EU rules hit weekend troop reserves

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Feb 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Words fail me on this one...

Working hours rules wipe out weekend troops

Britain's military reserves face a "staffing crisis" because the Government failed to exempt them from new European laws limiting the working hours of Britain's 500,000 professional lorry drivers.

The failure means that forces such as the Territorial Army (TA) will struggle to recruit volunteer drivers to do part-time work.

From April, the Drivers' Hours and Rest Time Regulation will force Britain's lorry drivers to limit the number of hours they spend behind the wheel.

But, despite repeated warnings, the Government did not include those who drive for the TA outside their normal job in an exemption. Soldiers are now worried that the TA's capability will be threatened.

An industry submission to a Department of Transport consultation on the subject last month warned the law would have "a significant adverse effect on military reserve forces personnel". It predicted that drivers would be "unwilling to continue as reserve forces personnel" which would "severely hamper recruitment and retention".

The department ignored this guidance and now admits that it is too late to act on it. Its consultation paper says: "To provide some form of derogation for reserve forces personnel would mean having to amend the EU regulation itself. But there is absolutely no scope for doing so."

Dr Liam Fox, the shadow defence minister, said last night: "The idea that the Government would have been stupid enough to forget the needs of the Territorial Army when dealing with the European Union beggars belief. This potential staffing crisis gives you an idea of just how far down the agenda servicemen and women really come."

One big employer, Royal Mail, has already told the drivers of its 30,000-strong fleet that part-time work with reserve forces will not be allowed when the law, designed to improve safety on roads, comes into force on April 11.

Hundreds of its staff are thought to be affected.

Drivers are obliged to take up to 45 hours' rest after working a full week but from April, they will have to provide employers with time sheets detailing time spent on the road. Falsifying declarations will be a criminal offence, and employers will be held liable.

The unwelcome side effect of the EU regulation came to light when a Royal Mail driver, an infantryman with the TA, contacted his local Euro MP, independent Ashley Mote, after being warned about his second job by his main employer.The man, who asked not to be named, told The Sunday Telegraph: "This must affect lots of people, including firemen and special constables.

"I'm amazed. I don't blame the Royal Mail, because they are just complying with the law. But why didn't the Government think about this earlier? The reserve forces are a quarter of the whole Army."

Mr Mote, 71, MEP for the South-East, said: "This is a direct threat to our reserve army, which is already stretched. What business is it of the EU to tell us how we manage our armed forces?"

Joan Williams, the head of road freight and enforcement policy at the Freight Transport Association, said: "This change will be quite dramatic.

"Until now there has been no legal requirement to produce records for rest days, which lets moonlighting drivers get away with it. But from April there will have to be a record of what drivers are doing every day, even if it is not driving, even if it is for another employer.

"Not even the Territorial Army is exempt from this rule. Drivers will be asked to provide these records at the roadside and employers will have to keep them for 12 months. Falsifying records will be a serious offence and offenders can end up in prison." A Royal Mail spokesman said: "We want to be flexible and to see our people continue to serve in the Territorial Army, but we also must ensure we comply with the law.

"Our commitment to supporting our people in the reserve forces remains strong."

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "We have been aware of this issue for several months and are working to resolve this situation. Discussions are ongoing."
  2. The fundamental problem with the British approach to the EU is that we actually take all of this bureaucracy seriously.

This is one of those regrettable occasions where we could genuinely learn something from the French..................

Accept the new regulations, sign the paperwork and then ignore them entirely.

Everyone else in the EU cherry picks the legislation that they choose to obey, why don't we do the same?!

3. What does one expect from the European Soviet Union ?!
    Calls for a European Soviet Union Defence Force are thrown into sharp relief with this diktat.
    No fighting wars after more than 35 hours in any one week.
    When will a British politician stand up and tell the unelected, unaccountable, faceless functionaries in Euroland to P*ISS OFF ?
    Come on Mr. Cameron - have the guts to take Great Britain back.
    If you were to guarantee to tell the ESU to back off, you would be swept to power.
    Bliar didn't dare because he wanted to be the first President of Europe. Come to think of it, he is seemingly bent enough for such an appointment.
  4. Let's just send the TA on a jihad into the heart of the Eurozone.

All they do is invent stupid laws to justify their existance (read expenses). Their job should be integrating the countries of Europe not inventing whitewash, horse sh1t laws on the shapes of bananas and driving.

For a start, why haven't Europe started driving on the correct side of the road yet? :)
  5. I wonder if other EU reserve forces ie the French or the Germans are being hit by this? Anybody know?
  6. EU = 4th Reich, by indirect and devious means
  7. msr

msr LE

8. I work for Royal Mail, I had considered taking an MT driving test so I can drive Army Land Rovers, Minibus in the ACF, It seems that is out, the only time I could legally drive would on annual camps when I won't be at work, and I drive vans as well as a 7.5T lorry, this does have implications, as my overtime opportunity is reduced, my earnings will go down, I will also be obliged to refuse overtime over a certain number of hours, you can work over on one day but you "pay it back" the following week in reduced hours to balance it out.

shame really, as I was actually looking forward to taking up an Army MT licence and be able to do more for the kids.
  9. Bliar and his cretins failed to exempt them from EU regulations which they could have easily done.

How is this the fault of the EU?
  10. Can't argue with that
  11. chances are they will ignore it as per usual
  12. I suspect if the Government acknowledged the existence of the drivers working at the weekend, it would threaten their position that TA reservists are not part-time workers.
  13. Isn't it a bit chicken and Egg? By that I mean, if the TA isn't exempt, wouldn't the drivers all be over their hours for TA purposes as well, should they wish to drive? (I know they are applying it to all TA work and not just driving, on the Drive/ Work/ Rest principle?)

I'm not an expert by any means (that's what the MTO's for!), but how do they legislate for someone who goes and runs a marathon, competes in a Triathlon or climbs mountains at the weekend- all of which would leave you considerable more weary than a study weekend, for example? Does the work being paid make a difference?
  14. In one :thumright:
  15. Exctly Max, the law is complete bollox, invented by someone who probably has never worked in the driving industry.