Estimate TEWT

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by the_mentalist, Sep 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me some pointers, I have been tasked with delivering a TEWT based around the 7 questons/combat estimate. The TEWT is aimed at young officers and SNCO's.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
  2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

If you have to ask should you be delivering said tewt :?
  3. Can I kindly ask to be informed as to what a TEWT is?

Sounds like a brass instrument ;)
  4. Thanks for the costructive advice spanish dave.

I am probably the most qualified and current instructor at my unit, I was mearly asking for advise/different methods of delivering the TEWT. Not advice about the subject matter!
  5. TEWT is a Tactical Exercise Without Troops,

Not to be confused with a NEWD: Night Exercise Without Darkness!
  6. Lol. So it's like.. talking to yourself whilst strangely enjoying it? :p
  7. Whatever!
  8. No, seriously lol? Expand, i'm a civvie, so ya know! Just give us a little hint.. is it like working on your role as the top brass in a contact?
  9. Come up with an Enemy (based on GENFOR?).

Come up with a Friendly Forces scenario. Produce a map trace of the local area (unit/group boundaries).

Introduce the ground and give the group areas within it. Brief group on their perceived phase of battle. Let them run with the recce/prep for Ops.

Can be done via Maps (a bit websters but if it's all you got, it's all you got), though best done on the ground. Should take a full day with RVs to highlight ground etc. Can be a great learning tool. Best worked when the group gets to DISCUSS all their ideas. Can produce some v good results & ups the learning curve of all (including yourself) involved.

Best of luck.

PM me if you need any other pointers.
  10. Cheers dirk, I am conducting it out on the ground.

I have got about a month to plan it, so it should be good!

I have tried it as a map ex before, I did find that it had its limitations and not everyone participated, I scanned the maps to powerpoint and also had maps/ overlays on tables etc. Thats why I have gone for the great outdoors this time.
  11. It should be a fairly straightforward exercise ['scuse the pun!]. Sort out a physical objective geared into your scenario. Get the bodies on the ground and give them the task of working through the 7 questions with a view to taking said objective [deliberate attack]. Get them to present their findings. DS then tears them to shreds!!

Seriously though, it's much better on the ground than a map-ex. Give them time, but not too much time, as they won't always have that luxury in real life would they? Also, it's useful for them to present their solution to the whole group and at the end invite some Q&A. That way, everyone learns from the others ideas.

My 4p worth!
  12. If you can build it into a larger training exercise at a basic level, I found a good method was to take the platoon staff onto the objective and get the to TEWT it from the enemy's perspective. Get them to come up with a plan of attack and then actually execute it later. You can then talk over the pros and cons of it based on their actual experience.
  13. As you're doing the TEWT with YOs / SNCOs, they had better not be novices at this 7Qs stuff.

I strongly agree with the previous suggestion of "do it on the ground", map TEWTs are strictly for BG staff and upwards.

If the class are likely to have done this stuff before, why not address a question in detail, rather than trying to do them "all at once"?

I always preferred to work backwards from the destination - e.g. figure out a TEWT in which the plan has gone to sh*t, they're out of comms with the boss, and they have to milk the mission analysis for "WTF do we do now?". New mission, new plan, crack on.

Remember - keep the scenario realistic, and simple. No crap jokes, no advertising your understanding of current GENFORCE doctrine with regard to scatterable mines and surveillance radar, just plain old boring stuff, consistent with what your training cycle is geared to.

Make sure any constraints on the students actions are tied in to the TEWT; rather than "we're not allowed to go into that field, we haven't got land clearance", make it a boundary, or a DF.

If you've got a couple of TEWTs on, and you are but a single cog in the machine, tie up a consistent scenario with the other instructors. If you're running multiple TEWTs, ditto.
  14. A walk through across the terrain discussed is extremely useful. You can do it on a map, you can stand on a hill overlooking the area and come up with a sound plan but its amazing how things change when you get down there.
  15. Cheers guys, some sound advice there, much appreciated :D