EU - Whither or wither the European Union

I detest French cars anyway. A little dit from my youth:

Friend owned a Renault 12 (don't laugh, it was the 1970s). Anyway, it had a problem with the brakes and needed a replacement brake cylinder for the MOT. We pootled off to the local auto spares place with the chassis number on a piece of paper.

Autospares guy gets big book out. "is it Lockheed or Bendix?"
Don't know but whe have the chassis number.
"Mmm, could be either. Can you bring it in?"
Us: "why?"
Because Renault use any gear they can get hold of cheaply and the book says it could be either.
So we pulled the offending (seized) part off and took it in and duly got the right part.

Turns out that Renault were not fussy as to what they put on a car and it was common to find that stuff like alternators, starter motors and brakes could be any one of 3-4 different makes depending what they had been able to source cheaply and the parts they had in stock at the time.

More to the point, they would swap parts manufacturer in the middle of a run so it was fairly common to get a mix of parts on consecutive chassis number vehicles. Needless to say the different parts often did not quite fit, as in the case of drum brakes which had the brake pipe connection at a different orientation!

I was told, but can't verify, that some cars actually left the factory with different makes of brake cylinder on each side!

I detest French cars anyway. A little dit from my youth:

Friend owned a Renault 12 (don't laugh, it was the 1970s). Anyway, it had a problem with the brakes and needed a replacement brake cylinder for the MOT. We pootled off to the local auto spares place with the chassis number on a piece of paper.

Autospares guy gets big book out. "is it Lockheed or Bendix?"
Don't know but whe have the chassis number.
"Mmm, could be either. Can you bring it in?"
Us: "why?"
Because Renault use any gear they can get hold of cheaply and the book says it could be either.
So we pulled the offending (seized) part off and took it in and duly got the right part.

Turns out that Renault were not fussy as to what they put on a car and it was common to find that stuff like alternators, starter motors and brakes could be any one of 3-4 different makes depending what they had been able to source cheaply and the parts they had in stock at the time.

More to the point, they would swap parts manufacturer in the middle of a run so it was fairly common to get a mix of parts on consecutive chassis number vehicles. Needless to say the different parts often did not quite fit, as in the case of drum brakes which had the brake pipe connection at a different orientation!

I was told, but can't verify, that some cars actually left the factory with different makes of brake cylinder on each side!
Are you beginning to understand the value of regulatory alignment?

Are you beginning to understand the value of regulatory alignment?
As @Jimmy_Green said, I learned never to buy French cars.

I am well aware of regulatory alignment benefits, I just still believe that we don't need to be governed by Brussels to achieve alignment of technical standards.

As @Jimmy_Green said, I learned never to buy French cars.

I am well aware of regulatory alignment benefits, I just still believe that we don't need to be governed by Brussels to achieve alignment of technical standards.

Which international body would you prefer? And under whose jurisdiction?

You appear to have leapt into an entirely different rabbit hole. Again.
Not a rabbit hole. You are as usual white knighting for the corrupt and useless EU.

They allowed one of Germanys biggest manufacturers to run rings around them.

Who exposed it? The US EPA, who oddly enough don't seek to dictate what our laws should be.

But hey, lets not let facts get in the way. US bad, EU lovely, right?

Not a rabbit hole. You are as usual white knighting for the corrupt and useless EU.

They allowed one of Germanys biggest manufacturers to run rings around them.

Who exposed it? The US EPA, who oddly enough don't seek to dictate what our laws should be.

But hey, lets not let facts get in the way. US bad, EU lovely, right?
No.

For what it's worth, I buy French cars because they're not VW, they do what it says on the box and they're cheaper.
Meanwhile back to the threads title. Good question, the main player, Germany, is still too much involved in Kindergarten politics, arguing about who can play with which toy. Added to which the senior politicians have removed themselves so far from the voters that they were oh so surprised at the results in Bavaria and Hessen, although Angie must have sensed impending doom.

