Europe – it’s all a bit odd...

Right, then. We run a major airport with 1300 flights in and out each day and spew out loads of crap into the atmosphere.
Trouble is, people have cottoned on to the rip off prices in the restaurants and duty free (snigger) shops. We have to raise extra money to pay for this next runway. Suggestions?

I know, how about charging all those poor people who have saved up for ages to fly out and haven't wasted money on new cars because they only drive old cars? We can say it's an "ultra low emission area" (well, the mayor of London's getting away with it) and that we are "environmentally" friendly, despite sticking in a new runway to increase the number of flights and emissions.

Nah, we'd never get away with it, would we? Let's try fifteen quid for starters and see if we can.

Heathrow ULE area

Right, then. We run a major airport with 1300 flights in and out each day and spew out loads of crap into the atmosphere.
Trouble is, people have cottoned on to the rip off prices in the restaurants and duty free (snigger) shops. We have to raise extra money to pay for this next runway. Suggestions?

I know, how about charging all those poor people who have saved up for ages to fly out and haven't wasted money on new cars because they only drive old cars? We can say it's an "ultra low emission area" (well, the mayor of London's getting away with it) and that we are "environmentally" friendly, despite sticking in a new runway to increase the number of flights and emissions.

Nah, we'd never get away with it, would we? Let's try fifteen quid for starters and see if we can.

Heathrow ULE area
Environmentally concious people take the train.

Environmentally concious people take the train.
Really environmentally conscious people stay at home wrapped in skins and napping flints. They only surface when theres a protest. Thats the way they meet their mates.

mrdude

On ROPS
On ROPs
It certainly is; anywhere that this behaviour can be considered a manly pastime is odd.

If you think Europe has some weirdo's, luckily you don't live in the USA - they have some pure 'Deliverance' shit going down:

They have competitions doing that 'flat footing', thank fook I don't live anywhere near that - I'd probably have been forced married to my cousin at 14 - and molested before I had reached puberty.

If you think Europe has some weirdo's, luckily you don't live in the USA - they have some pure 'Deliverance' shit going down:

They have competitions doing that 'flat footing', thank fook I don't live anywhere near that - I'd probably have been forced married to my cousin at 14 - and molested before I had reached puberty.
What a shame we don't have an "America - it's all a bit odd" thread.

WTF is that? "Riverdance" with webbed toes...?

Heathrow ULE area
So next time I'm benighted and have to drive up to LHR for a flight to wherever in my not-very-old hire car, howsabout I just chuck it into low gear and rev the shit out of it when I reach the ULEZ? Loads of emissions; no charge.

Proving what a pocket-fleecing exercise it is. Environment? Pah!!

Looks suspiciously like tap dancing no to my reply untrained eye.

Bit odd whatever it looks is.

So next time I'm benighted and have to drive up to LHR for a flight to wherever in my not-very-old hire car, howsabout I just chuck it into low gear and rev the shit out of it when I reach the ULEZ? Loads of emissions; no charge.

Proving what a pocket-fleecing exercise it is. Environment? Pah!!
UK airports have probably the highest amount of tax - it was cheaper for me, to fly to Amsterdam on a cheapo flight, then take a biz class flight to Madrid and then fly biz all the way to Rio than flying a direct economy long haul. It's insane! And it's just not once, happened on so many occasions. Sure a bit of palaver, but when you are spending your money, something to take into account.

mrdude

On ROPS
On ROPs
I know what you mean.

It's nearly as gay as this.
Taking about gayness - I reckon this is where the DNA/Genes of 'gayness' originated:

Notice the similarity between the clothing and what you see on the telly when they have those gay types on it wearing chaps and leather gear!

UK airports have probably the highest amount of tax - it was cheaper for me, to fly to Amsterdam on a cheapo flight, then take a biz class flight to Madrid and then fly biz all the way to Rio than flying a direct economy long haul. It's insane! And it's just not once, happened on so many occasions. Sure a bit of palaver, but when you are spending your money, something to take into account.

Makes you wonder how much of the airport taxes goes on security?

If they spend a million on security, they could maybe justify a profit of 100K......

If they can massage up the security fears to a 100 million, that's a much tastier profit for the airports....... WTF, the punters will pay, if the alternative's a fortnight in Scarborough.

Makes you wonder how much of the airport taxes goes on security?

If they spend a million on security, they could maybe justify a profit of 100K......

If they can massage up the security fears to a 100 million, that's a much tastier profit for the airports....... WTF, the punters will pay, if the alternative's a fortnight in Scarborough.
The short hauls within the EU are cheap enough - much cheaper than typical train prices within the UK, and much cheaper than anywhere else I have encountered - I mean, do you want to spent 15 quid on a flight to Spain or Portugal or a zillion quid on a train ride to Blackpool? No comparison.

But the APD really does give you a big old f-k on the long hauls. When I go back to the U.S., sometimes I used to fly to Dublin, party the night there and then get on a flight - still, significantly cheaper.

London does have great routes and connections though, that's really what's holding it all together.

The short hauls within the EU are cheap enough - much cheaper than typical train prices within the UK, and much cheaper than anywhere else I have encountered - I mean, do you want to spent 15 quid on a flight to Spain or Portugal or a zillion quid on a train ride to Blackpool? No comparison.

But the APD really does give you a big old f-k on the long hauls. When I go back to the U.S., sometimes I used to fly to Dublin, party the night there and then get on a flight - still, significantly cheaper.

London does have great routes and connections though, that's really what's holding it all together.

London has great connexions, but you try going anywhere from the tribal regions.

Mostly crappy chav destinations at twice the bloody price.

London has great connexions, but you try going anywhere from the tribal regions.

Mostly crappy chav destinations at twice the bloody price.
Never flown from outside London, so don't have much knowledge.

One thing I do know is that BA is called London Airways by people from outside London! Because pretty all their services are from here.