• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Europe Needs 20m more Immigrants

Europe must relax its immigration controls and open the door to an extra 20m workers during the next two decades, the European Union’s justice chief will say on Friday.

Franco Frattini, justice commissioner, is to tell the bloc’s immigration ministers in Lisbon that the EU should stop erecting barriers and instead build safe pathways for Africans and Asians who risk their lives heading to the continent to find a job.
Just what we need, another 20 million scroungers.

Well they could always take a couple of million off the UK's hands...

Old Franco must be a true fruitloop. If you look at the problems in France, Germany, Italy and Spain with the existing immigrants, how can these countries be expected to cope with more?

Until someone comes up with a working model for integrating immigrants then any mass immigration into the EU will cause strife and strengthen the extreme right of politics.

Maybe if we got all the people who already lived here, doing the jobs that people are risking their lives coming here to do, we wouldn't need to find houseing etc for 20M new people.

But then, maybe I'm just a tw@t who thinks my little country's already full :x

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The bl00dy Italians want 20m immigrants because they are good fodder for the Mafia.

We want 20m immigrants like a hole in the head.

Biped said:
The bl00dy Italians want 20m immigrants because they are good fodder for the Mafia.

Surely that should read "We want 20m immigrants with a hole in the head"?

Steven said:
Biped said:

Surely that should read "We want 20m immigrants with a hole in the head"?
Send them all I say. We can put them all to work on the same day as cockle pickers in Morecombe when there's a spring tide due.

While 85 per cent of unskilled labour goes to the EU and only five per cent to the US, some 55 per cent of skilled labour goes to the USA and only five per cent to the EU.

The Italian wants to reverse those figures by means of harmonised policies to allow in millions of extra workers of all abilities.

“All skill levels are required. The challenge is to attract the workers needed to fill specific gaps,” he will say. That runs counter to attempts by countries such as Britain to restrict access to prized skilled workers.
Nope I do not get this at all. When/where are we restricting access?

Supply and demand is a wonderful thing, but the big employers will simply use it to enforce lots of strict conditions on the workforce. Take the job or we'll replace you with an eastern european who is genuinely happy to work for minimum wage!

If the workforce continues to rise - and I mean a genuine workforce, rather than scroungers - then property will also feel the effect of supply and demand. House prices will continue to rise and more first-time buyers will suffer. Hooray for capitalism.

The Financial Times is a suspect publication with obscure goals. Not so long ago they also ran a story as to how Christmas is dead and good riddance since it was all a Dickensian invention.

PoisonDwarf said:
Supply and demand is a wonderful thing, but the big employers will simply use it to enforce lots of strict conditions on the workforce. Take the job or we'll replace you with an eastern european who is genuinely happy to work for minimum wage!

If the workforce continues to rise - and I mean a genuine workforce, rather than scroungers - then property will also feel the effect of supply and demand. House prices will continue to rise and more first-time buyers will suffer. Hooray for capitalism.
PD, from personal experience with employers who have brought in 'cheap' CEE workers nearly all apart from those with the most manual or basic jobs (cleaners, barmen, shelf-stacker, etc) have dispensed with the imported labour and gone back to British. This has resulted in 2 kinds of CEE employee in the UK: a thick layer at the very bottom, and a small dusting among the professionals (doctors, accountants, bankers, architects, etc). They are however very prominent (and welcome) in the building sector (provided you have a site manager and architect who can ensure modern building standards are applied).

Arguably the biggest problem facing a significant number of people leaving comprehensive schools in England is that they have no skills an employer can use. They cannot read complex documents, nor can they write in a clear and concise manner; text speak is their limit. While I am against a return to the worst excesses of the post war period (state schools to turn out drones for the factories), I am also against the absurd New Liarbour principle of forcing 50% of school leavers to attend university, when a more realistic figure is about 15-20%. That a person has a degree should be an achievement, but should not mask the fact that experience counts for a great deal, especially if on top of a good education (and I am not talking snob here with Eton etc. I mean getting a proper education which instills mental discipline, agility, reasoning and knowledge).

The UK is facing a 'lost generation' of people who have left schools with no skills. The minority of these are the most high profile: chav scum and scroungers. The vast majority will end up in dead end jobs because they do not have the skills when leaving school to do better. A minority of these will later attend evening classes, university, college etc and escape the rut. Brains after all has nothing to do with what school you went to or how rich your parents were.

House prices in the UK are directly linked to immigration. There are 600,000 plus Poles living in the UK, and while many of them will be living 4 to a room, the majority will not. It is also the case that 1st and 2nd generation immigrants tend to work harder at self improvement that indigenous populations (explains the huge number of asian doctors and lawyers and accountants - their percentage of these professions is far above thier population share). Culturally a lot of immigrants have larger families than is normal in the UK. In areas of Africa you need to have 10+ kids just so that 2 or 3 reach adulthood and can care for you when you are old. Other immigrants (e.g. Poles) have a religious aspect to birth control (being Catholic they are supposedly against it, though this usually only kicks in when they are married).

London is its own unique property market for many reasons, but can be summed up as being a result of it not only being the capital of the UK, but is also a global city. Even ignoring the 'mega' bonuses of some lucky (and v.hardworking) people in 'the city', the amount of foriegn cash coming in (Russian, Arab, Asian, American, etc) forces prices through the roof and keeps them there.

Presumably it's Poland that needs 20 million immigrants - i.e. the ones that are missing over here.

Must be tricky getting any building work done across there these days.

clownbasher said:
Presumably it's Poland that needs 20 million immigrants - i.e. the ones that are missing over here.

Must be tricky getting any building work done across there these days.
Having set up a company in Warsaw for a client a few months ago, I can confirm that it is now bloódy hard to get good junior and middle management or anyone with excellent multi-lingual skills for a low salary. Poles now expect (and receive) about 70% of the UK wage for the same job. This will increase as the Poles have a great education system, though some of them are a little bit too CEE in outlook.

Latest Threads