Euro introduction by stealth?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Le_addeur_noir, Aug 5, 2009.

?
  1. Keep the Pound

96.1%
  2. Adopt the US Dollar

3.9%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A story running on the slavish pro-EU BBC may be pandering to the hidden Mandelson agenda.Note the rate of 1 Euro/Pound,which is the mooted government preferred exchange rate.

Link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8060020.stm

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I don't think Mandelsons agenda is very hidden :)

When the Euro was introduced the value was very carefully worked out against the major trading currencies (1:1 US dollar, 1:1.5 Sterling, 1:2 Deutschmark etc). The fact that the Euro has strengthened against all the major currencies since then blurs that a bit, but the long term goal would be international pegged ranges for global stability.
    UK are not likely to be able to meet the Euro entry criteria for at least 5 years, so its not even a discussion on the table.
    I used to need dollars when travelling, now Euros are preferred - its not political, Euros are simply worth more 8)

3. Personally I would prefer less involvement with the EU altogether, they can keep the Euro and everything else the EU stands for. Not for me thankyou very much.

4. God forbid they sneak us into the Euro ........ a beer in good old Johnny Foreigner land would be more expensive than here! Small coffee in Spain €1.40 nice big "small one" in Costas £2 ...... small 33cl beer in Spain €1.50 to €3 well.. just work that out!

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

The problem with your comparison is the pound is at such a low. People in the UK therefore earn considerably less than those in euro countries.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Have you ever been to Germany?

12 Euros for a crate of 24 bottles of the best German beers - outrageous :roll:

8 pint (5ltr) barrel of Warsteiner at Euro 8.99 - terrible :D

7. Poor bloke, I can see that you are suffering. :wink:

8. With Liabour's financial wizardry, we'd probably switch to the Euro just as half of Europe goes bankrupt and Germany reverts to the Deutschmark - thereby leaving UK to bail everyone out......

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Your trust is missplaced, the UK is the fcuked up one not the rest of Europe. The country doesn't have enough money to bail itself out. ;)

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, but I can see the other half of what Brown is looking at - this being, if he and Analsson get us into the EU quickly, the EU can bail us out instead. We'd become a 'client state' like those in Eastern and Southern Europe. We'd be the new 'doleys' of Europe.

11. I would'nt be so sure about that. Or I must have a real shitty job ! :roll:
    This year was the first time I had a real cheap holiday in the U.K
    Average grocery's were a lot cheaper than here in NL.
    Let alone the petrol ! 1 GBP (€1,16) for a litre ,whereas I pay €1,39 here in NL !!
    You have to be careful though were you buy your grocery's.
    I paid for the same 4 cans of Holsten lager 1 pound more at Co-oop than at Asda !

12. Isn't it the case though that Holland has the most expensive fuel in Europe?

13. Most of us,including me would like to see the Guilder back.
    The Euro has made life considerably more expensive here.
    You Brits had had it good for a couple of years since the introduction of the Euro (cheap holidays in Spain etc), but now feel a bit of our burden since the pound has dropped at such a low.

14. Possibly, however I just drove from England to Germany. Before leaving on le tunnel we filled up because the uk petrol price of £1.06 was cheaper than France, Holland, Germany or Belgium. Luckily that gave us enough milage to make it back to couponland.

15. Oh dear the silly season has started again.

Lots of places in the UK have been accepting Euros since the whole single currency thing started so this is a real non story.