EU guilty of "wilful neglect" as UN says 10,000s have died in Somalia's famine

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Peter Dow Disciple, Jul 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. EU guilty of "wilful neglect" as UN says 10,000s have died in Somalia's famine - Telegraph

Tens of thousands of Somalis have already died, and tens of thousands more risk death, the United Nations said as it laid out how the world must react to Africa’s first famine in 27 years.

In two regions of the war-torn country, largely off-limits to international aid workers, technical criteria had now been met to officially declare famine, said Mark Bowden, the head of the United Nations operation for Somalia.

The announcement came as Oxfam accused “several” European governments of “wilful neglect” in failing to fund the estimated £650m needed to save more than 11 million Somalis, Kenyans and Ethiopians from starvation.

Italy, Denmark and France were singled out as having been “surprisingly slow” to react.

“It is time for the world to help but sadly the response from many countries has been derisory and dangerously inadequate,” said Andrew Mitchell, the International Development secretary.

“Britain is playing its part, with help for more than two million people across the Horn of Africa. Now others must do the same.”

Personally I think we should cut off all aid and let Africas unsustainable population reduce by natural wastage.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. personaly i think they sould also do that with the UK benefit system...............

................ you been to confession this week?
  3. I am an atheist not a catholic.
  4. Oh do stop being so wet and tell us what you really think.
  5. British government has failed to look after the British population for years. If it can't look after its own then help for others is enter G Brown and CMD.
  6. We can amke up the losses by returning the 280,000 Somali asylum seekers currently lurking in the UK.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. "The power of population is so superior to the power of the earth to produce subsistence for man, that premature death must in some shape or other visit the human race. The vices of mankind are active and able ministers of depopulation.

They are the precursors in the great army of destruction, and often finish the dreadful work themselves. But should they fail in this war of extermination, sickly seasons, epidemics, pestilence, and plague advance in terrific array, and sweep off their thousands and tens of thousands.

Should success be still incomplete, gigantic inevitable famine stalks in the rear, and with one mighty blow levels the population with the food of the world".

—Malthus T.R. 1798.

Now somebody can tell us once again how wrong he was
  8. I'm trying to work up some sympathy, but it's just not working (bit like the Somali's really).

If someone could give me a rational explanation why we ring fence the overseas development fund (or free cash for crap countries)?

When will the UN learn that Russia, China and India, couldn't care less about various failing nations. Unless the US decides to do something the UN are pissing in the wind.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. There is a large part of the problem.

10. This is terrible news.......but its a start.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. How about we give every Somali in the UK two sacks of rice and an airline ticket?
  12. Why the generous donation of rice, are you an MP or summit?
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just how does Africa become a responsibility of Europe? Surely this is wilful negligence by Nigeria, South Africa, Zambia etc, etc etc before it becomes a European problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. How very fooking dare you? An MP? I fooking work for a living, nor am I a thief!

Two sacks of rice, hand delivered by their fellow countrymen. How much more humanitarian can you get?
  15. Because the cunts will be rocking up here seeking asylum, somehow they manage to bypass Nigeria, South Africa and Zambia in the tens of thousands and rock up in Dover demanding a new widescreen telly, a house for each of their 3 dozen offspring and a Toyota to start a taxi business.