Ethernet cable & Port forwarding

Hi folks, wondering if someone can help with this -

I have a small website which I run via WiFi from a server installed on an old Macbook. In order that the website is viewable to the public I have opened port 80 on my router.

I want to keep the same set up, but instead of using WiFi to connect to the router I want to use an Ethernet cable.

The cable connects fine and I can see the website, but only from computers on my network. It's not viewable from the WWW, even when Firewalls are down.

My guess is that I need to open up another port on the router to allow traffic to visit, but I can't find anything on the internet to help me do this.

Any thoughts appreciated.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
the port (TCP80) should stay the same, the IP address of the Macbook will have changed due to the two network adaptors on the Macbook having different MAC addrresses. Just change the IP that port 80 traffic is forwarded to.

the port (TCP80) should stay the same, the IP address of the Macbook will have changed due to the two network adaptors on the Macbook having different MAC addresses. Just change the IP that port 80 traffic is forwarded to.
Brilliant! Thanks for that. Sorted very quickly.

It's an old 2008 MacBook that was literally rescued from a bin. Very tatty & only 2gb RAM but seems to work OK for low-stress tasks. After upgrading the hard drive one of the issues I had was that the fans were always running, so I pulled it to bits and you can see how dirty it was.

Running it via an Ethernet cable as opposed to over WiFi also seems to keep the temperature down and hence the fans lower speed.

IMG_0741.JPG

I'd be reluctant to connect that to the Internet for all sorts of reasons. Hosting services are cheap.

I've put a new drive in and given the guts a squirt with WD40, surely nothing can go wrong?

Get a fan assisted cooling pad for the Mac to disperse its warm bottom onto
The noise of a cooler mac is very much quieter than a overheated Mac
There are leg stands of course, I prefer my pad

I've put a new drive in and given the guts a squirt with WD40, surely nothing can go wrong?
It's most likely running an obsolete operating system / web server and that's a hacker's dream. Also the hardware is on the way out no matter how much TLC you give it.

Get a fan assisted cooling pad for the Mac to disperse its warm bottom onto
The noise of a cooler mac is very much quieter than a overheated Mac
There are leg stands of course, I prefer my pad

That'll pay for years of hosting

Connecting obsolete tech to the internet is not clever. If the site is important it needs to be up and available.

Bodging obsolete old tech is throwing good money after bad.

I suggested a cooling pad something that doesn’t have access to Skynet or the met office or Radio four....
You are of course correct that a 12 plus Mac laptop is vulnerable to cyber hackers that wish to exploit mr memory’s website

Latest Threads