Eu head wants an EU army

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm also a big fan of serendipity but it does rather depend on an awful lot of stuff taken for granted until it is no longer present.
Isn't that how serendipity works?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
About serendipity,cues indeed. Whether serendipity is a major factor in brexit I don't agree.

Those particular fireworks are about to begin next week. I'm looking forward to the show.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Those particular fireworks are about to begin next week. I'm looking forward to the show.
Would they be like Citizen Khan's display on the Thames last night?

A united EU military is becoming a reality, argues Germany’s defense minister

When Ursula von der Leyen argues that:

"Europe has to build an army," Wolfgang Clement wrote in yesterday’s issue of this paper. Given the global environment, Europe needs to improve its ability to act on behalf of its own security. He’s right! But he unfortunately failed to mention the progress we Europeans have made in the last few years. Europe’s army is already taking shape.
It must be hard for remainers to keep up the pretence that an EU army s just a dangerous fantasy

When Ursula von der Leyen argues that:

It must be hard for remainers to keep up the pretence that an EU army s just a dangerous fantasy
I certainly said it would be much more likely if we left. Not sure of your point though.

This initial investment will then lead to synergy effects and reduce procurement and operational costs, as well as enabling shared training of soldiers and much-needed modernization. That’s why we need intelligent incentives for joint investment, such as those in the European Defense Fund.

Not an army is it? Will they create joint brigades? Probably. Shame we can't veto it eh? Your choice to enable this.

Brexi t or no brexit .

Anyone who doesn't realise that the eu will become a single state with armed forces, police, flag, etc just isn't paying attention.

I certainly said it would be much more likely if we left. Not sure of your point though.

Shame we can't veto it eh? Your choice to enable this.
As ever Youre arguing at cross purposes

Loki is correct its an aspiration
Grac is correct in stating that its an aspiration going nowhere whilst the UK has a veto

Loki - is making the mistake of seeing words suggesting its inevitable pos Brexit as it was inevitable pre Brexit

Grac - is making the mistake that (all the) people objecting to an EU army including the UK are in fact opposed to an EU army .

Consequently people (Loki) are arguing planned EU army is a Brexit point whilst others (Grac) are arguing if you wanted to stop it - veto .

But whilst the arguments going round - nobody is really on the same page.

I'm not opposed to an EU army, I can just see it as part of the picture of the feature creep towards a united states of Europe and the EU's push towards being a nation state in it's own right

The EU army will come, and with it the eventual dissolution of NATO. Why ? Because the US is not European, is a trading rival and has a completely different foreign policy that many in the EU might regard as "risky". You create a united EU foreign policy followed by a united EU army to underwrite that and apply the argument of which defence entity serves Europe better given that in NATO the US has the greatest influence and is not European. It has to be the new EU defence pact or whatever it's called when it arises. Any attempt by the UK , if it remains, to stop that will be seen as typically Anglosphere, so last Tuesday, US Trojan horse etc.
Of course, if Ivan appears the "deep seated and long friendship forged in mutual respect" will make an appearance together with the usual sugared bollux and waving of US flags.

Latest Threads