EU elections June 4th

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Reserver, Jun 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just re-reopened this site after some months absence it is striking how often the problem of Britain's membership of the EU is raised in other threads. I suggest it is worth a thread of its own bearing in mind the EU elections tomorrow. My apologies if I am re-raising this as the BNP may have got in first.

To my mind there is only one way to save the UK;

To vote in UKIP in a general election and get us out of the EU. A good start would be to vote for UKIP tomorrow as a good result may convince the other parties to re-think their policy on this subject.

2. I will be voting UKIP tommorow as a protest vote.

But UKIP are in no way capable of running a country.

3. UKIP for me, but as a protest vote.

4. A protest vote for a party you don't want in power is not the brightest idea.

However, I'll be voting for the UKIP in the EU elections (but not the general election). Far too much control is currently in the hands of those at the top of the European Soviet Union.

Why not stick a poll in for this thread? Will be interesting to see a last minute opinion poll for the EU elections.

5. Thanks Harareboy99

"But UKIP are in no way capable of running a country".

However, the gruesome alternative is that the country will be completely run by un-elected foreigners, all of whom have a lifetimes exemption from prosecution. Our Ministers and Mp's would just love that facility?

6. UKIP for me, the main partys need a slapped arse.

7. I suggest considering either Libertas or Justitia, both relatively untainted by the current political mess. Of course, once they are elected and shown the gold-plated trough, they may change their spots....

The problem with the EU election is the way in which everything is divided up. This site tries to explain the system:

Who are the candidates?

Frankly, I don't care who you vote for tomorrow. But, please, wherever you are, take 10 minutes out of your day and exercise your vote if you are able to do so.

Litotes

8. How many threads on here are about MPs dastardly expenses claims? And then Reserver suggests voting for a party where a quarter of its EuroMPs have murky records in that area and where they approved a Benefits fraudster to stand (and who won).

I also find it strange that a party would stand for election to a parliament they want to get rid of.

9. UKIP for EU protest one really hopes that the big parties pick up on the desire to leave the enlarged EU by many, a IN / OUT referendum is needed.

10. TOO Get rid of it :roll: You are Sven and i claim my shiny 20p :roll:

11. Tarahhh.

20p on its way.

12. LIke the one the Lib Dems are advocating.

13. What took you so long? :D

On a serious note, I'll be voting UKIP in the faint hope that it will force the EU issue into maiinstream politics.
    What we must find a way to do it make the mainstream realise that it is more than just a protest vote and that it is motivated by a genuine need to have the EU issue properly adressed and a referendum not only on the Lisbon Treaty but getting out of the EU altogether.

14. Fair point, but the opinion polls indicate that they will do well, which is enough to secure my vote. I want my vote to go to someone who stands a real chance of election.

How else do you expect them to get rid of it?

15. What about the Greens? Did they emerge from the "expenses trough scandal" unscathed?