EU "crackdown" on Poland

Good afternoon, all!

As some of you may have observed, there have already been tensions between the EU (cynics may say: especially the Kamikaze-socioliberals from Germany) and the new Polish government. Now I read from an interview with the German (!) EU commissar Oettinger that the EU commission considers invoking a new rule which would suspend Poland's vote in EU institutions.

Background for this is a Public Broadcasting reform which allegedly, according to the EU commission, might threaten journalistic freedom (see highly biased reporting here). I always thought that political appointments to Boards of Governors were SOP in all European countries, but that seems only to apply if they are social democrats.

Now, what I really don't understand is how the EU can think it tactically and strategically wise to bully a member state around in this way? Have they completely lost touch with reality or do they have a secret Wunderwaffe up their sleeve to force everybody into submission?

The interview summary can be found here (in German): F.A.S exklusiv: Oettinger will Warschau unter Aufsicht stellen

Additional reporting from F24 in English: Europe - EU chief warns Poland on new media law

I hope the British press is going to have a field day once this becomes more prominent.

Cheerio
G.

This follows on from the recent Portugese debacle and Greece/Italy a few years prior.

The Commission is in effect acting as a senior, supranational head of state for all EU countries. Yet is wholly unelected.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
This follows on from the recent Portugese debacle and Greece/Italy a few years prior.

The Commission is in effect acting as a senior, supranational head of state for all EU countries. Yet is wholly unelected.

Hence the start point rationale to vote to leave the EU in the upcoming referendum.

I hope Poland stands their ground and tells the EU to ram it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

fu2

LE
this is an EU attempt to get Poland to toe the EU line. Polands goverment is becoming very nationalistic like Hungary and Slowakie. The EU want them to start sharing the burden of the refugees and not just cash in on EU handouts (which Poland get a very large share of )

I don't think Poland joined with the idea of being a depository for refugees.
Coercing someone into taking refugees they don't want is a sure way to encourage nationalism.

Unlike Greece, Portugal and Italy, aside from the fact the Poles recently and deliberately voted for a strong right party, they have recent experience of being commanded by another Union and were keen to unshackle themselves.

If the Commission follows through (pun intended) I suspect the Poles will react badly. This could be in a number of guises but unilaterally, surely. Especially in supporting a Brexit.

The Poles are fiercely nationalistic and will react badly to being ordered about like this.

I think the EU is about to get a bloody nose.

I don't think Poland joined with the idea of being a depository for refugees.
Coercing someone into taking refugees they don't want is a sure way to encourage nationalism.
Not just in Poland. In Germany there was and still is much amazement not to mention disappointment that nationalist and or right wing parties have experienced a resurgence since the refugee affair got going. Quelle surprise.

I completely agree but somehow I am not entirely comfortable with the position Poland is adopting either...

A free media is essential in a democratic system.

Poland is free to do what it wishes and who are we (or the EU) to interfere but one must weigh that against their membership of large trade groups like the EU.

In the old days we would place a gunboat off their coast and withdraw our ambassador. If the press measure is not conducive with being a member of the EU then clearly they need to be expelled as per a vote of the existing members.

It is nonsense for one person (this commissioner Juncker) to arbitrarily threaten sanctions and change the rules. He has clearly overstepped the mark.

I rather suspect that the prime reason for Poland joining the EU, as it was for joining NATO, was in order to benefit from the protective umbrella that membership of such alliances offers, in order to mitigate against the risk of a repeat invasion, occupation and status of being a vassal state.

Whilst they have clearly achieved the aim, they are now realising that there is no such thing as a free lunch. They would be naive to be surprised.

For those not familiar with German politics, Günther Oettinger was Minister President of Badem Würtemburg ( that bit next to Bavaria) until 2010, when the Germans then got shot of him to Brussels, where they figured he could do less harm. The man's a clown.

Sorry for snipping, but I can spot a small flaw there...
Law of unintended consequences, perchance.

You may recall that UK ( Maggie era government thinking) strongly favoured Polish accession to EU, as it thought that we'd have a friend at court. It didn't quite work out that way.

Pretty hypocritical of the Germans though, as they have political appointees as the 'Intendants' of all their major TV and radio stations. Bit like the BBC and OFCOM really...sort of.

Edited to add: It is well known in Germany that if a reporter gains an interview with a senior political figure, then produces a critical piece, they won't get any more interviews with political figures. There is even a report about this somewhere. I'll try to dig out a link.

Last edited:
Pretty hypocritical of the Germans though, as they have political appointees as the 'Intendants' of all their major TV and radio stations. Bit like the BBC and OFCOM really...sort of.

Edited to add: It is well known in Germany that if a reporter gains an interview with a senior political figure, then produces a critical piece, they won't get any more interviews with political figures. There is even a report about this somewhere. I'll try to dig out a link.
I seem to remember something to that effect on TV middle/late last year. The reporter in question regarded it as almost as a campaign medal that a number of senior politicians would sooner catch a dose than talk to him.

No, it joined with the idea of becoming a depository for remittances (including social security benefits) from other EU States...
There's comedy show on German TV which I rather like, called Die Heute-Show, recently they did a sketch on Europes attitude to refugees and who will take them in. Half a dozen actors sat at a round table, the one representing England told the German rep to f**k off, the French one said yes we take no refugees, and the Polish rep kept on asking "wann kommen Geld". Summed it up quite neatly.

Latest Threads