Europe riots, all about fuel, honest

Watching some of these videos reminds me of a comment made about how we are "policed by consent". We take a police uniform as an authority figure and as good little citizens do what ever we are told. The police on the other hand understand that as soon as that authority is questioned by enough people they don't really have a leg to stand on.
I think what we might well have here is a uniquely French problem.

The thing is, over the last sixty years or so, the French state has worked on the Enormous Faceless Bureaucracy model of running things, with an elected tit up front for the masses to alternately shout at, laugh at and wonder at all the birds he's allegedly shagging.

When enough is enough, the unions call a general strike and everyone, everyone everywhere even in completely unrelated industries, comes out on strike for whatever reason. This is the only thing that makes the French state listen and respond constructively, and the French know it. This is a particularly stupid thing to teach the populace, especially if it is the only tool for making governments listen, since it ends up getting used every time enough people have a grievance.

What happened this time is that a particularly moronic French President decided to put up taxes, at a time when the French have already had about as much as they can take of life in general. The Euro is the main culprit here, since it is a compromise between the strengths of currency needed by all constituent states. This works out as "suits Germany very well" and "buggers the economy of everyone else who isn't a super-industrial workaholic".

Greece is on its arrse (but then, Greece has longstanding form for, and much practice at being thus indisposed), the Italians are revolting (when they're not thieving stuff off of EU projects), the Eastern European lot are getting VERY upset at the EU acting like their former Soviet masters and trying to tell them what to do; about the only country in the entire EU that doesn't have something like UKIP about to seize power is Britain. The French are only acting out what every other state feels, only putting a uniquely Gallic slant on it.

Anyone else finding it odd our media are barely covering it?
I hope he had a licence for driving that thing....
I love the way they smash the gates in, tentatively look through into the world beyond then cautiously step onward. Not exactly the definition of "rampaging mobs" is it?

Perhaps somewhere there is a cartoon of Macron sitting there with a speech bubble behind him saying "they are protesting the price of fuel" and Macron responding let them use E10 or another ethanol derivative..." Or is that just too much of a similarity to Marie Antionette and her "let them eat cake" speech?

Not surprising really, they're probably rather scared of a repeat of it over here

Labour is already trying to start it up here through front organisations, the irony being if that got in power they'd be the first to crack down on the workers having a voice

True, but French and other Gendarmerie have never needed consent, nor ever aspired to it, they just have more guns and training than the other guys have.
Not a lot of legal or judicial oversight helps too.
The first Gilets Jaunes protests of the New Year are today apparently, I am off into town to watch some Top 14 rugby and in our local town (pop. circa 7,000) they will be back out too.
This has (if it doesn't fizzle out) the potential of derailing any EU aspirations Manny has, the public deficit against GDP will be 3.4% soon, well above the 2% aspiration and many figures are not too dissimilar to those of Italy.

Country comparison Italy vs France 2019
We had a march here this weekend and last weekend (Northern France), fairly substantial things but peaceful as far as I could tell.

Outside of Paris and a couple of other cities it is all peaceful.
When I venture into the local town (with its 1x roundabout) it is people I know and recognise, day-time normally the grannies and retired.
Personally speaking I am amazed it is still going in this weather.
Day time TV here is obviously shite too.
I also think it is time for them to knock it on the head, they have won substantial concessions and should call it a draw now.
If Manny goes back on anything they have shown what can happen and can mobilise again.
His spending and budget plans have been knocked back for 4 or 5 years, the only way he can get the deficit down is to cut spending further which is a no-no.
I mentioned it before but worth repeating that there are now a lot of similarities between France and Italy, the French GDP to public deficit will be up to 3.4% this coming year, way above what the EU would like from its soon to be second largest member.

I mentioned it before but worth repeating that there are now a lot of similarities between France and Italy, the French GDP to public deficit will be up to 3.4% this coming year, way above what the EU would like from its soon to be second largest member.

