EU Head Sheds

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
In the UK, as you know, we don't vote for the Prime Minister. However we can vote him or her out at a General Election. Try getting rid of any of the Gang of Four using a vote, or indeed any democratic process.
Oooh, a 'dumb' for posting facts. Must be debating with a Remain voter. They don't like facts up 'em, you know.

I won't. David Cameron disenfranchised me.
I'm very sorry to hear that matey, but my point still stands in general terms though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No, he won't. He'll have the opportunity to contribute to deciding who will be his constituency's next representative in Parliament.

Unless he lives in Uxbridge and is a Tory voter - and even then he won't actually be formally voting to decide who the PM will be.
Agreed. My post was badly phrased!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Riga

War Hero
Because no-one outside of the cabal has any say in who the candidates are, or a vote for the (usually single) candidate for any of the top jobs.

If you want a say in who the PM is you can at least join the party in government and have a vote for the new leader (i.e. PM) and a few years later there'll be a general election in which a country p**sed off with the incumbent shower can boot them out by voting for other parties candidates.

There is no equivalent when it comes to the EU brass.
How many years did it take to establish that?

The EU is new and given the current... debate... over the next President it can be seen that it is maturing as debate springs up, over time, it will mature into a fully fledged and accountable democracy, which is more than be said the UK and our installed Monarch.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

The EU is new and given the current... debate... over the next President it can be seen that it is maturing as debate springs up, over time, it will mature into a fully fledged and accountable democracy, which is more than be said the UK and our installed Monarch.
The Monarch who does as Parliament tells her? The one whose entire income is given to the people who then return about 15% of it to her, and some of them still bitch about how expensive she is to keep? The one bringing millions of tourist dollars and pounds into the UK a year? The one who all the Presidents of Republics want to meet? The one who holds the Commonwealth together, what a great trading bloc that is. The one who costs less than Trump, or Macron or Mugabe, or Merkel? That one?

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Strange that, i missed voting for the Bojo, and Europe doesn't have nuclear weapons - scary place!
We've never voted for a prime minister dullard.

But UK had never pretended that we do, and it's democratic.

Oh, and France and UK are in Europe and have what?

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs

The eu isn't starting from scratch though is it?

there is no reason we don't vote for the too jobs.

borrow the usa model, or the UK model... The definitive form of government we exported to the world.

Other nations dream of being like the uk.

As for the matter of royalty. Please provide similar foreign examples...

Last edited:

Riga

War Hero
Where can I buy my fishing rod from? Possibly some tackle but bait, I have bait large enough to land a great white with the frothing tonight.

Let the show continue.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
So the UK is a model democracy then?
Everyone else seems to think so.

Any foreign leaders with family members in the services?

Macron? Merkel? JUncker? (Not his father in law).

So the UK is a model democracy then?
There is no such thing as a perfect democratic system. Just more or less democratic ones in practice.

The UK is one of the better ones. In practical terms we have more democratic checks and balances, and the electorate is closer to the law-makers and the executive. The EU Commission is much less democratic, with a much reduced direct accountability to the electorate.

It isn't a difficult concept.

I haven't found anyone yet who is prepared to defend the EU Commissions democratic credentials, comparing them against the UK Governments credentials. Is it because such a thing is too difficult to do?

Everyone else seems to think so.

Any foreign leaders with family members in the services?

Macron? Merkel? JUncker? (Not his father in law).
Macron, Juncker and Merkel have no children so that would make it a bit difficult. Bit like saying our current PM has no kids in the forces when she hasn't got any.

I think you'll find most of the royal heads of sheds in Europe have spent some time in their countries armed forces. Certainly the Kings of the Netherlands, Spain and Norway have. So did their fathers and a couple of their sons.

Of course, you want to switch from the royal lot to the politicians then Thatcher had one in the forces but none since Heath have had any dealings. Wilson, Callaghan, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron/Clegg, May or even Johnson?
Nope, not a one.

Stupid argument from a stupid obsessive.

Macron, Juncker and Merkel have no children so that would make it a bit difficult. Bit like saying our current PM has no kids in the forces when she hasn't got any.

I think you'll find most of the royal heads of sheds in Europe have spent some time in their countries armed forces. Certainly the Kings of the Netherlands, Spain and Norway have. So did their fathers and a couple of their sons.

Of course, you want to switch from the royal lot to the politicians then Thatcher had one in the forces but none since Heath have had any dealings. Wilson, Callaghan, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron/Clegg, May or even Johnson?
Nope, not a one.

Stupid argument from a stupid obsessive.
Eh? ‘Thatcher had one in the forces’.
I know for a fact Carol never served, and I’m pretty damn certain neither did Mark.

Eh? ‘Thatcher had one in the forces’.
I know for a fact Carol never served, and I’m pretty damn certain neither did Mark.
Whoops! Must have hit the backspace before posting as it wiped out the line "with tenuous links to mercenaries" after the Thatcher had one bit.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
A sizeable minority of the electorate are desperate to stay in the EU, and would no doubt swallow the Euro as a price to pay.

And why isn't the Euro a 'good fit' for the UK?

Fewer people than ever use cash anyway.

A card or phone app is standard for most people buying their weekly shop, fuelling up their car or buying a coffee.
For sheer gibbering irrelevance this takes the biscuit. The thing that's wrong with changing to the Euro is that we lose one of the key controls on the economy, the ability to set interest rates and thereby control the exchange rate of the £. Do try and see a slightly bigger picture.

Latest Threads