Ethernet homeplugs are they any good?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by joey_deacons_lad, Sep 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently had cable internet put into the house which is fine but my pc is upstairs away from my wireless router which has to be near the telly. So instead of bringing my desktop downstairs which makes it a bit hard to have a quick hand shandy when the missus is watching corrie next to me what i need to know is do these gizmo's perform as advertised?
  2. msr

msr LE

How big is your house? Or are you in prison with 2ft thick walls?

You should have no problems with wireless.

3. the signal was pretty crap last night it has to go through a few walls so i thought homeplugs may be a better long term option
  4. I have wireless at home. For everything else, I have a mobile internet dongle from my mobile telephone provider. Stick it in, log on and surf away:)
  5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

If wireless is a problem then the homeplug stuff is pretty good.

I use both, the device I use the homeplug for cannot use wireless. Definately the easier option, literally, just plug in and away you go.
  6. i have been doing some more reading up on them and it looks to be the way forward if the old wireless signal doesnt improve are they any good for gaming etc?
  7. I live in a split level flat - rooms on 4 floors of an old victorian house. Have my modem downstairs in the study, but my family PC on the top floor. Wireless was cr*p, even though the physical separation was only 10 metres or so. I was using a bloody long Cat5 cable running up the stairs, until I tried the electricity homeplug system. It works superbly - plug the things in and off you go. No loss of bandwidth or quality, even though the wiring in my house is ancient round-pin stuff. I started using Belkin plugs, but first one and then another developed a fault. Now using Advent plugs from PC World - these seem very good.
  8. I have quite a few homeplugs in my house and they work as expected really. I think I there are about 5 devices connected up, two storey house, they work fine for me - but it depends how good your connection is i guess.
  9. Next best thing to a wired cat5 network (get at least 85mps system)
    Internet, gaming, ps3, radios all work fine- no set up, no fuss.
  10. Cow

Cow LE

11. Is that safe?? I had the old Bakelite plugs in a two bedroom house I had 20 years ago. Built before the war. Had to have it re-wired just to be safe.
  12. Has anyone tried these in a house in Germany? Not sure if their home wiring is different there and whether it would be compatible. Also, will they work connected to a 4 way power strip? I've only got one power socket in some rooms and i'd hate to prevent the missus hoovering because i'm using the power socket to surf asian midgets.
  13. Yep - sitting in Sunny Deutschland using it now. Works great.
  14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I would imagine if they sold them in Germany they would have had to be certified in some way as working.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I use wireless but had to put the modem upstairs as one room wouldnt register!