EUFOR Medal

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by squirt, Oct 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a twos parade at the end of the month and am wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll be allowed to wear my EUFOR medal yet?

Cheers guys..

2. EUFOR Medal! :D We are getting as bad as our friends across the pond, a current Eufor Mission is safer than going downtown on a Friday night in any British City!...

3. ..... and being in Cyprus is, of course, a demanding and dangerous UN tour............

4. belated response Squirt, but...

EUFOR (Op ALTHEA) medal... initially the powers that be issued the same response as above (couched in slightly different terminology). Medals are awarded based on 'risk and rigour', which realistically might only apply if you serve(d) with the BG in MNTF NW ie Banja Luka (like A&SH from Easter til recently). They were on the ground patrolling, searching, etc etc. Those in Sarajevo were either HQ types or were NSE staffs, hardly risk- or rigour-laden (except when it got all too exciting in the Bulldog, ie rarely).

However, I understand that the opinion may have changed and the medal could be granted status to wear (potentially politically driven as if we didn't it could be seen as a snub to our European colleagues who have a VERY different approach to this sort of operation and the validity of medals).

Will it be in time for your parade? 'Fraid not.

Hope this helps

5. Apologies for the belated reply too! Unfortunately never got my medal on in time for the parade.. Never mind! Thanks for your help though! :D