EU Nationals married to Ex Services Personnel living in the UK

This has raised a question in my head.

Will my 65 year old mother need to do anything?

She's a German citizen, but has lived and worked here for 40 years. Owns her own place outright.

She's unlikely to be proactive about this, so I aught to warn her off.
If your 65 year old mother has lived and worked here for 40 years I'd be tempted to say nothing and do f@#$@ll about it just to see if anyone does anything.

BBC2 Thursday at 21:00 'Who Gets to Stay in the UK'might be an interesting watch!

This has raised a question in my head.

Will my 65 year old mother need to do anything?

She's a German citizen, but has lived and worked here for 40 years. Owns her own place outright.

She's unlikely to be proactive about this, so I aught to warn her off.
If your 65 year old mother has lived and worked here for 40 years I'd be tempted to say nothing and do f@#$@ll about it just to see if anyone does anything.

BBC2 Thursday at 21:00 'Who Gets to Stay in the UK'might be an interesting watch!

I believe she only needs the language test and knowledge test if she is applying for citizenship. Otherwise she needs to apply for settled status, which is free.
That is correct; @Club Swinger, your wife qualifies for Settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme. As an EU Citizen she does not need to obtain ILR. Once she has obtain Settlement, she can apply for a British Citizenship immediately, if she so wishes. To obtain Naturalisation she will have to provide proof of passing the Life in the UK Test and the Secure English Language Test (SELT), as well pay the appropriate fee which is now £1,330.

Really? that wont be more BBC Pro remain scare propaganda masquerading as news?
Definitely. I have had experience working with the Immigration Services. It didn't take me long to suss out that the whole system of decision making was beyond broken. Hopefully the documentary on Thursday will highlight the reasons why it doesn't work. On the plus side, in the main that was one of the primary reasons the referendum came about in the first place.

But this isn't about BREXIT perse' it is about the crap decisions made by politicians who make them without being fully aware of the facts and consequences.

Im paying a legal firm (OTS Solicitors) at the moment to get ILR, (my wife is Canadian), we will pay for fast track which is 800 quid extra but total is closer to 5k due to the fees.
You can do it all yourself but A, I'm a lazy ******, and B, They are the experts who know exactly what is needed.
A fool and their money...

ETA: You have a wife?

I don't think so.

After reading the settled status link provided by @exbleep I don't reckon there will be any storm at all.
Ditto that.
I am married to a Dane and living in France (for 7 years now) and she qualifies to get settled status should we ever move back.
So yet again I think a lot of joined up bolleaux is being spouted and some people, as always, are making money out of other folks genuine fears.

Sitrep. Miraculously managed to download the EU Exit ID Document Check App onto my phone. Opened the App, started the process. You have to scan the ID Document, scan the face of the person in the ID Document, take a photograph of the person in the document. Fill in a few questions, very handy if you have a National Insurance Number to prove residency, length of time in the UK, employment records etc, saves all the hassle.

Only works if the Passport is an EU Passport with the new Biometric Data and Electronic Chip within the Passport.

Submit application, results back 1- 4 days.

Wait Out

That is correct; @Club Swinger, your wife qualifies for Settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme. As an EU Citizen she does not need to obtain ILR. Once she has obtain Settlement, she can apply for a British Citizenship immediately, if she so wishes. To obtain Naturalisation she will have to provide proof of passing the Life in the UK Test and the Secure English Language Test (SELT), as well pay the appropriate fee which is now £1,330.
You can go online and take a 'Mock' Life In The UK Test. I've failed it 10 times so far, serious. They ask questions about King Henry the 8th, The Bayaux Tapestry, Queen Victoria, First and Second World Wars, all kinds of shit, except living life in the UK as it is today.

If I cant pass it, my wife certainly isn't going to pass it either. I know foreign national immigrants pay someone else to attend the testing centres on the behalf, and they get away with it. The system is not working.

Hey, I'm now a Club Swinger Swinger. I'm going to have to change that moniker, or post more to move on....

You can go online and take a 'Mock' Life In The UK Test. I've failed it 10 times so far, serious. They ask questions about King Henry the 8th, The Bayaux Tapestry, Queen Victoria, First and Second World Wars, all kinds of shit, except living life in the UK as it is today.
First attempt one wrong, something about the Olympics.
They're not difficult, more general knowledge.

If I cant pass it, my wife certainly isn't going to pass it either.
You just don't want her to prove you're bone.

First attempt one wrong, something about the Olympics.
They're not difficult, more general knowledge.

You just don't want her to prove you're bone.
Nobody likes a smart arse pmsl

I'm surprised you think it mostly general knowledge. I thought a lot of it was history, some of it going quite a way back, not something I would expect your average Johnny foreigner to know. Not unless they have had a lot of coaching beforehand.

If I read all the questions and made copies, then did the research I would pass it okay. But that would defeat the object of the test, it is supposed to be something you would be expected to know without looking it up, which I don't think it is.

Nobody likes a smart arse pmsl

I'm surprised you think it mostly general knowledge. I thought a lot of it was history, some of it going quite a way back, not something I would expect your average Johnny foreigner to know. Not unless they have had a lot of coaching beforehand.

If I read all the questions and made copies, then did the research I would pass it okay. But that would defeat the object of the test, it is supposed to be something you would be expected to know without looking it up, which I don't think it is.
I am Johnny Foreigner, and English isn't my mother tongue.

If I cant pass it, my wife certainly isn't going to pass it either. I know foreign national immigrants pay someone else to attend the testing centres on the behalf, and they get away with it. The system is not working.
My wife passed it the first time. It isn't supposed to be a pop quiz in a pub, she bought two books about the test and all she did for a couple of weeks was learn the answers.
It isn't hard.

I'm surprised you think it mostly general knowledge. I thought a lot of it was history, some of it going quite a way back, ...
To be fair many of the Facebook generation consider history to be something that isn't occurring "right this instant."
And a pedant might tell you they're factually correct.

Here in Hungary My wife and I can apply for Hun citizenship and a passport without taking a language test [thank god] as we are [a] resident and pensioners. Not going to bother tho as I've had a Brit one for the last 57 years and it has worked for me. If you want to stay in the UK, I suggest you toodle up in a rubber boat. Any beach will do. If you try and do things legally, you will have to jump through hoops.

Here in Hungary My wife and I can apply for Hun citizenship and a passport without taking a language test [thank god] as we are [a] resident and pensioners. Not going to bother tho as I've had a Brit one for the last 57 years and it has worked for me. If you want to stay in the UK, I suggest you toodle up in a rubber boat. Any beach will do. If you try and do things legally, you will have to jump through hoops.
Many a word said in jest...

Latest Threads