EU legal threat over UK benefits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15120522

The European Commission has threatened legal action against the UK, saying a test of eligibility for benefits discriminates against foreigners.

The UK's "right to reside" basis for benefits is automatic for UK nationals but assessed for other EU nationals.

The commission said this breached EU law and gave the UK two months to say how it would bring its rules into line.

The government said Britons "should be gravely concerned" at EU erosion of states' rights to run their affairs.

Ministers fear taxpayers could be forced into handing out more than £2bn to EU nationals, including so-called "benefits tourists".

A range of UK benefits - child benefit, child tax credit, state pension credit, jobseekers' allowance and unemployment support allowance - are given only to those with a "right to reside".

'Rising tide'

But the European Commission says the assessment of that for overseas nationals is a breach of EU social security co-ordination rules giving all citizens equal rights.

"The Commission may decide to refer the UK to the EU's Court of Justice," it said in a statement.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph on Friday, UK Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said: "These new proposals pose a fundamental challenge to the UK's social contract.

"They could mean the British taxpayer paying out over £2bn extra a year in benefits to people who have no connection to our country and who have never paid in a penny in tax."

He added: "The EU settlement is supposed to protect the right of member states to make their own social security arrangements.
"But we are now seeing a rising tide of judgements from the European institutions using other legal avenues to erode away these rights, and we should be gravely concerned."
!

Time to quit the EU,so much for a trading partnership! But of course most of the feckless twats in UK won't even know or care this is happening and Cameron and co won't tell the EU to get stuffed. Time press for that referendum we were promised!

I think the Eurosceptics are trying to build a head of steam to force public opinion anti Euro.....

With the talk of the UK having to stump up £££Billions to prop up the single currency and now benefit tourism (costing another £2billion a year) for anyone with a heartbeat who wants to come here (from within the zone) there is only so much the UK poeple will take....

Bring on the referendum I know where my cross will be going!!

just goes to prove the things dicused in the http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/170086-war-doleys-bad-move.html thread is correct

i said a few days ago there proposals would get stopped, and i wasnt just refering ot those ones, but the attempts at reducing incomes as well

the problem is not so much that the genuine claiments will complain, but that the thieveing bastards are all lawyerd up via some campaign group or other and those groups are publicly funded.

if the gvt actually wants to be allowed to do anything they will first need to get out of the EU completly, repeal all the laws they gave us, re-instate our prior "fairer" laws, kick out all the waster imigrants (sure let the ones providing a service stay) that came here for benefit tourism (which the then culture secretary went to eastern europe to tell them how to make the most of it, whilst the smilling lyers in No10 said it would never happen)

undoing hte damage casued by labour is going to take decades if they dont take decissive action and thats assuming they would actually be able to correct any of it.

This is just one of dozens of stupidities emanating from our membership of the 'trading organisation' the European Union.

Why should my tax money fund the citizen of another country within the EU who knows he or she will get better 'benefits' here than in his or her own country?

Does anyone know what the French do when foreigners appear and claim 'benefits'? What do the Danes or the Dutch do? What do the Italians and Spaniards do? I don't know but I bet we are the main 'milch cow' in this crazed organization - the European Soviet Union.

Now, I admit going to school before Blair revolutionised education, but I thought this country was 'set up' thus:

Head of the country = The Sovereign.
Top of the Judicial 'Tree' = The Sovereign.
The Sovereign rules by delegating that 'chore' to an elected Parliament aided and abetted by a House of Lords.
The Sovereign dispenses justice through Courts formed in the Sovereign's name and administering laws enacted in the name of the Sovereign.

What puzzles me is that some foreigner can announce on the wireless that he is to take the country to the European Court of Justice on some matter or other. How can this be? How can our Sovereign be arraigned before some 'court' outside our shores? Who has allowed this? Was it an act of venal treason by the deviant traitor Heath? Was this crime furthered by the likes of Major, Blair and Brown? Was Mrs. Thatcher at fault for not taking this nation out off the expensive, bankrupt shambles that comprises the farce known as the European Soviet Union?

I think the Eurosceptics are trying to build a head of steam to force public opinion anti Euro.....

With the talk of the UK having to stump up £££Billions to prop up the single currency and now benefit tourism (costing another £2billion a year) for anyone with a heartbeat who wants to come here (from within the zone) there is only so much the UK poeple will take....

thats 2bill extra a year, and the 8bill is not including the money we will loose from the write off (the 50% reduction of actuall debt holdings ) nor is it including the further 50+ bill that will be required as part of the restructuring process, nor does it show that whilst were borrowing all this cash at a massive premium the greeks wont be paying anything back for the next 5 years and that it will be interest free to them

so in real terms were talking about a cost to the uk of more than 200 bill over the 5 year period (just the interest) the whole system is getting more out of control and its going to implode even faster if they keep racing down the current path.

not to sound sensationalist but unless the entire EU breaks back into individual currencies the whole place is going to be a massive civvil war area ripe for invasion through cash becoming worthless.

