• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

EU to win Nobel Prize

I read it just got pipped at the post for the short list for the Nobel Peace Prize for Audting and Accounting by BAE Systems (Saudi Division), Bernie Madoff & Asil Nadir

It shows the paucity of qualified candidates for the award when the committee feels it has to resort to this sort of shit. Marginally better than giving it to T. Bliar esq, but only marginally.

I cannot readily think of any individual who does deserve the award. Perhaps they should have decided not to award it this year.

Edit to add that Arrse automatically hotlinks "Bliar" to an Amazon page for books by someone called Blair. Spooky.

As a member of the E.U. I feel so proud that this award reflects something of my character. I may add it to my C.V.
Does anyone know how and when we will each receive our share of the prize for being good citizens?

Without being dull......

In the 100 years before the EU was formed (EEC and then EC for the pedants) pretty much every country in Europe had been at war with one another at least once, and the UK, Germany (and predecessor states) and France were the main protagonists. In the 60 years of the EU those 3 countries have not once been in conflict with one another.

Without being dull......

In the 100 years before the EU was formed (EEC and then EC for the pedants) pretty much every country in Europe had been at war with one another at least once, and the UK, Germany (and predecessor states) and France were the main protagonists. In the 60 years of the EU those 3 countries have not once been in conflict with one another.
Mores the pity.

We are long overdue a war with the French and we should bomb Germany at least once a decade (just to be sure)

As a member of the E.U. I feel so proud that this award reflects something of my character. I may add it to my C.V.
Does anyone know how and when we will each receive our share of the prize for being good citizens?
Dear Mr Pile,

We are pleased to inform you that we have today credited your account with a sum corresponding to your share of the award made to the European Union in Oslo. The prize of EUR 1.2 million has been divided equally among the 503.5 million citizens of the Union.

We hope that the sum of EUR 0.0023833167825223435948361469712016 will bring you much joy.

Of course, if you are with Barclays, they will probably charge you £19.99 in transfer fees, but that's not our problem.

Yours sincerely,

The EU

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Without being dull......

Silly answer - you say that like that's a good thing

Sensible answer - post-WW2 we spent 45 years staring across at the enemy, which included part of Germany, and the EU had bugger all to do with preventing that turning hot. The EU has effectively prevented a european war in the last 20 years, only it hasn't becuase there have been at least 2

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
So what's the more stupid Nobel Peace Prize:

1) Obama for not being George W Bush

2) The EU for not preventing wars in the former Yugoslavia, etc and for forcing excessive austerity and suffering on large numbers of their citizens

Wordsmith

Tom Lehrer said that he gave up song writing because;

'Satire died the day Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel peace prize'

He could never have foretold this.

Without being dull......

so NATO, which was formed BEFORE the EU, has nothing to do with it at all........?

Thinking about it. The Warsaw Pact should get the Peace Prize as it's existance prevented the Germans and French kicking off with each other by giving them a bigger target to worry about....

Without being dull......

But are you suggesting that there is a causal link between the two?
The same period coincides with the existence of NATO, which is much more likely to have been effective in keeping the peace between the name countries.

For much of the same period J. Savile was molesting vulnerable children, are you suggesting that therefore he should be a recipient of the prize because there was no major war during that period? No. Why not? Because there is no causal link.

So what's the more stupid Nobel Peace Prize:

1) Obama for not being George W Bush

2) The EU for not preventing wars in the former Yugoslavia, etc and for forcing excessive austerity and suffering on large numbers of their citizens

Wordsmith
Is the peace prize a life time achievement thing or only what happened since the last one was awarded?

Plus don't forget that you only have to try and keep/make peace not actually be successful.

The Nobel Peace Prize last all moral authority when they awarded it to Kissinger. More recently I think it's been awarded by the cast of The News Quiz as a way of annoying people they think of as right-wing. Not worth turning a hair over.

Latest Threads