Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find.

How inconvenient for some;

"But two fossils of an ape-like creature which had human-like teeth have been found in Bulgaria and Greece, dating to 7.2 million years ago......The species was also found to be several hundred thousand years older than the oldest African hominid, Sahelanthropus tchadensis which was found in Chad.
"We were surprised by our results, as pre-humans were previously known only from sub-Saharan Africa," said doctoral student Jochen Fuss, a Tübingen PhD student who conducted this part of the study."

Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find

Scientists seem to find something different every other week which contradicts their previous findings. So I just take everything with a grain of salt.

Hence, that's why I believe the earth is flat.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
That's a pity, if it's true. It was always most satisfying to point out to the racist deadheads that, ultimately, all of our ancestors were black.

MsG

That's a pity, if it's true. It was always most satisfying to point out to the racist deadheads that, ultimately, all of our ancestors were black.

MsG
Was that the black Irish side of your family that was killed by the British Army - Twice?

David Begun, co-author of the paper, has been following up similar ideas for a while

As I understand it, the suggestion is that our lineage may have split from that of the chimpanzees outside Africa, spread back into Africa (where its ancestors had originated) and then become extinct outside Africa. It then evolved further and ultimately spread outside Africa once more.

As the article suggests, it is early days for this theory.

DaManBugs- I wouldn't be downhearted. Current thinking is that our common ancestors with chimpanzees had pale skin under dark fur/hair, like today's chimps. Once we lost almost all our body hair, under the hot African sun, we evolved dark skin. The article doesn't put us outside Africa at the time hair loss set in. So the theory about black ancestors is unaffected.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Was that the black Irish side of your family that was killed by the British Army - Twice?
Wow! That must have taken a tremendous intellectual effort on your part. Would you like to sit down for a while?

MsG

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, we’ll sit down and remember your dear departed, twice.
Thanks for that, mush. Much appreciated. I'll let my rellies know - that is those who weren't killed twice by the British Army. I'm sure they'll very much appreciate your thoughfulness. :-D:-D:-D

MsG

It's a long, complex story, full of the egos of those doing the research, it seems. There's a new theory every other week about the 'oldest' hominin or relative, or where they originated from, usually to be found in the Archaeological News.
One good one from a few years ago was the revelation that our forefathers shagged any old monkey which happened to be around; must have made wedding lists awkward, let alone the work of evolutionary biologists.

Careful, Drugsy's a renowned street fighter, never beaten on the cobbles!

How inconvenient for some;

"But two fossils of an ape-like creature which had human-like teeth have been found in Bulgaria and Greece, dating to 7.2 million years ago......The species was also found to be several hundred thousand years older than the oldest African hominid, Sahelanthropus tchadensis which was found in Chad.
"We were surprised by our results, as pre-humans were previously known only from sub-Saharan Africa," said doctoral student Jochen Fuss, a Tübingen PhD student who conducted this part of the study."

Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find
He must have a fecking big paper round if that's only just got to you.

From a somewhat sceptical SME

Regardless, humans didn’t evolve 7 million years ago. Sahelanthropus and even Lucy do not look like anyone you would call “human.” Humans have only been around for about 3 million years, and our own specific species is only about 300,000 years old.

No, Graecopithecus does not prove humans evolved in Europe