EU tanks sold to Chad?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by thebulletin, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give some expert opinion on this vehicle? It's an AML 90/Eland of the Chadian army photographed in Darfur in December. The question is, how new is it? is there anything to identify it as recently refurbished or upgraded?

Attached Files:

2. 1. It's not a 'tank' it's an armoured car.
    2. If it's an Eland then by definition it's Seth Effrikan.
    3. I can see no great external differences other than an(additional?) spare wheel on the turret roof as opposed to nailed to the LH hull.
    It does not apear to have the sort of external embellishments that would indicate any major upgrade. BICBW natch

3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Given that Chad is a part of the Francophonie, lives under permanent protection of the French and regularly hosts the Foreign Legion, I see no reason why Chadian government troops would not be using AMLs.
  4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

We were playing with these in Zim in 79 & 80. Made a big mess of a T55 during one interesting weekend. The fact the big bullet when through the front passing neatly through the driver and igniting the fuel tank behind him added to the show.
  5. Zim did not come to be till 80.

Just wondering who "we" are. Sure do don't mean "When we" were?

Still the Bulawayo incedent was well after that, if thats what your on about.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So how would he re phrase that without looking a muppet?
  7. "I served with the R A R (Rh Ac R) and took out a T55 @ grid XXXXX with an Eland in Zim/Rhod in 1979 or 1980".

That would put him up there IMHO.

Make a few Historians re think waht happene in the war as well.

Or even a BTR 152 at Entumbane in 1981.

Chill out smoke a Madison and have a Chilli.
  8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

We were nobody special, just members of BMATT. Dates at my age just run into one and as I went from there to a boring ACIO in late 81 you could be right.

I consider myself lucky that I wake up every morning and remember anything.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

More likely to be a MPLA T55 in porkies!
  10. Only Ferrets external - really?
  11. And why would the BMATT be in Porkies in 80?
  12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Was RAC and came along for a ride from the lay-by without lights. I am talking about one of the new formed Inf Bde/Regts kicking off and if my memory serves the Rh Ac R had not and not sure to this day did get mixed up with ZIP & ZAN.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They used Eland in Op Miracle in 79 against the ZANLA camps in the Chimoio circle!
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

According to what I have nearly finished reading.