Essential Reading

Discussion in 'Officers' started by PaddyP91, Oct 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to down to apply for officer training next monday (hoping for RA), and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some essential reading, or anything that could help me.

cheers

p.s. is there a army office nearer to aberystwyth than swansea?

2. My recommendation is the Telephone Directory.

3. Call me old fashioned, but I would like to see future leaders of Men, at least get their grammar correct.

Edited because my grammar was incorrect.
    But I'm not an officer

4. Right.....there are a few good places in Reading. I'd recommend anywhere down by the Oracle. Some good bars. Or, if you're in the old town, Yate's/Reflex/etc. All full of good girls :)

5. I'm reading "The British Army Officer: 1660 - Present" by Anthony Clayton. I think it's a fantastic read and contrasts the priorities of the modern officer against those of earlier officers very well. That recommendation assumes that you have taken the time to read the 90 essential pages of AOSB queries.

6. Hate to be pedantic old boy but there’s no comma after ‘Men’ :wink:

Bugles & a Tiger always worked for me! :)

Depends what you want to learn really Mr Paddy, these forums provide a wealth of information for the Chap Factory et al.

My advice, for what it’s worth, would be to read & memorise the latest events & news from respectable sources such as Reuters & The Daily Telegraph/Times et al. Then at least you’ll have a well rounded knowledge for what’s going on in the world & ergo, be able to make better judgement.

Leadership & officer qualities, imho, are things you can’t really learn from a book, although I’m sure the latest paperbacks about Afghanistan will certainly give you the guidelines.

You could also observe the great leaders from history & try to learn from them, I think the most valuable thing for an officer to attain is the art of inspiring others.

-DC

7. If you search this forum you might come accross a similar discussion I posted a while back, there were some excellent suggestions which I have subsequently read and enjoyed- proved very useful.

8. Is there not one in Shrewsbury area?

9. If you fancy something not strictly connected to the british army, but a great read all the same, try starship troopers, by Robert Heinlein (and yes, it is sci-fi, but the good sort). It's actually on the US Army reading list, and has some really interesting ideas about what the infantry is, how it (ideally) could work etc.

10. PP

John Adair's "Great Leaders". ISBN 0951183575

I quote.."after lecturing at Sandhurst, became the world's first Professor of Leadership Studies at the University of Surrey."

He can take you from Socrates, via Slim to the requirements of the AOSB and thus spotlight your own inadequacies, if you take the time to absorb the detail.

And yes, Masters' "Bugles and a Tiger", and "The Road Past Mandalay" are first rate.

Old Rat

11. Readers Wives ?

12. If you trot down to the TAC (behind the Police station) you should find a little notice on the door that tells you what days the army careers bloke is in. ;) He will arrange an interview with the Officer Careers chap for you and away you go. :)

It might also be worth having a chat with the OTC or TA on a Tuesday night to find out more about the big green machine.

13. Nuts and that other one.

14. Steel My Soldiers' Hearts, by David Hackworth. Because nothing prepares you for the British Army like the account of a hard-as-nails Yank Colonel in Vietnam.

15. Read this

http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/files/qc.pdf

The Queens Commission, written by the staff at RMAS, its a fantastic read. Gen Lambs lecture on leadership at the end is one of the best I've ever read.