Eu head wants an EU army

Last European Army surrendered 8 May 1945 with the RUSSIANs rampaging around Berlin.

The auguries for another European Army to show the Russians who's boss are not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article (insofar as the Grauniad does interesting)

"But in Germany, Ursula von der Leyen, the defence minister, said in a statement that “our future as Europeans will one day be a European army”, although she added “not in the short term”. She said such a move would “strengthen Europe’s security” and “strengthen a European pillar in the transatlantic alliance”."​

I hate to say it, but this almost smacks of a fourth (begins in R and ends in eich - don't want to invoke Godwin this early, but fear I might just have done)

Surely the nations of Europe can look back in history and see that we are not natural allies? Some of us are and some of us aren't - but it depends on which slice of history you look at - apart from the 20th C, it was more often than not us and the Germans against the French or whoever else was being a bit of a tit in Europe at the time. In a modern world, I'd rather we were aligned with NATO than the EU. Anyone fancy advancing on Leningrad with a battalion of Latvians, or a battalion of Septics? (All jokes aside, that could be the choice)

This just smacks to me of a power play by Juncker to gain a bit of notoriety - he's not up for election any time soon, is he? The Luxembourgish tend to be a bit 'odd' in their politics sometimes - Chief of Police used to live over the road from my sister-in-law and the back of his garage wall looked like THEM's armoury. Nice bloke, but you always got the sense that he was desperate to deploy everything to prove a point.

I genuinely don't think this is a possibility - I suspect it's more about budget-building and department-protecftion than a genuine desire for a European Army. If I'm wrong, lets hope Militwat (or any other politician...) doesn't think it'd be a 'cule' idea to cut the defence budget with...

The Ffrench will only be interested if they can be in charge (God forbid).

So Juncker is saying the same thing that has been said for well over a decade and something which is actually enshrined in the Lisbon Agreement (article 42), although it would need unanimous agreement of all member states to make it happen.

And that's before we start on things like SAFE.

So, nothing new to see here, please move along

European army - been mooted for blooming years, but thankfully not materialised.

But I suppose it would stop our lot looking like military tramps, having cadged kit from every other nation as ours is lacking or crap.

Will we get wine with our scoff like the French and Italians and be able to grow our hair long.. Just asking!

That action, I'd be prepared to pay good money (GB Sterling not Reich Euros) to witness.

I suspect that this latest soundbite is in response to:
1. Frustration that some EU member states are less than enthusiastic to apply sanctions against Russia.
2. In response to the problems experienced in generating personnel for CSDP missions.
3. As a no-cost poke at CMD, simply because he can.

Oddly enough - it would probably stop the annual chiselling away of the size of our Armed Forces. A process that Westminster (regardless of colour of political clothe) seems most enthusiastic to do if only to free funding for the Welfare budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will we get wine with our scoff like the French and Italians and be able to grow our hair long.. Just asking!
I remember being offered wine with lunch. The French squaddies behaved like adults and had a small glass.

Unfortunately - the boss took one look at the gleam in our eyes, correctly interpreted our plans to drink the cookhouse dry and banished us from even looking at it. Along with some dire threats of being shipped off to the Russian front if we touched it. Or maybe being RTU'd. I forget.

"I'd rather cut my cock off" - bit drastic, but sentiment noted!

Interesting article (insofar as the Grauniad does interesting)

"But in Germany, Ursula von der Leyen, the defence minister, said in a statement that “our future as Europeans will one day be a European army”, although she added “not in the short term”. She said such a move would “strengthen Europe’s security” and “strengthen a European pillar in the transatlantic alliance”."​

I hate to say it, but this almost smacks of a fourth (begins in R and ends in eich - don't want to invoke Godwin this early, but fear I might just have done)

My bold is the key;) Juncker's got enough on his plate trying to nick our banking system and force us into the Euro and we are making a very good fist at handing it to him on a platter. We can't say when, but it might happen sometime in a very distant future and probably not in our lifetime unless America gets sick of funding Nato.

I'd be far more concerned with a Senior Asian Plod saying it's not enough Asians in the Police force as the cause of not recognising Islamic fundamentalism

Given the probably future size of HMF I would think that it might be the only way to go if we want anyone to take us seriously as a military force.

Quantity has a quality all of it's own.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
As others have said, this is nowt new.

But is it not also a case of a clumsy attempt to cover some country's a£ses over not meeting their minimum 2% of GDP commitment to defence spending under NATO (a club we're in range of joining)?

But, during his debates with Farage, Clegg assured us beyond any doubt that the prospect of any sort of Euro army was "dangerous fantasy" and would never happen or even be thought of.

Either Clegg or Juncker is living in fantasy land - but which one...? Given Juncker is bossing the EU Commission and Clegg is cruising rapidly towards redundancy in a few months I have to wonder who has their finger more firmly on the Euro pulse (despite thoroughly despising them both, all their works and all they stand for when it comes to Europe).

As others have said, this is nowt new.

But is it not also a case of a clumsy attempt to cover some country's a£ses over not meeting their minimum 2% of GDP commitment to defence spending under NATO (a club we're in range of joining)?
More like it's another stealthy way of trying to make people accept a "European Superstate" in a piecemeal fashion.

First you have cross border cooperation on crime, then you have a common currency, then common banking regulations, common foreign policy with a "Foreign Minister", then moving from a voluntary concept such as SAFE to an actual standing army, bit by bit you chisel away at the things that separate the different nations so there are more and more "common" policies and fewer "differences" so, in the end, everyone accepts that "Europe" is one big country on it's own with lots of little "regions" and dialects.

Latest Threads