Europe Commits Suicide

The Italian writer Oriana Fallaci is facing jail after suggesting in her book 'The Force of Reason' that Islam and the West's attitude to it puts the West in grave danger. Her most strident Muslim opponent (in Italy) is suspected of calling upon Muslims to eliminate her. So she may have a point?

Its astringent thesis is that the Old Continent is on the verge of becoming a dominion of Islam and that the people of the West have surrendered themselves fecklessly to the "sons of Allah". So, in a nutshell, Fallaci faces up to two years' imprisonment for her beliefs - which is one reason why she has chosen to stay in New York. Let us give thanks for the First Amendment.

"When I was given the news, I laughed," Fallaci says of her indictment. "Bitterly, of course, but I laughed. No amusement, no surprise, because the trial is nothing else but a demonstration that everything I've written is true."

An activist judge in Bergamo, in northern Italy, took it upon himself to admit a complaint against Fallaci that even the local prosecutors would not touch. The complainant, one Adel Smith - who, despite his name, is Muslim, and an incendiary public provocateur to boot - has a history of anti-Fallaci crankiness and is widely believed to be behind the publication of a pamphlet, Islam Punishes Oriana Fallaci, which exhorts Muslims to "eliminate" her.
Full interview with Oriana Fallaci here. Powerful, eloquent (I'm assuming she gave the interview in English) stuff.

Oriana Fallaci

I for one, if it's not too Nazi for Arrse, agree with her.

saw same article and thought it an excellent example of the state of hypocracy within western europe of freedom of speech.

it is a shame that the leftie liberal media refuse to follow this, but anyone who suggests that europeans should be proud of their history and (individual) cultures (and dares to praise the Pope) is obviously of no consequence to them.

Darn those 'free speech' hating Italians

ADEL SMITH, 6 MONTHS SENTENCE FOR DEFAMING RELIGION
(AGI) - Padua, Italy, Jun 14 - Adel Smith, President of the Union of Italian
Muslims, was sentenced by the Padua court to 6 months in prison, converted
to a fine (over 6,000 euro), for the crime of defaming religion. On January
4, 2003, Adel Smith, during a TV program broadcast live on the Paduan
channel 'Serenissima Tv' made accusations against the Catholic church
defining it as "criminal association" and against Pope John Paul II, defined
as "a foreign man who heads the church" and "able double-crosser. [...] I
declared undeniable modern historic facts: for this reason I do not regret
my declarations. It seems to me that the sentence is political. I am very
curious to know what those think who yesterday invoked the freedom of
judgment and criticism today: is it so for me too?" Smith said he will
appeal against the sentence and if necessary will resort to European courts
"until he is acquitted." "I am confident and sure that at the end I will have justice." (AGI)
No link, story from factiva.

Oriana Fallaci is a complete raving fruitcake: If she opened her mouth in Ireland, UK, or Fance and expressed her most fevoured opinions, she be sent straight to the clanger, she's that far right.

a racist, dangerous person, with all the angst of a 15 year old goth who's getting the attention she craves.

all she's doing is taking the same old rants against evil 'others' that threaten 'us' and must be fought.

Tw@t

Bombard wrote:

Oriana Fallaci is a complete raving fruitcake: If she opened her mouth in Ireland, UK, or Fance and expressed her most fevoured opinions, she be sent straight to the clanger, she's that far right.

a racist, dangerous person, with all the angst of a 15 year old goth who's getting the attention she craves.

all she's doing is taking the same old rants against evil 'others' that threaten 'us' and must be fought.
Are you indulging in a bit of exteme irony there Bombard?

she's that far right.
No, just right.

Bombard said:

Tw@t
If anything was said by an extremist muslim advocating murder, the overthrow of parlimentary democracy and their general poison we give them Asylum,houses, money, legal aid etc. If something controversial, but in no way as disgusting as Smith or any of his fellow travellers such as Masari, Baraki Dr Hook etc is said by a middle class white christian there is uproar and the tired old race card is played. I'm not sure about her but she has highligthed some realities.

How do you propose she be "fought" a few demos outside the students union?

[align=right]No mate, she's so faarrrrrrr right she calls Le Pen a communist. [/align]

Come on dude, there's been people like her throughout our bloody history. She's just the latest xenophobic, racist, over religious, nationalist, tool.

She has just enough facts to make people think she's right about her lies. Basic procedure when lying to people. Tell them lots of little truths to get them to believe the one big lie.

And again: If she opened her mouth in Ireland, she'd be charged. The same in UK, the same in France. I'm not sure about the laws in other European countries.

