EU wants to ban sexist TV commercials

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Machristo, Sep 5, 2008.

?
  1. Loves women

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hates men

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Attention whore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. EU wants to ban 'sexist' TV commercials

"Adverts which use sex to sell or promote gender stereotypes could be banned by the EU."

Now, skipping past the fact that the adverts are some of the best parts of the telly these days, other than the obvious Ocean "they-made-it-so-easy" (Well look at you, they kinda fcuking had to...) Finance-type cnuts, and still nowhere near the standard of the classic Hamlet, Carling Black Label and Weetabix ad's of the 90's; this, gents, is Ms Svensson-

[​IMG]

-So, number One: Suggestions as to why she may have taken this ridiculous stance (other than to join in with 'that crowd') and Two: What the fcuk is happening to Sweden, historically the land of vikings, reindeers, Aurora Borealis and cute blonde girls?

-Mach

2. Isn't she being sexist and patronising to women by portraying them as sensitive creatures who can't cope with well intentioned humour?

3. Mmm. Would seem that the story should actually be 'A few women MEPs would like to see 'sexist' TV commericals banned', since t'would appear that the EU itself has expressed no opinion. Also, the chances of Berlusconi letting this get through are zero (he'd have to shelve half his TV empire's programmes), and I imagine it'll get short shrift in a couple of other nations as well where the Diet Coke and Flake girl adverts we get would be regarded as staid and prudish.

We may have to charge the Torygraph for the next service bill for the Arrse outrage bus at this rate, since stories like this will get the milage racked up completely needlessly.

(Quite why we're expending money allowing these naive, nannying non-entities [the MEPs, not Torygraph journos] to spend time coming up with this sort of tosh is a reasonable question to ask, though)

4. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

perhaps it's just because no one would ever like to see her in one of those ads

5. :x Ooh, that conjures up some horrible images. Ugh :x

6. If you look closely at most ads on the box today you will notice that they portray the female to be the intelligent one or the decision maker, it is oftern very subtle. I cant think of a specific example right now but it would be quite amusing using such legislation to further the cause of men in the modern world.
    And damn she is the ugliest thing I ever saw...

7. YesItsMe

i'm sorry ... you're right ... feeling sick now

perhaps this could heal us all

[​IMG]

8. Just look at the necklace round her neck what does that tell you.

9. Has this woman ever even seen other European TV channels?

Italy, Monday night, sometime after dinner...I flip on the TV to see some kind of cable game show with topless girls covered in whipped cream answering questions about famous artists. 8O

So I wouldn't worry about massive Continental support!

10. Eva-Britt Svensson is a vice-chair of the European Parliament's Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality -- no surprise there, just one of feminist-extremist dinosaurs that deprived women of their right to choose whether they want to stay at home or slave for a wage...

11. YesItsMe

standing ovation from me for that one :thumleft:

*btw - she even looks like a dinosaur imho*

12. Personally, I'd rather slave for a wage, since I dislike the smells of puke, sh!t, bubble gum and cooking grease...and stay-at-home moms deal with that stuff in abundance.

But I happen to slave in the advertising/marketing industry, and the inalienable First Law of Commerce is:

T!ts sell.

Banning "sexist" adverts that use attractive people to sell, even clothed, is a move against commerce, in my view!

13. Her neck needs ironing?

14. YesItsMe

even gods use c*ck rings?
    *it's a cross and a ring - isn't it?* [​IMG]

15. Couldn't give a toss about the quality of the ads during the break as long as there's enough time for the missus to make my brew.