Euro Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by yeoman, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Only if I can have an OP in the Dutch female showers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did any on else catch the report on the radio about a Euro army this morning.

The report stated that the EU has 2 rapid reaction Battle Groups, and wanted more. The French are making increased defence spending increases a priority for there 6 months in charge.

I thought this idea had died a death years ago. Who is going to join this outfit, and who is going to decide when and how it will be used? If it is made up of national forces (UN style) will the members retain a national veto on the employment of the national contingent if they disagree?

It all looks like pretty strange behavior for an organisation that professes to not want to be a super state.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Maybe it has some mileage if we sorted out who does what:

French and Italians could provide the catering.
    Germans could provide the kit.
    Scandavians could sort the admin.

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold

The whole EU project from the 1930's onwards has been about nothing BUT an EU superstate, by hook, by crook, by whatever sneeky incremental method it takes.

The 'EU Army' is just another factor in that equation.
  4. Biped has it right. It is not what they present the future to be, but every large or small progression in the EU is toward that goal. It will be gradual and over generations, but is inevitable nonetheless.

I still want to find that map that was published probably about 30 years ago by the EU which showed states divided up by region and province number . . no more counties or countries etc. It was quickly shoved under a convenient carpet at the time and the fuss it created was condemned as silly sensational journalism.
  5. My odds, but bear with me:

Odds of the Conservatives winning the next UK election: 80%;

Odds of them repudiating the Lisbon Treaty: 75%;

Odds of that sparking a referendum on our future relationship with the EU: 50%;

Odds of that referendum leading to us leaving the EU: 70%;

Odds of the EU refusing to sit back and let it happen: 85%;

Odds of active sanctions rather than just words: 40%;

Odds of them standing together and fighting to keep us in: 0.1%

I make that a 20% chance of us leaving the EU, with a 0.01% chance of them using their EU army against us.

So given that it's not a threat to us (or anyone else for that matter), our Forces are too busy to participate, and they'll be discussing how to arm, dress, cook and march for the next 10 years, let them get on with it.
  6. I agree that there is a chance that we will be leaving the french and co to get on with it after the next election, but this drive for an armed force is a real indication of what the EU is really up to not the spin that the cyclops spouts.

If we were to pull out I can only see it being a good thing for BritFor.

No A400M would mean we could by C17 and upgrade the C130, and get some real stratigic lift. Ditching Eurofighter would pay for pretty much everthing else we need to get ourselves back on track. With out EU unity to hide behind BAE would eb right in the firing line when procurement choices are being made, and we might get some value out of them at last.

The £17 Billion we put into spanish/ italian roads would not go a miss either
  7. On past form, in Brussels with a re-location to somewhere in France every 6 months... :roll:
  8. if liabour stay in control of the Armed forces we may have not choice but to opt for a European army.. as there will Fugg all to protect us apart from the now been wound down 49 Para
  9. Hmm... The French pulled out of NATO in the 60's because they did not want to commit their Nuclear capability as the rest of the partners did, they then start muscling for an EU Force, does this not just sound like them wanting a club on their own terms?

I have just come back from 3yrs in Germany and I spent 5yrs at SHAPE and the one thing that is heavily noticable is the arjibarjy that takes place politicaly in Europe, if the right idea comes from an disliked country they get ignored, some ideas are just accepted to show smaller countries that their investment isn't pointless. What will happen to NATO if this goes ahead? most countries including the UK cannot afford to pay for both.

In my opinion, NATO should be kept but the politicoes should stop using it to expand Europe. Why bring in Bulgaria and Romania when they cannot realistically contribute anything of value, I worked with an Italian Captain who was supposed to be proficient in comms, English and NATO proc but needed training in all 3 as he wasn't, by the time he was he had a month before leaving the military and returning to Civvy Street.
  10. Well, that could really put the skids under the "Yes" vote in the Irish referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. In EU land they are sh1tting themselves over what a rejection means.

That is why all the Eurocrats and Euro Politicians have been silent on various "initiatives" for months.
  11. Well I choaked on my cornflakes this morning when GMTV where doing a piece about Soldier's salaries and talking about recruitment and retention levels...they went on to say that Whitehall are looking at the possibilities of recruiting from within the EU!!! We'll be more like the bloody French Foreign Legion then the British Army!
  12. Hmmm, a Euro army? I seem to remember a book some bloke wrote a while back which had a Euro Army in the plot. Eurasia.........Oceania.........Eastasia?
  13. We have already had a well-recruited effective Pan European Army.It was called the "WAFFEN-SS".
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ah, so we're doing the old "get involved quickly and try to fcuk it up from the inside" tactic.

Soon to be followed by the "sulking around when everyone does what the French want, rather than what we suggest" tactic, and concluded by the "staring at it from a long way away, complaining about how much it costs us" tactic.

Well it's worked for the last 30 years, why change now?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.