Europe riots, all about fuel, honest

Watching some of these videos reminds me of a comment made about how we are "policed by consent". We take a police uniform as an authority figure and as good little citizens do what ever we are told. The police on the other hand understand that as soon as that authority is questioned by enough people they don't really have a leg to stand on.

If enough marchers take on enough police then it all starts to come apart at the seams

True, but French and other Gendarmerie have never needed consent, nor ever aspired to it, they just have more guns and training than the other guys have.
Not a lot of legal or judicial oversight helps too.
The first Gilets Jaunes protests of the New Year are today apparently, I am off into town to watch some Top 14 rugby and in our local town (pop. circa 7,000) they will be back out too.
This has (if it doesn't fizzle out) the potential of derailing any EU aspirations Manny has, the public deficit against GDP will be 3.4% soon, well above the 2% aspiration and many figures are not too dissimilar to those of Italy.

Country comparison Italy vs France 2019

True, but French and other Gendarmerie have never needed consent, nor ever aspired to it, they just have more guns and training than the other guys have.
Not a lot of legal or judicial oversight helps too.
The first Gilets Jaunes protests of the New Year are today apparently, I am off into town to watch some Top 14 rugby and in our local town (pop. circa 7,000) they will be back out too.
This has (if it doesn't fizzle out) the potential of derailing any EU aspirations Manny has, the public deficit against GDP will be 3.4% soon, well above the 2% aspiration and many figures are not too dissimilar to those of Italy.

Country comparison Italy vs France 2019
Sure there was one in Toulouse on the 2nd

Watching some of these videos reminds me of a comment made about how we are "policed by consent". We take a police uniform as an authority figure and as good little citizens do what ever we are told. The police on the other hand understand that as soon as that authority is questioned by enough people they don't really have a leg to stand on.

If enough marchers take on enough police then it all starts to come apart at the seams
Surely, though, 'policing by consent' means that the law-abiding public consents to the presence of uniformed coppers on the street and detective services, with the aim of protecting the public from ne'er-do-wells.
It does not mean that those who choose to break the law should consent.

There was one guy I saw getting dragged off the march to the meatwagon on Gateshead High Street. Dont know what he dod to get flung in the van. Everybody marched down the Swing Bridge, on to the Forth Banks cop station. About 30 protesters in total.

This bloke looks rather handy, seen in two different clips. Looks like the police are not having a good day of it.

This bloke looks rather handy, seen in two different clips. Looks like the police are not having a good day of it.

I am sure he thinks he is awesome after that, but being punched in the visor or on your robocop doesn't hurt at all while every one of those baton strikes will be a bit ouchy once the adrenaline/alcohol wears off.

Not as good as my personal favourite which was always sitting in a landrover watching some glue bag punch the metal grille over the side window and kick the armoured door. That used to keep me entertained for ages.

Just watched it on the national news here (TF1), looks like the tactic has changed slightly in Paris as the intended target today was the political quarter towards the Senate building, seems that is where the arseholes and rentamob were heading for.
Lots of cars and scooters/mopeds on fire again.
The authentic demonstrators kept to the usual route on the Champs Elysees apparently.
Manny does not have a lot more to give financially, but a good blast of a Siberian winter/snow/pissing it down with rain should help out in policing circles.

Surely, though, 'policing by consent' means that the law-abiding public consents to the presence of uniformed coppers on the street and detective services, with the aim of protecting the public from ne'er-do-wells.
It does not mean that those who choose to break the law should consent.
I agree fully, but the days of the boy in blue laying his hands on the bloke in the striped shirt and black mask and saying "You're nicked" and the arrestee saying "it's a fair cop I'll come quietly" are geting fewer. I agree that the majority of the citizenry will come quietly, but if the majority start resisting at the time of arrest then that authority is weakened. There will be a tipping point, in some areas I would say it's been passed already.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Last edited:
I am sure he thinks he is awesome after that, but being punched in the visor or on your robocop doesn't hurt at all while every one of those baton strikes will be a bit ouchy once the adrenaline/alcohol wears off.
I'll have to take your word for it... but if you're a Gendarme with the build of a stick insect I suspect that you may have felt it least just a little bit as Christophe Dettinger (soon to be banged up) slugs it out with your visor... note there's a yellow vester stood behind him with a chest mounted GoPro gathering evidence for the police to use against the boxer of course... or maybe not...

Last edited:
Seems that they are blaming him for the copper that went down on the bridge and received a kicking for this troubles on another video.
There were as you say two videos he was in, I just choose the clearer of two.

He is a bit tasty as it happens.
I feel, however, that we have just watched his last bout.
Licensed or otherwise, but his nickname gives it all away.

Qui est Christophe Dettinger, ancien champion de boxe filmé frappant des gendarmes
I would imagine he will be on the under card of prisons bouts for some time.

...it seems the fists weren't just flying from the protesters into the Gendrames. Looks like Gendarme Commandant Didier Andrieux leading the riot police in this video lost his marbles for a bit and laid into random bods... especially the black guy just trying to keep out of the way by the look of it around the 0'50" mark... smacking him in the face and cracking the back of his head against the building...'robust coppering' I think ....? (Awarded the Legion d'Honneur on 1st Jan as well....) tsk tsk....

I would imagine he will be on the under card of prisons bouts for some time.
Perhaps he'll have a sparring partner alongside him?

Last edited:
...it seems the fists weren't just flying from the protesters into the Gendrames. Looks like Gendarme Commandant Didier Andrieux leading the riot police in this video lost his marbles for a bit and laid into random bods... especially the black guy just trying to keep out of the way by the look of it around the 0'50" mark... smacking him in the face and cracking the back of his head against the building...'robust coppering' I think ....?
Not so sure how random the first one he smacked was. He went past about four other protesters to get to him.

Latest Threads