Estonia removes Soviet memorial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by troopie, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6598269.stm

There is much history between the two countries and feelings clearly still run high, but should one nation alter or remove a war memorial erected by another nation? I can see the views of both countries on this, but my gut reaction is that they should not.

2. Its being moved to a cemetery - I can't see the problem. Russia and the ethnic Russians should bear in mind their country's past behaviour toward Estonia before complaining - invading as part of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact: hardly their finest hour was it?

3. Im with troopie on this one, I dont think it should be moved, but I can understand it as long as they move to somewhere appropriate, like the cemetary. If they were just going to tear it down, then absolutly not.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes, the Estonian view of recent history is 2 years of extremely brutal Russian occupation (1939-41) followed by 3 years of German occupation (in comparison, not so bad for the locals - unless they were Jewish, or someone else the Germans did not approve of) followed by 47 years of further Russian occupation.

I can see the Estonian's point, and it's not something new. There are several countries around the world where British War Memorials have been either destroyed, defaced or at best left to rot. I wouldn't think that there are many French memorials in Algeria either.

It's all part of the joys of retrreat from Empire, I'm afraid.

5. msr

msr LE

I have spoken to an Estonian mate, who lives about 400m away from the memorial and have invited him to post his comments.

msr

6. When Stalin occupied Estonia in June 1940 1/3 of the population was deported to the Gulags. Some Estonians joined with the Germans after 1941 as they didn't want the Russians back. When they returned in '44 more Estonians were deported or killed and Ethnic Russians resettled in the country.

After 1991 there were moves to disenfranchise Russians in Estonia but this was changed after discussions with Russia.

In Prague, Budapest and other cities the Sov memorials have been removed from prominenet places or placed in more appropriate locations. I know this will upset the WW2 veterans, but they were not the ones occupying the countries post war which resulted in so much revulsion against the USSR.

I think as long as the memorial is placed in the cemetery as suggested then that is an appropriate place for reflection and pligrimage.

As an earlier post pointed out, many British memorials in countries have been defaced or moved. The statue of Gordon in Khartoum had to be taken away after independence and brought back to UK.

Such is life.

7. Additional info about the dismantled monument.

The project was accoplished by Estonian architect Arnold Alas and sculptor Enn Rooz. As a model the Estonian soldier Kristian Palusalu was used. The final plan for the monument was approved in May of 1946.

There were many Estonians in the Red army (including a brother of former Estonian president). Unlike such counties as Hungary it is also their (Estonian veterans) monument.

[​IMG]

8. If it commemorates Estonians then why shouldn't they move it?

9. I fear it is just only the begining. And how it would end only God knows. Even Kosovo scenario can't be excluded.

10. Of course inside their own country the Estonians can do anything. To open memorials for SS for example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Now that it's a bit odd!

12. Steady now Sergey.
    If you wish to provide a link I'll happily read it, but you're on very dangerous ground here. Nobody would argue that glorifying the SS is a good thing in fact absolutely despicable, but in all honesty, what were the NKVD (or OGPU or whatever they were calling themselves that week) up to in the same country. I would remind you that the USSR invaded a sovereign nation after conducting grubby back-door deals with Nazi-Germany over the fate of Eastern Europe - Within living memory. It is for the Estonians to choose what goes on in their own country without Russian interference (again).

13. 8O Uh... alrighty then. Perhaps a flyable Il-2 or a dozen could be found to introduce these modern day shutzstaffel to the treatment their predecessors deservedly received eh? :twisted: