EU to win Nobel Prize

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Oct 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read it just got pipped at the post for the short list for the Nobel Peace Prize for Audting and Accounting by BAE Systems (Saudi Division), Bernie Madoff & Asil Nadir

• Like Like x 2
  2. Doesn't look particularly peaceful in Athens and Thessaloniki, but hey ho!

3. Pathetic how can a disunited, disparate, entity get this.

4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Some wag has already suggested awarding Spain the Nobel prize for Economics at the same time.

Wordsmith

5. President Assad must be gutted . . .

6. It shows the paucity of qualified candidates for the award when the committee feels it has to resort to this sort of shit. Marginally better than giving it to T. Bliar esq, but only marginally.

I cannot readily think of any individual who does deserve the award. Perhaps they should have decided not to award it this year.

Edit to add that Arrse automatically hotlinks "Bliar" to an Amazon page for books by someone called Blair. Spooky.

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I was going to post a pithy comment but they all seemed inadequate and pale into insignificance against "what the ****?"

8. As a member of the E.U. I feel so proud that this award reflects something of my character. I may add it to my C.V.
    Does anyone know how and when we will each receive our share of the prize for being good citizens?

9. By the time the EU delegation travels to Oslo, publicises the award, trawls the certificate around every corner of the EU realm and rewards the staff for their achievement, I suspect it will cost far more than $1.2million.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Without being dull......

In the 100 years before the EU was formed (EEC and then EC for the pedants) pretty much every country in Europe had been at war with one another at least once, and the UK, Germany (and predecessor states) and France were the main protagonists. In the 60 years of the EU those 3 countries have not once been in conflict with one another.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mores the pity.

We are long overdue a war with the French and we should bomb Germany at least once a decade (just to be sure)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dear Mr Pile,

We are pleased to inform you that we have today credited your account with a sum corresponding to your share of the award made to the European Union in Oslo. The prize of EUR 1.2 million has been divided equally among the 503.5 million citizens of the Union.

We hope that the sum of EUR 0.0023833167825223435948361469712016 will bring you much joy.

Of course, if you are with Barclays, they will probably charge you £19.99 in transfer fees, but that's not our problem.

Yours sincerely,

The EU

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Silly answer - you say that like that's a good thing

Sensible answer - post-WW2 we spent 45 years staring across at the enemy, which included part of Germany, and the EU had bugger all to do with preventing that turning hot. The EU has effectively prevented a european war in the last 20 years, only it hasn't becuase there have been at least 2

14. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

So what's the more stupid Nobel Peace Prize:

1) Obama for not being George W Bush

2) The EU for not preventing wars in the former Yugoslavia, etc and for forcing excessive austerity and suffering on large numbers of their citizens

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 2