EU demands labelling for Israeli goods.

MrMemory

War Hero
I seem to recall there's a historical precedent for this kind of identification for Jews..... Strange that the EU doesn't insist on labelling from other disputed regions such as Kashmir.

The European Union’s top court has ruled that EU countries must identify products made in Israeli settlements on their labels.

Goods from the settlements represent about 1% of the EU's imports from Israel.

The EU opposes the settlements saying they undermine the hopes for a two-state solution by gobbling up lands claimed by the Palestinians. Israel says the labelling is unfair and discriminatory and that other countries involved in disputes over land are not treated the same way.

The EU wants any produce made in the settlements to be easily identifiable to shoppers and insists they should not carry the generic “Made in Israel” tag.

Oh dear, making produce easily identifiable to shoppers. This is going to be interesting.

Going to school in the mid 80s we had an English teacher who was very left wing. At one point he told us that he wouldn't buy anything from South Africa.

Sadly not me (I wish it had been) but a mate, who was pretty right wing, even at 15, came out with this gem.

"I agree with you sir. I wouldn't want a n****r handling my Golden Delicious either."

Maybe they should be labelled - I bet Baha Abu al-Ata didn't know what hit him!

Then again, allegedly over 170 no brand/artisan Palestinian products self exported into Israel the other day.

Maybe the Israelis should try a bold advertising campaign with an ironic brand

IMG_20191114_001027.png

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Easier for me to ferret out the genuine Palestinian Arab products from the Israeli goods. So that, of course, I can buy the latter with confidence.

Because the EU already did such a great job identifying sh-it wine to shoppers with 'The produce of several EU member states' on the label.
That EU surplus wine lake will become a sea that much quicker.

I agree, just out of sheer bloody mindedness I'll buy what someone has told me not to.
That's you on the 'Deny healthcare and education to these families' list :D

philc

LE
Well we will soon be rid of the EU and its simplistic rules, what the EU wont want or Israeli cant shift we can take, I hope then Israel holds back on its technology and medical advances from the EU.

ugly

LE
I seem to recall there's a historical precedent for this kind of identification for Jews..... Strange that the EU doesn't insist on labelling from other disputed regions such as Kashmir.

The European Union’s top court has ruled that EU countries must identify products made in Israeli settlements on their labels.

Goods from the settlements represent about 1% of the EU's imports from Israel.

The EU opposes the settlements saying they undermine the hopes for a two-state solution by gobbling up lands claimed by the Palestinians. Israel says the labelling is unfair and discriminatory and that other countries involved in disputes over land are not treated the same way.

The EU wants any produce made in the settlements to be easily identifiable to shoppers and insists they should not carry the generic “Made in Israel” tag.

For a moment I thought the Germans were “producing”soap again!

Israel, (like South Africa in the 80s), has been playing the boycott and sanctions game for years.
What are Israel's major exports? Nope, not Jaffa oranges, but technologies.
And the chaps who buy it buy on price and quality, not source.
(which is often a front company in Switzerland)

Going to school in the mid 80s we had an English teacher who was very left wing. At one point he told us that he wouldn't buy anything from South Africa.
At university at that time, some of us went out of our way to buy SA fruit, etc, for collective Common Room consumption, carefully decanted out of any telltale packaging. If challenged by the right-on brigade as to the political correctness of said tasty cosmestibles, I would always reply, with a straight face, "Don't worry [N], I am very well aware of your views, and am very careful in taking account of them when making purchasing decisions."

Which was perfectly true.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good to note the senior EU Court is making non political decisions and base their rulings on the law alone. Makes one more confident that they will be equally fair during the Brexit transition. :(

At university at that time, some of us went out of our way to buy SA fruit, etc, for collective Common Room consumption, carefully decanted out of any telltale packaging. If challenged by the right-on brigade as to the political correctness of said tasty cosmestibles, I would always reply, with a straight face, "Don't worry [N], I am very well aware of your views, and am very careful in taking account of them when making purchasing decisions."

Which was perfectly true.
I used to tell 'em that their jewellery was likely made from gold hazardously dragged from a dark tunnel 6000m down by underpaid and starving exploited black workers.
Always a good laugh.

How about a flag of the nation that produces the goods for EVERY item in commerce, including EU member states.

For a bureaucracy that rams diversity and equality down everybodies throats, they appear to need a good dose of themselves.

An expected one-way street, shock horror.

Latest Threads