Europe braced for MEPs' expenses storm

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stinker, Jun 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Article in the Indy:

Europe braced for MEPs' expenses storm - Europe, World - The Independent

Whilst the abuse of expenses within the European Parliment is no suprise, a couple of lines in the article caught my eye.

"A meeting of senior MEPs is expected to accept a European Court of Justice ruling that there is an "overriding public interest in disclosure"."

Well thank you very much with complying with the law. Is the parliment really that unaccountable?

"Those who argued against the publication will be anxious it should not inflame the situation in Greece. Anger there is so far directed at the Commission and other nation member states, but that could spread."

So the average Greek blames the EU for spending all it's money - incredible.

Are they really that dense (mind you the last poll of UK voters wants Labour back because of the nasty Tories taking their money)? The reason they are in the financial shite is because they keep spending others nations cash?
  2. Some time ago, one of the MEP's (German I think) made a short documentary about his colleagues signing for a days pay at the parliament building early on a friday before buggering off to their constituencies for the weekend. Some of them were turning up at the finance office with their luggage ready for the plane. The point this chap was trying to make was that these low life were claiming for a days work whilst not being there. His film crew captured one Irish MEP who got particularly shitty about it. Security turned up and kicked out the (German?) MEP and his film crew because the dodgy claimants complained about invasions of privacy etc. What it showed was a blatant abuse of the system by greedy bastards.

The doc was made quite a while ago. Of course nothing was done about it and I presume that the piggies are still troughing to this day.

I wouldn't expect anything to come of this quite honestly.
  3. This is going to be absolutely hilarious.

I'm guessing at least one EU type has got at least £30,000 a year in taxi fees off expenses. Minimum.
  4. Actually LPJ something was done about it. They moved the sign in book from the public area into the members only area. The bloke who did the documentary was a TV investigative journo, which was why they could boot him out.
  5. Thanks for that Drlligaf, it did show the mindset of these distinguished representatives of democracy though.

I was sure that the journo was an MEP as well.
  6. HHH

HHH LE

They will now just pass a law saying their expenses can't be examined.
    Cnuts, the lot of them
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

8. Methinks it's going to make our lot look like a bunch of amateurs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It was Hans-Peter Martin, Austrian journo and MEP see link here >> Hans-Peter Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link to his video is here >> YouTube - ‪Expense Allowance Abuse by MEPs‬‏

He was thrown out of the building despite the fact he was entitled to be in there.

That's transparency folks.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It would be nice if some public spirited citizen leaked scans of the receipts to a newspaper.

But something tells me that whatever other data our incompetent UK and European state organisations can lose, this will be one set of data with perfect security.

Remember, when the Telegraph got their hands on our thieving MP's expenses, they got unredacted receipts - and thus could investigate properly. I suspect these receipts will be so thoroughly censored that the big scams will go undiscovered.

11. Is this the same organization that will not sign off on an audit of it's own finances?
  12. Bet some ****** has bought une maison canard on expenses.
  13. Too much to hope that the gallant UKIP are kicking up a stink about this I suppose :roll:

Voted for those ******* as well.
  14. IIRC, three of them have ended up in prison for MEP expenses fraud.

One of them was averaging £200 grand a year in pay and expenses in Strasbourg and still claiming housing benefit. At his first court appearence he was asked to plead and stated that, as an MEP, he was immune from prosecution in any EU member state.

You know what? He was right. Our government had to go cap in hand to Brussels to request permission to prosecute a British Citizen for defrauding British taxpayers while he was resident in Britain.

It goes without saying that MEPs will have been taking the pi$$ with their expenses but granting themselves immunity from the criminal law is more than a little frightening.
    • Like Like x 3