Just lock the gates,turn the Channel Tunnel into an aquarium,throw every non-british passport holder out,and sink any non-UK ferry approaching the Mainland,start trading with the former commonwealth countries,sit back and watch the mayhem! :excited:

"Time for tea" said Zebedee! :meditate:

Not much actually inspires me to board the outrage bus these days, but this has gripped even my impressively-even tempered shit.

The EU can **** off, and when it gets there it can **** off again.

Can anyone give me any reason why the benefits shouldn't be paid by the country of whom the claimant is actually a citizen of?

Not much actually inspires me to board the outrage bus these days, but this has gripped even my impressively-even tempered shit.

Can anyone give me any reason why the benefits shouldn't be paid by the country of whom the claimant is actually a citizen of?
Like your metal. More importantly why can it also not be paid at the level of such benefits in said country?

Let me put it this way. If I lived in Greece yesterday you can bet I would have arrived in the UK last night and be claiming benefits this morning. The only thing that is surprising is that anyone still hasn't done it!

Like your metal. More importantly why can it also not be paid at the level of such benefits in said country?
oO i was looking at it from a far different angle, stick..sea...push...

well really i wasn't, i was thinking if those dirty lying scumsucking leachers in red hadnt spent ,more than 1 billion in lying to the population about how we needed thease imigrants to boost our ailing population the problem would of been fixed by the likes of the BNP from the start.

apart from not being naive enough to believe they didnt receive establishment help to operate there extreamist branch (C18) to facilitate the required actions that triggered the outrage in there actions, had they not been egged on then prevented from going further thease "benefit tourists" who were "nationaly required to prevent the ageing brittish population from collapsing by 2050" would never have come near the country in the first place.

i see were back ot hte police getting pared down to there pre labour days, so i guess this means we will start to see more action (apart from the odd protest rally) taken on the streets to encourage the never really needed to depart pronto

see its all about being subtle, not the big headline slogans of political direct action, remeber you heard it here first.

i think that just about answers the questions above.

and i dont actually wish to see the poor missled fools harmed (the above mentioned benefit tourists and EU citizens), they were told what to do and how to do it by the boils on the butt of our political system who's job was meant to be to make the rest sit uncomfortably, not line the world wiht fluffy cushions so nobody cared about them........

What I don't understand about this story is that the rules on free movement of labour inside the EU states quite clearly that the person moving must have enough funds to look after themselves until they have a job(and pay tax).

So how can it be that these people are eligible for even a cuppa tea never mind loads of benefits?

Simples, make National Insurance like any other insurance, you don't pay your premiums you get **** all payouts.
that one doesnt wash, you lodge a claim have your payments made for 12 months (untill you qualify for main benefits) while subsiting on income support (which costs more than most of the other benefits due to the way its calculated)

besides not everyone who was born in the uk and works pays NIC's, i pay tax on my income but i dont get paid enough to make NIC contributions (weird i know) but i also dont get them paid for me by hte state, and hten i pay a bit more tax on goods as i buy stuff.

yet if my income gets made tax free i wont pay anything other than purchase taxes and i'll be entitled to more (yes ok i have paid a lot of NIC's in the past) but some shool kid who gets a job fruit picking will pay tax and be exmept NIC's will then be able to claim jobseekers or income support when his seasonal work dries up,

your proposal actually hurts legitimate claiments who wont benefit from the loophole (as its only for non UK nationals) more than it does the the people you intend to target.

*oops mis used multiquote again ><

Not forgetting the "health care tourists" who are estimated to cost Britain £1 billion each year and incidentally bringing in infectious diseases, some of which like TB had virtually been eliminated from Britain!

EU AKA Napoleon and Hitler rolled into one but without the gunshots and the battle needed to secure European domination and sadly the Citizens have been taken for a ride ever since the Ministers created this mickey mouse house of constant BS believe they knew what was best for the Citizens . They know **** all what ****ing right have they to dictate policy to the UK when they have been NOT elected by anyone here in the UK to represent them .

And how in the **** did that Baroness bitch get such a position when she has never been voted by any member of the British public to any position of elected office .. if that is not a gross mismanagement of Goverment and democracy I don't know what is ...

Latest Threads