there are major problems in the gas supply chain.
Politicians will no doubt pop-up to say something must be done then do the square root of fornicate all when the electorate have forgotten about it in the summer.

It's not as if this came out the the blue; the lack of storage capacity goes back decades.

Wordsmith :mad:
We are supposed to be replacing all of our coal fired power stations with gas by 2025, yet for some reason we've just closed the Rough gas storage facility after 32 years of use.

We've had decades of incompetent governments when it comes to energy. Doubly so when that Milliband idiot drafted the Climate Change Act and subsequent governments have honoured it.

Personally I'm hoping for a brown out for a few days. A catastrophe is the only way to get anything changed.

Latest Threads