Expect new taxes imposed by the EU then, they are whacking their budget up to splurge on new projects and to pay for Junkers drinks bill

Perhaps with the whole millenial vegan trend they'll introduce meat credits in a similar way to carbon credits, nothing would surprise me with the EU model of tax and spend

Expect new taxes imposed by the EU then, they are whacking their budget up to splurge on new projects and to pay for Junkers drinks bill

Perhaps with the whole millenial vegan trend they'll introduce meat credits in a similar way to carbon credits, nothing would surprise me with the EU model of tax and spend
Actually, this could well be the end of the Euro and with it, the end of any credibility for the EU.

Of all EU countries, only Germany really benefits from the Euro. In currency terms the Euro is weaker than the Mark would be if Germany were running its own currency. This means that German industry can export much more freely than would otherwise be the case.

What you have to remember about the other countries of Europe is that most of the politics developed whilst they all had their own currencies. Britain did, too, although inventive folks that we are we managed to develop a political party stupid enough and inventive enough to land ourselves in the smelly even with the free market trying to stop us. This, by the way, is the same inventiveness that Jeremy "Magic Grandpa" Corbyn wants to try and resurrect, because it all worked so wonderfully last time it was tried.

Most of the rest of Europe has their own version of Magic Grandpa. Mostly they're equally thick, mostly they were worked around and the key to it all was a free-floating currency. If a place had crap output, few exports and taxed everything that moved, then it would become the Land of Cash-in-Hand and have banknotes made by Andrex.

Stick all these dozy Herberts into the Euro, and the balancing mechanism is lost. The balancing mechanism they didn't know was there and which was making up for their being really crap at running stuff now isn't there, and right across the continent this stunning lack of talent is showing up all over the place. The Italian Mafia are running rampant, the French are on strike and rioting and the Greeks are up a certain creek without a paddle (but spend so much time there normally that it's home from home).

All over the continent bad debts are piling up, and though they are certainly world championship class can-kickers, the ECB cannot hide the rot forever. When Britain goes, the EU will try to enact taxes to make up for the money we're suddenly not giving them any more. France will riot, again. So will Italy. Brace yourselves, folks, this is going to be a rough few years.

Vive les gilets jaunes! I bloody hate speed cameras.
'Gilets jaunes activists have reportedly destroyed over half of France’s speed cameras in protest against speed limits introduced last year. Up to 65 per cent of the cameras have been smashed, set ablaze, blown up, painted or covered with the yellow jackets that give the movement its name, The Times reports.'
Yellow jacket protesters 'destroy over half of speed cameras' in France
A different take on the origin of their name...

It started on 10 October, with a Facebook appeal launched by two fed-up truck drivers from the Seine-et-Marne department, east of Paris, calling for a “national blockade” of France’s road network in protest against rising fuel prices.
Within days the campaign had gathered 200,000 backers and spawned hundreds of local spinoffs across the country; two weeks later, a video urging motorists to display their hi-vis yellow vests behind their windscreens in solidarity garnered 4m views.
The gilets jaunes, named after the vest drivers are required to carry in their vehicles, were born, and since 17 November, the movement’s first nationwide day of action, its sustained, sometimes violent protests have rocked France.

How hi-vis yellow vest became symbol of protest beyond France

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
This weekend in London (and no doubt other places around the UK.

Saw this on a news website but didn't know whether to put it here or the snowflakes threads. I'm pretty sure in the original painting Liberty had her tits out, but in the latest PC world we can't have that (unless it's topless girlies protesting that an 18 year old Saudi girl who ran away from home to Indonesia should get a visa into Australia).

liberty.jpg

Saw this on a news website but didn't know whether to put it here or the snowflakes threads. I'm pretty sure in the original painting Liberty had her tits out, but in the latest PC world we can't have that (unless it's topless girlies protesting that an 18 year old Saudi girl who ran away from home to Indonesia should get a visa into Australia).

View attachment 370965
She does.The dirty scutter!
mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

Not especially. The media has the attention span of goldfish. When events become repetitive and commonplace they will move on to something else.

If the situation escalates or if there is a new angle or something novel, they will become interested again.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And how much of it organised by Momentum/Labour/Marxist front organisations?
I took that from a DFLA page, hardly one of the organisations mentioned in your post.

Latest Threads