Eu Embargoes post Brexit

ugly

LE
Will we be required by treaty to continue to uphold Eu embargoes such as the ones causing friction with Iran or are we likely to rename them US/UK embargoes and carry on as before?

Its not a trick question but with what we have being stretched a bit thinner than normal and the budget may need bolstering (thank you former DFID cash pot) to do so are we actually able to treat this as a pause in ops and time to gather our forces or is it same sh1t different headed note paper?

Will we be required by treaty to continue to uphold Eu embargoes such as the ones causing friction with Iran or are we likely to rename them US/UK embargoes and carry on as before?
All EU treaties end for the UK on the day the UK officially leaves the EU.

Embargoes / sanctions etc would be more a Foreign Policy matter rather than anything to do with Treaties, I would think.

ugly

LE
I had thoughts regarding the EU withdrawal act which in essence rrnmed EU Bill's as UK Bill's or rather acts until at some point we repeal them in parliament.
However our Hormuz commitments have been around almost as long as our entry into the EEC and may exist through agreements with the USA and other allies?

ugly

LE
At a guess I would say an Ex / Serving Navy bod would be able to provide a steer in the right direction over the Straight of Hormuz and any Naval commitment.
Only if he is a navigator

Oh wait not that sort of steer

All EU treaties end for the UK on the day the UK officially leaves the EU.

Embargoes / sanctions etc would be more a Foreign Policy matter rather than anything to do with Treaties, I would think.
Subject to UN sanctions. We would still be driven by them subject to WTO rules. Treaties will not end once we leave the EU as treaties are with the nations, unless they are ended with that caveat. The EU is a co signatory.

Robme

LE
Subject to UN sanctions. We would still be driven by them subject to WTO rules. Treaties will not end once we leave the EU as treaties are with the nations, unless they are ended with that caveat. The EU is a co signatory.
As we are.
Thus WTO rules will apply and wether or not the EU like it, s24 applies to both of us. Not a problem for the U.K. as it simply means a continuation of the free trade agreement we all ready have. Big problem for the Mafia, as all there threats and wibbling won’t change a thing and all their loverly exports to the U.K. wont float a single rubber dingy. If we leave without signing the W/A agreement then nothing they are threatening to impose on the U.K. in the way of the trade sanctions, will have anything real impact as our total export to the Mafia is around 15%. Not 50% nor 100% in spite of whatever Chicken Little and the Lillets might desperately want the country to believe.
For the Eu already at the cliff top of recession with around 40-50% of EU goods now subject to tariffs (please adjust accordingly) and nowhere to go.

As we are.
Thus WTO rules will apply and wether or not the EU like it, s24 applies to both of us. Not a problem for the U.K. as it simply means a continuation of the free trade agreement we all ready have. Big problem for the Mafia, as all there threats and wibbling won’t change a thing and all their loverly exports to the U.K. wont float a single rubber dingy. If we leave without signing the W/A agreement then nothing they are threatening to impose on the U.K. in the way of the trade sanctions, will have anything real impact as our total export to the Mafia is around 15%. Not 50% nor 100% in spite of whatever Chicken Little and the Lillets might desperately want the country to believe.
For the Eu already at the cliff top of recession with around 40-50% of EU goods now subject to tariffs (please adjust accordingly) and nowhere to go.
It's why I have said, the EU's remedies are somewhat limited, going beyond them i.e. imposing embargoes is a step too far and questionable, but I have absolutely no objection to the UK keeping German and French cars at the docks subject to 100% environmental duties if they do. We could also demand end use certs for all exports by European countries companies based here, declared to ensure they are not going to sanctioned areas.

Latest Threads