Essay writing topic. Your views to help me build on

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by michael3429, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive been given a task of writing a 1000 word essay on a topic to develop myself as a potential supervisor (Yeoman of Signals)

I think this might be a good place to get some idea's on the topic to help me build a table of points pro and cons etc

Please express your views. I'm not looking for someone to do this for me it is just to get a feel of people views on the topic for me to build on.
    I'm really crap at this kinda stuff

So Topic

Has the use of military force as a response to security threats, decreased in importance in the 21st century security environment.
    Discuss

2. Learn to spell Yeoman

Learn to spell develop

Learn to spell

3. Thanks for that. I am writing on my phone and it's a nightmare never types what I want it to

4. How about looking at the expansion of 'security' beyond traditional threats? Energy self-sufficiency and resource supply, etc. have all taken on a greater importance in highly technology-dependant societies; food production and usable water are all increasing concerns even for developed nations; and maintenance of appropriate population levels (declining birth rates vs. immigration, etc.) while providing livelihoods for all is a major challenge to internal security.

Military force used to be the mainstay of 'security' from the physical threats within and without a state. With the effective reduction in physical threat from without (in most developed countries, anyway), internal security and resource security have taken on greater prominence. You might want to contrast the respective roles of the military, CIVPOL and trade in EU countries with their counterparts in e.g. sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East.

5. Cheers for not losing it, back to topic, its one of those topics that you can take how you want. By that I mean, In my opinion the use of military force has increased if anything, the advances in technology have opened new ways of targetting (literally sometimes) terrorist networks.

You can talk forever about visible military presence as well.

Are you secretly meant to be "bigging up de comms" aspect, with a view of modern comms techniques reducing the requirement of a military presence everywhere?

6. The comma in the essay title is unnecessary. If the first thing a marker sees is incorrect punctuation, you won't impress.

7. You could also look at the mobilisation of forces responding to the governments reaction to climate change. Not so many years from now its forecast to be 2 degs warmer - this has implications for the civilian population - ie - longer warmer summers, water shortages and subsequent civil unrest as a result of heat / cold , crop failures, food shortages and the general break down of society infrastructure. this link may help Case studies – UKCIP

8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I'm a technical author, so I write documentation for a living. I'll give you some guidelines about how I start putting documentation together. (I'll assume you're working in Word).

1) Styles

I start roughing out the document the document with Word's styles - you'll see them at the top of the page: they're called Title, Heading 1, Heading 2, Normal, etc. To apply a style, highlight some text in the body of the document, then click on the style at the top of the page.

Highlighting Example and clicking Heading 1 will turn it into something like Example.

You can then put in your main headings and sub-headings with Heading 1 and 2. You'll end up with something like:

Introduction

History of Use of Military Force

Recent Examples of Use of Military Force

Iraq

Afghanistan

Etc

My aim at this point is just to get a feel for the topics I'm going to discuss.

2) Bullet Points

Once I've got the main sections roughed out, I use bullet points to flesh out the detail. One bullet point represents a paragraph. If we took the Libya sub-heading, I might end up with:

Iraq

• Para on history of Iraq
    • Para on situation in Iraq that lead to intervention
    • Para on results of intervention
    • Para on whether intervention meet objectives

3) Paragraphs

Once I've got everything bullet pointed, I then convert each bullet point into the required paragraph. This gives you a rough draft of your essay. Put it aside for a day or so, so you can look at it through fresh eyes, then polish it up.

4) Thoughts

If you work systematically in this way, you'll get your thoughts organised before you start to write. If you just start writing without preparing a structure first, you'll probably end up with a rambling essay that's way over 1,000 words.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks all for input so far.

I've got a bit of a structure so far.
    My view is that the use of military force has increased within the 21st century. I'm looking at Afghanistan as been my main body, Afghanistan was so called invaded due to the security threat that the occupied Taliban/Al Qaeda posed on several states, the UK been one.

Unfortunately my English isn't great and never has been so once completed I will have it proof read for punctuation grammar etc.

10. the question didn't ask if it has increased / decreased; it asked if it has decreased in importance. very different.

11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

The nature of military interventions has changed. The NATO/Warsaw Pact divide no longer exists, allowing limited military interventions to take place with a much lessened risk that they'll escalate into a major conflict. We've traded wars between power blocs for the 21st Century equivalent of gunboat diplomacy.

Invading in pursuit of security objectives is nothing new. The excuse for the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879 was the 'threat' that the Zulu state posed to British interests in southern Africa.

Anglo-Zulu War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I might also be inclined to discus whether military intervention is counter-productive in that it eliminates terrorist infrastructure, while radicalising the population.

Word possesses a built in spell checker. That's all the wavy red and blue lines under words. Run it and it'll point out spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors.

Wordsmith

12. Bit off thread but what risk does the use of social media pose to military operations? example being the riots of last summer where ring leaders were able to co ordinate through untraceable blackberry messages ?

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

job.JPG

Just a thought...

14. You might want to have a look at some of the briefing papers on the RUSI website

RUSI -

• Like Like x 1