Eu strikes deal with Czech President.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Monty417, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. EU clears hurdle to Lisbon treaty
    Czech President Vaclav Klaus has been holding out on the treaty

EU leaders meeting in Brussels have agreed a deal designed to win Czech backing of the Lisbon Treaty, clearing a major hurdle to its ratification.

The Czechs were granted an opt-out from the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights, similar to that of the UK and Poland.

Czech President Vaclav Klaus was satisfied with the concession, Czech PM Jan Fischer told reporters in Brussels.

Looks like the end of the UK as we know it. A referendum on this Constitution is now dead in the water.

The question now is, if the Tories win the next election, should they give the electorate a referendum on whether to fully opt out of this new EU. :?: :?:
  2. They should. However, "Call Me Dave" doesn't have the guts in my opinion.
  3. Sad, sad day. We are no longer an independent nation and are soon to be run by an unelected President. We are no longer a democracy buut the subjects of a dictatorship. If there was ever a sadder day in the nation I would like to know when it was.
  4. Time for a counter revolution.
  5. He should indeed, after promising one if it wasn't ratified if and when the Tories take over. I see no reason why the people shouldn't have a say on the way their lives are to be affected. Pressure must be brought to bear on getting Cameron to promise this.
  6. I wonder why the Czech government suddenly said yes? how much was the bung they got? As they were the "last man standing" I expect they were able to name their price.
  7. or they realised , Europe can't stand as 30 odd nations and expect to compete on the world stage againstChina/India/Brazil/USA.

Its not a military neccesity, its a monetary and business one.

Not that i agree with throwing away a thousand years of Soveriegnty to a collection of unelected euro-expense fiddlers, but thats the way it may have to be.
  8. The so called opt outs are meaningless, the EU will have its way, nothing will stand in the way of the project.

The Tories will not allow a say on how we are government, they are part of the problem, they are responsible for us getting us into this mess in the first place.

Goodbye UK as a sovereign state, hello Airstrip One.
  9. I concur with your sentiments, completely. Attention All: prepare to put on the chains of slavery.
  10. I would disagree on this bit...Germany has a huge export driven economy...their manufactured products are respected world-wide. France does well, at times...the bigger issue is, how to pay for massive social welfare and benefit systems with a shrinking population? Furthermore, how to maintain a sense of dignity when the balance of power is shifting to the developing nations?

It would appear that,in a few years time, Europe will be viewed in the same manner that ancient Rome and Eqypt are relics of the past.
  11. Time to see if Call Me Dave has the guts to call a referendum
  12. Short answer: No

Long Answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  13. I knew that :wink: , typical lying politician
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Indeed it is a sad day. We can only hope that the Czech Supreme Court might save us. Another example of our nations being stabbed in the back by ZaNU Labour.

I'm not sure if there is much the Tories can do. If I understand the situation correctly once the Treaty (read: Constitution) is ratified and comes into effect there is nothing we can do about it. We cannot back out of the Constitution next June. At that point all we can do is decide whether we wish to remain as members of Festung Europa or not.

Personally I'm all for leaving and setting up a free trade agreement with our friends and allies, Canada, Australia, NZ, India etc if they will have us. We should also try to get into NAFTA and come to an agreement with EFTA.

Then again maybe if Dave made a clear commitment to hold a referendum on 'stay or go' if there is no referendum on the treaty now even that cretin Brown might realize that doing what he promised would be a good idea.
  15. Once it gets going, it will surely end up as the old Soviet Union did, nothing more than a Dictatorship with a Politbureux running it under a Chairman (thankfully it seems not Monyewer Bliar), and like the Soviet Union it will eventually fail, gorged on its own excesses of graft, corruption and ignorance of the Peoples real needs and desire

Delenda Brittania est, Requiescant in Pace. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: