Eu strikes deal with Czech President.

EU clears hurdle to Lisbon treaty
Czech President Vaclav Klaus has been holding out on the treaty

EU leaders meeting in Brussels have agreed a deal designed to win Czech backing of the Lisbon Treaty, clearing a major hurdle to its ratification.

The Czechs were granted an opt-out from the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights, similar to that of the UK and Poland.

Czech President Vaclav Klaus was satisfied with the concession, Czech PM Jan Fischer told reporters in Brussels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8333134.stm

Looks like the end of the UK as we know it. A referendum on this Constitution is now dead in the water.

The question now is, if the Tories win the next election, should they give the electorate a referendum on whether to fully opt out of this new EU. :?: :?:

Monty417 said:
The question now is, if the Tories win the next election, should they give the electorate a referendum on whether to fully opt out of this new EU. :?: :?:
They should. However, "Call Me Dave" doesn't have the guts in my opinion.

Sad, sad day. We are no longer an independent nation and are soon to be run by an unelected President. We are no longer a democracy buut the subjects of a dictatorship. If there was ever a sadder day in the nation I would like to know when it was.

Pete_the_writer said:
Monty417 said:
They should. However, "Call Me Dave" doesn't have the guts in my
opinion.
He should indeed, after promising one if it wasn't ratified if and when the Tories take over. I see no reason why the people shouldn't have a say on the way their lives are to be affected. Pressure must be brought to bear on getting Cameron to promise this.

R

renamed_user

I wonder why the Czech government suddenly said yes? how much was the bung they got? As they were the "last man standing" I expect they were able to name their price.

or they realised , Europe can't stand as 30 odd nations and expect to compete on the world stage againstChina/India/Brazil/USA.

Its not a military neccesity, its a monetary and business one.

Not that i agree with throwing away a thousand years of Soveriegnty to a collection of unelected euro-expense fiddlers, but thats the way it may have to be.

The so called opt outs are meaningless, the EU will have its way, nothing will stand in the way of the project.

The Tories will not allow a say on how we are government, they are part of the problem, they are responsible for us getting us into this mess in the first place.

Goodbye UK as a sovereign state, hello Airstrip One.

re-stilly said:
Sad, sad day. We are no longer an independent nation and are soon to be run by an unelected President. We are no longer a democracy buut the subjects of a dictatorship. If there was ever a sadder day in the nation I would like to know when it was.
I concur with your sentiments, completely. Attention All: prepare to put on the chains of slavery.

mick_sterbs said:
or they realised , Europe can't stand as 30 odd nations and expect to compete on the world stage againstChina/India/Brazil/USA.

Its not a military neccesity, its a monetary and business one.

Not that i agree with throwing away a thousand years of Soveriegnty to a collection of unelected euro-expense fiddlers, but thats the way it may have to be.
I would disagree on this bit...Germany has a huge export driven economy...their manufactured products are respected world-wide. France does well, at times...the bigger issue is, how to pay for massive social welfare and benefit systems with a shrinking population? Furthermore, how to maintain a sense of dignity when the balance of power is shifting to the developing nations?

It would appear that,in a few years time, Europe will be viewed in the same manner that ancient Rome and Eqypt are today...as relics of the past.

johnboyzzz said:
Time to see if Call Me Dave has the guts to call a referendum
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

re-stilly said:
johnboyzzz said:
Time to see if Call Me Dave has the guts to call a referendum
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I knew that :wink: , typical lying politician

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Indeed it is a sad day. We can only hope that the Czech Supreme Court might save us. Another example of our nations being stabbed in the back by ZaNU Labour.

I'm not sure if there is much the Tories can do. If I understand the situation correctly once the Treaty (read: Constitution) is ratified and comes into effect there is nothing we can do about it. We cannot back out of the Constitution next June. At that point all we can do is decide whether we wish to remain as members of Festung Europa or not.

Personally I'm all for leaving and setting up a free trade agreement with our friends and allies, Canada, Australia, NZ, India etc if they will have us. We should also try to get into NAFTA and come to an agreement with EFTA.

Then again maybe if Dave made a clear commitment to hold a referendum on 'stay or go' if there is no referendum on the treaty now even that cretin Brown might realize that doing what he promised would be a good idea.

Once it gets going, it will surely end up as the old Soviet Union did, nothing more than a Dictatorship with a Politbureux running it under a Chairman (thankfully it seems not Monyewer Bliar), and like the Soviet Union it will eventually fail, gorged on its own excesses of graft, corruption and ignorance of the Peoples real needs and desire

Delenda Brittania est, Requiescant in Pace. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What is the great fear about not being in the EU? Loss of freedom of movement? Loss of trade?

If Britain were to decide that we do not want to be in the EU then Europe will still trade with us, just as we trade with those outside the EU now.