Lads, I'm not excusing any terrorist-Muslim or red army faction. All I'm saying is that this particular lunatic is wrong as well. She's about as much right to spout the rubbish as they do.

Wonder where the journo's parents were from? "Tunku Varadarajan"?

On a different note, Driving home last night I passed a 00-D Focus with two little European flags beside the middle brake light. First one I've seen.

Bombard said:
Wonder where the journo's parents were from? "Tunku Varadarajan"?
Parents are southern Indians, bloke was born in Dehli - was lecturer a lecturer in law.

If you actually read her polemic The Rage and The Pride its not that great. Its full of embarrasing mistakes, sterotypes and displays a quite a lot of ignorance. However being typical Fallaci it's quite fun to read.

She has always been an egocentric show boater her excruciating memoir of her affair with a leftist Greek terrorist being the prime example of her egocentricty.
Its actually not that suprising to see her become such a rabid Islamophobe, her previous anti-americanism was hilarious - she basically was a follwer of the Tehran school of anti-americanism.
Even back then she was even too much for some Italian communists.

She is and will always be a hyper-extremist, who loves publicty and nothing is going to change that.

No good arguing with the Irish of any persuasion over anything..............they think their right all the time...duplitious tw@ts
....out

Well, that was a decent discussion derailed by a nice bit of slagging.
Anybody going to come up with something even vaguly interesting and relevant to the italian nutcase? or is it game set and match that yes, she is a nutcase?

I didn't know of Falluci or her work/associations before yesterday. I agree with what she says in the linked article and share her fears.

Bombard, how do Muslims get on in Ireland? Not that many (as a percentage) are there? Why do you think that is? Is there hostility towards Muslims? How about in Ulster? Welcome Asif, or not?

The French guard their culture more jealously than the rest of Europe (though not from the Germans) so I doubt there would be that much of an uproar unless a 'final solution' was advocated. As for Oriana Falluci 'changing sides', she's Italian...and right.

And as for "stereotypes" castlereagh, even one Muslim calling for her to be 'eliminated' has gone a long way to proving her point.

I was in Ireland recently and there are more and more of them, in fact I would say that the last ten years have seen a large rise in Muslims in Ireland. From what I am told they keep a low profile and do not appear to bite the hand of oportunity. I dont think Ireland would allow them to behave like some of the scumbags we have here but the liberal leftys in RTE (National Broadcaster) and other organisations are just as foolish as their British counterparts.

I dont think Paddy was ever keen on uncontrolled imigration INTO Ireland, thank you EU, but when Paddy went around the world their was no welfare state and if you gobbed off about the host state you were, quite rightly, lynched.

I think Paddy prefers Eastern Europeans such the Czechs and Poles to Muslims or others.... good breeding stock, hard workers and fit chicks

Falluci said:
How do you dare to ask me for a solution? It's like asking Seneca for a solution. You remember what he did?" She then gestures at slashing her wrists. "He committed suicide!"
riiiiggghhhhhtttttt....

Anyway. the muslims in Ireland are a tiny community, mainly concentrated in Dublin. Because of the size, and that many are in education or work in the Health services as medical staff, its easy to overlook the community and so there is very little unease. Most of the native community are of Pakistani, or Indian Muslim origen.

There have been no reports in the media of attack on Muslims, and generally few attacks on immigrants in the south. Unfortunatly, there is some internal crime, esp in the Albanian community.

I can't say much about the north: Any immigrant community is vulnerable there to hard men on both sides, and there have been a couple of attacks and threats reported.

About smith, two fruitcakes ranting at each other does not make a point. Fallici's idea is that every muslim is a threat to her glorious nationalism, much as every jew as a threat to Hitler, and every catholic a threat to Cromwell, Every kilak a threat to stalin and every white a threat to Mugabe. And the be honest, its rubbish.

Given her history, I'd be inclined to think that her bread and butter is being extreme and getting attention: Just like any wannabe celebrity.

The economist had a short comment on her and it wasn't complementory.

http://www.economist.com/research/a...fm?story_id=4198523&subject=MIL&tranMode=none
"THERE is nothing al-Qaeda would like more than for Europeans to turn on Muslims in their midst, uniting fundamentalist militants with those who are neither fundamentalist nor militant. In that sense, Osama bin Laden won yet another victory this week with the publication of another hate-filled, anti-Islamic diatribe by an Italian writer who has become noted for such diatribes: Oriana Fallaci. Over the past three years, the 76-year-old Ms Fallaci has carved out a role as the voice of what might be a new European racism—were race, not religion, her primary cause.… "