So what was your wibble about the benefits of regulatory allignment with the EU then?

Having an incompetant and corrupt referee is actually worse than no referee at all.
Your post had nothing to do with regulatory alignment.

Which international body would you prefer? And under whose jurisdiction?
@Brotherton Lad

ISO -- International Standards Organisation
IEC -- International Electrotechnical Commission

BSI are members of ISO and IEC already incorporate their standards e.g. BS EN 60079 = IEC 60079
IEC - About the IEC
About BSI - The business standards company that helps organizations make excellence a habit | BSI Group

These are just the ones I use most. Others are available.

They've threatened to hoof the Greeks.
The British are going.
The Italians are threatening to go.
Merkel is losing the will to fight those of her people who want to go.
It's no time since the French were wetting themselves that the far right would win their election and pull the plug.

I see a theme developing.
The elections to the European Parliament next spring(?) will provide a useful barometer I reckon.

Hmmm.. was has to wonder when the EU will do the "full Monti" on them again as they did in 2011.. New Italian government does not include a single elected politician
snip "Mario Monti, Italy's new prime minister, put in by Brussels to replace Berlusconi, appointed a government without a single elected politician on Wednesday, forming a technical administration which faces the daunting challenge of preventing the country from being dragged deeper into the euro zone debt crisis. "
If that happens Brussels might just be tempted to try that here if PMTM doesn't succeed in getting the deal Brussels wants. That would be interesting!!

Hmmm.. was has to wonder when the EU will do the "full Monti" on them again as they did in 2011.. New Italian government does not include a single elected politician
snip "Mario Monti, Italy's new prime minister, put in by Brussels to replace Berlusconi, appointed a government without a single elected politician on Wednesday, forming a technical administration which faces the daunting challenge of preventing the country from being dragged deeper into the euro zone debt crisis. "
If that happens Brussels might just be tempted to try that here if PMTM doesn't succeed in getting the deal Brussels wants. That would be interesting!!
Different scenario, however, the EU seem to be getting their way through the back door ie subverting the normal checks and balances. I'm no fan of Corbyn as you know but he was right about May's proposed deal. It's basically a hand over of power and money to Brussels, not a Brexit.

The actual line from the link you quoted says Mario Monti, Italy's new prime minister, appointed a government without a single politician on Wednesday,

You've added the "put in by Brussels to replace Berlusconi" haven't you.
No wonder I can't believe the rabidouts and have you on ignore.

The actual line from the link you quoted says Mario Monti, Italy's new prime minister, appointed a government without a single politician on Wednesday,

You've added the "put in by Brussels to replace Berlusconi" haven't you.
No wonder I can't believe the rabidouts and have you on ignore.
First paragraph of the story:

The emergency administration, which is meant to govern Italy until elections are due in 2013, is made up of bankers, lawyers and university professors but not a single elected official – an extraordinary development for a Western democracy.

Apparently the European Union (aka - EU-SSR's Brussels Politburo) and the United Nations have signed a declaration to criminalize criticism of immigration or anything to do with the EU's immigration policies as a 'hate crime'.

"The United Nations Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration seeks to make immigration a universal human right. MEP Marcel de Graaff said: “I would like to say some words on the global compact on migration. On the 10th and 11th of December there will be an international congress in Marrakesh Morocco. The participating countries are set to sign this agreement and although this joint agreement is not binding it is still meant to be the legal framework on which the participating countries commit themselves to build new legislation. " (Sunday Express 02 Dec 2018 8)

Perhaps this the thin edge of the wedge, will this be followed, allegedly with other legalities such as criticising the EU, MEPS, or policies and institutions and making this a 'Hate Crime' also?. Perhaps it will/could lead to the formation of a Pan European 'Stazi' or Secret Police to be followed with 're-education camps' for dissidents. Nothing would be surprising about the EU, but hopefully, it has already sown the seeds of its own demise, like an old piss stained mattress coming apart at the seams in time.