Eu head wants an EU army

I think both of them are in for a very big shock this summer at the latest.
Macron is having his own personal nightmare right now.
He is even having to meet the poor people too, and talk with them.
There is a lot of anger out there at present that can easily be harnessed before the elections.
As a race the Gauls will never settle for jam tomorrow, unlike us.
Interesting times here indeed.

This EU army is becoming more time critical by the day. On 30 March, the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. The RoI will be a member. The RoI and the UK don't want a hard border between the two territories, but the EU are beginning to say there must be one in the event of a no-deal Brexit. If the two countries don't want one, but the EU insists it is needed, just who will erect and police it? The EU army maybe?

Luckily Eurocorps is tied up with the NRF for two years, so they are out of the picture.

As ever Youre arguing at cross purposes

Loki is correct its an aspiration
Grac is correct in stating that its an aspiration going nowhere whilst the UK has a veto

Loki - is making the mistake of seeing words suggesting its inevitable pos Brexit as it was inevitable pre Brexit

Grac - is making the mistake that (all the) people objecting to an EU army including the UK are in fact opposed to an EU army .

Consequently people (Loki) are arguing planned EU army is a Brexit point whilst others (Grac) are arguing if you wanted to stop it - veto .

But whilst the arguments going round - nobody is really on the same page.
The moment the eu army was mooted it was going to come in.

make no mistake. The eu wants one, so it will get one sooner or later. Mere member states won't delay that process for long.

the vets are growing fewer and are likely to be removed entirely soon enough.

Luckily , UK will never be part of it.

The moment the eu army was mooted it was going to come in.

make no mistake. The eu wants one, so it will get one sooner or later. Mere member states won't delay that process for long.

the vets are growing fewer and are likely to be removed entirely soon enough.

Luckily , UK will never be part of it.
Some have repeatedly said that there was no appetite in Europe for an EU army, barring a few loons without any power or influence.

The celebrated British veto (exceptionalism is how these things are oft described) would thwart any such ambition anyway, even if it only existed as fantasy.

BREXIT was predicted to make such an occurrence more likely, perhaps engendering a hitherto hidden, unspoken desire for a train set of their own.

The claims that an EU army will undermine NATO overlooks the simple fact that it is NATO (USA) which has kept (and continues) to keep the lid on Soviet aggression.

Perhaps the EU have read the tea leaves correctly and feel that they can't rely on Uncle Sam(NATO) to provide top cover, so getting their sh1t together is a master stroke.

They just need to pony up the wherewithal.

Why the UK feels the need to thwart (Veto) a change in the new world order, based on hundreds of years of foreign policy (when our new European friends and partners couldn't be trusted) is a bit of a contradiction from the posters who feel that 5 EYES is less important than EUROPOL and EU security and defence integration.

I wonder how many of the staunch remainers would quickly change their tune if themselves or their kids found themselves being conscripted into an EU army to make up the numbers in the event that Brexit doesn't happen?

I wonder how many of the staunch remainers would quickly change their tune if themselves or their kids found themselves being conscripted into an EU army to make up the numbers in the event that Brexit doesn't happen?
conscription is getting less popular on the continent. I think Germany got rid of there policy in 2007ish. The French have brought back a glorified citizen awzrd.

Some have repeatedly said that there was no appetite in Europe for an EU army, barring a few loons without any power or influence.

The celebrated British veto (exceptionalism is how these things are oft described) would thwart any such ambition anyway, even if it only existed as fantasy.

BREXIT was predicted to make such an occurrence more likely, perhaps engendering a hitherto hidden, unspoken desire for a train set of their own.

The claims that an EU army will undermine NATO overlooks the simple fact that it is NATO (USA) which has kept (and continues) to keep the lid on Soviet aggression.

Perhaps the EU have read the tea leaves correctly and feel that they can't rely on Uncle Sam(NATO) to provide top cover, so getting their sh1t together is a master stroke.

They just need to pony up the wherewithal.

Why the UK feels the need to thwart (Veto) a change in the new world order, based on hundreds of years of foreign policy (when our new European friends and partners couldn't be trusted) is a bit of a contradiction from the posters who feel that 5 EYES is less important than EUROPOL and EU security and defence integration.
Maybe the EU feels that it needs an army to support EU foreign policy....as a general rule, if you’re trying to force sovereign nations into one country you tend to need a government (the EU), a central bank (the ECB) a currency (the €) and an army.

I was wondering more how long before an EU army is used to quell dissent amongst European nations, especially ones that are considering their own Brexit

Has the thin end of the wedge already started? Germany recently announced that it was considering recruiting non Boxheads into the Bw (as noted elsewhere on arrse), this led to the observation that RoI, Belgium and Lux (all Euro enthusiast nations) recruit EU nationals into their army's.
Yes, I am sure there are those here who will point out that France and Spain have their Foreign Legions and the UK has the Gurks and recruits from RoI and Commonwealth. But is this the start, could provide some interesting uniform combinations.

The buying of critical defence companies by foreign powers has already raised concerns here in the UK.

Hotels, car manufacturers, and top stores is one thing, defence and arms is another.

Another concern I believe not enough attention has been paid to in the past and only belatedly now, is reliance on foreign IT and communications parts...Huawei to be specific.

Germany buying the company making the new Challenger is another one
I can't understand why the government would let that happen, imagine if we end up enemies again in the future and the boxheads have all the technical info on our hardware as well as holding all the spares for it. Same goes for the Typhoon and other kit though I suppose...

I can't understand why the government would let that happen, imagine if we end up enemies again in the future and the boxheads have all the technical info on our hardware as well as holding all the spares for it. Same goes for the Typhoon and other kit though I suppose...
And they allow Chinese telecoms kit in out Telecoms infrastructure which is sheer madness

The buying of critical defence companies by foreign powers has already raised concerns here in the UK.

Hotels, car manufacturers, and top stores is one thing, defence and arms is another.

Another concern I believe not enough attention has been paid to in the past and only belatedly now, is reliance on foreign IT and communications parts...Huawei to be specific.
How about Cisco, Harris or Thales? Not exactly British are they?

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
conscription is getting less popular on the continent. I think Germany got rid of there policy in 2007ish. The French have brought back a glorified citizen awzrd.
When nobody voluteers forthe 'new Waffen SS', conscription is the next part. Hope they get Hugo to design a nice new black number.

Latest Threads