• Keep the Pound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adopt the US Dollar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alsacien

MIA
Le_addeur_noir said:
A story running on the slavish pro-EU BBC may be pandering to the hidden Mandelson agenda.Note the rate of 1 Euro/Pound,which is the mooted government preferred exchange rate.

Link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8060020.stm
I don't think Mandelsons agenda is very hidden :)

When the Euro was introduced the value was very carefully worked out against the major trading currencies (1:1 US dollar, 1:1.5 Sterling, 1:2 Deutschmark etc). The fact that the Euro has strengthened against all the major currencies since then blurs that a bit, but the long term goal would be international pegged ranges for global stability.
UK are not likely to be able to meet the Euro entry criteria for at least 5 years, so its not even a discussion on the table.
I used to need dollars when travelling, now Euros are preferred - its not political, Euros are simply worth more 8)

Personally I would prefer less involvement with the EU altogether, they can keep the Euro and everything else the EU stands for. Not for me thankyou very much.

God forbid they sneak us into the Euro ........ a beer in good old Johnny Foreigner land would be more expensive than here! Small coffee in Spain €1.40 nice big "small one" in Costas £2 ...... small 33cl beer in Spain €1.50 to €3 well.. just work that out!

Tonanti216 said:
God forbid they sneak us into the Euro ........ a beer in good old Johnny Foreigner land would be more expensive than here! Small coffee in Spain €1.40 nice big "small one" in Costas £2 ...... small 33cl beer in Spain €1.50 to €3 well.. just work that out!
The problem with your comparison is the pound is at such a low. People in the UK therefore earn considerably less than those in euro countries.

Alsacien

MIA
Tonanti216 said:
Have you ever been to Germany?

12 Euros for a crate of 24 bottles of the best German beers - outrageous :roll:

8 pint (5ltr) barrel of Warsteiner at Euro 8.99 - terrible :D

Alsacien said:
Tonanti216 said:
Have you ever been to Germany?

12 Euros for a crate of 24 bottles of the best German beers - outrageous :roll:

8 pint (5ltr) barrel of Warsteiner at Euro 8.99 - terrible :D
Poor bloke, I can see that you are suffering. :wink:

With Liabour's financial wizardry, we'd probably switch to the Euro just as half of Europe goes bankrupt and Germany reverts to the Deutschmark - thereby leaving UK to bail everyone out......

4(T) said:
With Liabour's financial wizardry, we'd probably switch to the Euro just as half of Europe goes bankrupt and Germany reverts to the Deutschmark - thereby leaving UK to bail everyone out......
Your trust is missplaced, the UK is the fcuked up one not the rest of Europe. The country doesn't have enough money to bail itself out. ;)

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Ord_Sgt said:
4(T) said:
Your trust is missplaced, the UK is the fcuked up one not the rest of Europe. The country doesn't have enough money to bail itself out. ;)
Yeah, but I can see the other half of what Brown is looking at - this being, if he and Analsson get us into the EU quickly, the EU can bail us out instead. We'd become a 'client state' like those in Eastern and Southern Europe. We'd be the new 'doleys' of Europe.

Ord_Sgt said:
Tonanti216 said:
The problem with your comparison is the pound is at such a low. People in the UK therefore earn considerably less than those in euro countries.
I would'nt be so sure about that. Or I must have a real shitty job ! :roll:
This year was the first time I had a real cheap holiday in the U.K
Average grocery's were a lot cheaper than here in NL.
Let alone the petrol ! 1 GBP (€1,16) for a litre ,whereas I pay €1,39 here in NL !!
You have to be careful though were you buy your grocery's.
I paid for the same 4 cans of Holsten lager 1 pound more at Co-oop than at Asda !

Cloggie said:
Let alone the petrol ! 1 GBP (€1,16) for a litre ,whereas I pay €1,39 here in NL !!
Isn't it the case though that Holland has the most expensive fuel in Europe?

Mr_Deputy said:
All the Dutch I speak to regret joing the euro and generally people I speak to across Europe say that prices rise around 15-25% upon introduction of the euro. This is all just conversationally mind.
As a business we have euro accounts as well as dollar and pound. I have transfered alot more payments to euro this year from pound to stealthily aid our profitability.
Most of us,including me would like to see the Guilder back.
The Euro has made life considerably more expensive here.
You Brits had had it good for a couple of years since the introduction of the Euro (cheap holidays in Spain etc), but now feel a bit of our burden since the pound has dropped at such a low.

Mr_Creosote said:
Cloggie said:
Isn't it the case though that Holland has the most expensive fuel in Europe?
Possibly, however I just drove from England to Germany. Before leaving on le tunnel we filled up because the uk petrol price of £1.06 was cheaper than France, Holland, Germany or Belgium. Luckily that gave us enough milage to make it back to couponland.

Le_addeur_noir said:
A story running on the slavish pro-EU BBC may be pandering to the hidden Mandelson agenda.Note the rate of 1 Euro/Pound,which is the mooted government preferred exchange rate.

Link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8060020.stm
Oh dear the silly season has started again.

Lots of places in the UK have been accepting Euros since the whole single currency thing started so this is a real non story.

Petrol here in Hungary is 385 Forint [about 90 pence] and Diesel 365 Forint. Council tax, basic food and decent beer/vino is stll fairly cheap.
I suspect that if and when they ditch the Huf for Euro then just like when UK went decimal, prices will increase astonomically as also happened when the Spanish joined the Euro from the Peseta. IMO, the same will happen in a change from Sterling to Euro unless the entry exchange rate is very poor which would welcomed by UK government but would be detrimental to Joe Public. Either way we would be f@cked.

Mr_Deputy said:
All the Dutch I speak to regret joing the euro and generally people I speak to across Europe say that prices rise around 15-25% upon introduction of the euro. This is all just conversationally mind.
As a business we have euro accounts as well as dollar and pound. I have transfered alot more payments to euro this year from pound to stealthily aid our profitability.
(My bold in your post). This is certainly what happened in Germany. I was living there when the conversion took place. The nominal exchange rate of two Deutschmarks to one Euro effectively halved the prices on display "optically", so to speak, but still allowed the sly traders to bang on a coupla cents here and there because such "low" prices where new for everybody. I imagine much the same could happen in the UK if, or when, the Euro arrives.

MsG

Bugsy said:
Mr_Deputy said:
(My bold in your post). This is certainly what happened in Germany. I was living there when the conversion took place. The nominal exchange rate of two Deutschmarks to one Euro effectively halved the prices on display "optically", so to speak, but still allowed the sly traders to bang on a coupla cents here and there because such "low" prices where new for everybody. I imagine much the same could happen in the UK if, or when, the Euro arrives.

MsG
I was in NL when it happened and there were some accusations flying about that some less than honest traders had simply replaced the guilder sign with one for the euro. We also saw what happened in Germany as we were regular visitors going shopping there every three weeks or so.

Of course the UK has already been through virtually the same thing after decimal currency was introduced in 1971.

Stop worrying you all. It's all hypothetical.

The British economy/monetary state doesn't meet the requirements to join the eurozone at the moment anyway.