EU and US "Secret Prisons"?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Steven, Nov 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The EU are to ask the US government to explain the reports of "CIA secret prisons" in Eastern European countries.

This is the only report I can find on it at the moment.'secret+CIA+prisons'+in+Europe

But on BBC World Service news they said that Blair (as sitting EU President) will be "writing a letter on behalf of the whole EU" to ask the US government for clarification.

I wonder how this, if true, will be spun so that it defends freedom and democracy?
  2. How do you know that it dosen't defend our freedom & democracy ?
  3. Sorry wrong question.

If these prisons exist then they are breaking at least some laws/treaties so it will be up to the US to prove that it defends freedom and democracy.
  4. How could the US operate these prisons without the consent of the host nations?

Oh, sorry, I forgot...
  5. Did anyone else see the C4 news piece about 10-12 days ago?
    About a civil registered Boeing Bizjet/737
    Allegedly used for transporting detainees to 'non-existant ' holding facilities
    I think that the aircraft was reported as being seen at Glasgow or Edinburgh Airport.
  6. Oohh a letter on behalf of the EU.... GW must be quaking in his cowboy boots!
  7. He will be if the letter lead to a reduction in cooperation between the EU and the US...

8. Oh I'm sure it will break his heart to know the French are in a strop! What will we do without them when we do Iran?...
  9. I remember seeing something a few weeks ago that reported flights to Egypt from the UK, where they detained and "questioned" people on our behalf... can't remember what programme it was.

A bit of a 'Google' and a look into the world of the Tinfoil hat wearer...
  10. How about if the EU collectively decide to use Euros to pay for Venezuelian oil.

That might make the Shrub sit up and take notice.

I mean Mr Hussein was starting to take Euros for his oil and look what happened to him.
  11. The EU is too busy spending the Dollars some of its politicians made from Oil for Food bless their little socks.
  12. Mandy: You must show us these secret prisons on EU territory - or else!
    Dubya: Or else what?
    Mandy: Or else we will be very angry, and we'll write you a letter telling you how angry we are!
    Dubya: Oh, OK, move a little bit forward...
  13. oddly enough i saw that very same comment under the encyclopedia entry defining 'imperial hubris'
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Came across this in St Albion Parish News:

Gosh, fancy the clergy getting involved...well, makes you wonder... :)

Le Chevre
  15. Hi Andy!

It appears that American senators are dreamers too. They imagine that it is in their power to replace prisoners in foreign countries.

It is very kind from their side to care for Russian laws. As a first step they can replace prisoners from Guantanamo and European countries to USA. As to the resolution

Senators: You must replace mr.Khodorkovsky closer to his home - or else!
    Putin: Or else what?
    Senators: Or else we will be very angry, and we'll write you a letter telling you how angry we are!
    Putin: Oh, OK, move a little bit forward