If the Tories do not give the British people the chance to decide on Europe then as other posters have said the democracy that has has evolved over 1000 years in Great Britain will by definition have ended. The people will no longer decide who governs them, that I find very frightening.

A referendem in the UK is a necessity now.

jamdonut said:
I wonder why the Czech government suddenly said yes? how much was the bung they got? As they were the "last man standing" I expect they were able to name their price.
This is quite normal with amending treaties. Each country will seek to obtain concessions for itself in return for ratification. Those furthest down the queue are in a much better bargaining position than those who actually ratify immediately. Thus, the Irish, for example, as the price demanded for ratification, secured, inter alia, the retention of their Commissioner and an undertaking that their military neutrality would be respected.

In the case of the Czechs, they wanted an 'opt out', already secured in respect of the United Kingdom and Poland from the Charter of Fundamental Rights, such as the right to the protection of personal data, the right to good administration etc at chapters I to VII of the charter signed at Nice on 7 December 2000 and annexed to the Treaty. The reason is to defeat claims against the Czech government in respect of property confiscated by the Government in Warsaw from the Sudenten Germans who were kicked out of the country in the closing days of the second world war.

The Union apppear to have acquiesced and it now falls to the Czech constitutional court to determine whether the amended treaty is compatible with the Czech constitution. However, given that a similar exercise was conducted by the German constitiutional court after the TEU, it would appear unlikely that any serious constitional impediments will arise.

The public in the United Kingdom have, as they usually are been lied to and deliberately misinformed by negative reporting and it is hardly surprising that it is difficult if not impossible to find anyone outside of an undergraduate law degree who has the basic knowledge that most German schoolchildren take for granted of how the EU works.

It seems that in this country, the Brits have been conditioned to think with their emotions rather than their brains. 'Save the Pound' etc!

There is no 'President of Europe' as Rupert Murdoch would like you to believe. There is a presidency of the European Council (just like the British Council we all know and love) The European Council (not to be confused with the Council of the European Union (formerly the Council of Ministers)) has no law-making powers. It was only recognised as an institution of the EU after Maastrich. Power within the EU vests with the Commission, the Council (of Ministers) and the European Parliament - the latter being directly elected by its citizens in 1979.

The job of the European Council is to represent the Political interests of the Union abroad. This cannot be done by the Council fo Ministers or the Commission who have undoubted technical and legal expertise and authority within the borders of the Union but are inept at representing the Union abroad.

When you consider tha that the EU is now a vast trading bloc it is vital when dealing with economic superpowers such as the USA and the emerging China and India that the union is represented politically.

The role and function of the European Council is set out at Article 15 of the consolidated treaty,

"Article 15

(1), The European Council shall provide the Union with the necessary impetus fo its devvelopment and shall define the general political direction and priorities thereof. It shall not exercise legislative functions.

(2), The European Council shall consist of the Heads of State or Giovernments of the Member States, together with its president and the President of the Commission. The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Seccuity Policy shall take part in its work.

(3), The European Council shall meet twice every six months, convened by its President. When the agenda so requires, the members of the Eurropeann Council may decide each to be assisted by a minister and, in the case of the President of the Commission, by a membber of the Commission. When the situation so requires, the President shall convene a special meeting of he European Council.

(4), Except where the treaties povvide otherwise, decision of the European Council shall be taken by consensus.

(5), The European Council shall elect its President by a qualified majority for a term of two and a half years, renewable once. In the event of an impediment or serious misconduct, the European Council can end the President's term of office in accordance with the same procedure.

(6), The President of the European Council shall:

(a), shall chair it and drive forward its work;

(b), shall ensure the preparation and continuity of the work of the
European Council in cooperation with the President of the
Commission, and on the basis of the work of the General Affairs
Council;

(c), shall endevour to facilitate ohesion and consensus with the
European Council;

(d), shall present a report to the European Parliament after each of
the meetings of the European Council;

The President of the European Council shall, at his level and in that capacity, ensure the external representaton of the Union on issues converning its common foreign and secuity policy, without prejudice to the powers of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.

The President of the European Council shall not hold a national office."

Blair, or whoever it is that is capable of speaking for the European Community abroad is not some dictator as the intellectually bankrupt media in the UK would like you to believe.

Power, if power there is, is exercised by the President of the Commission who are answerable to the European Parliament who, you will recall sacked the lot of them in 1999 following a report by the ombudsman! The European Council has no legislative power, neither does it exercise political power over the Commission or the Parliament.

One can see therefore, that Blair, if elected which appears unlikely, has little or now power within the borders of the Union.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Iolis said:
One can see therefore, that Blair, if elected which appears unlikely, has little or now power within the borders of the Union.
There won't be any elections in Festung Europa. El Presedente, Blair or otherwise will be anointed by the likes of Sarko, Berlisconi and the oaf Brown.

Anymore of this 'elections' talk and you'll be up against the wall comrade citizen.