essay at main board

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by rfoley, Jul 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey, does anyone know the type of essay questions being asked at main board?

2. From information i have gathered from various threads, you are presented with 5 topics of discussion. From this list you go into detail on one of the questions posed.
  3. Topics were all current affairs based on my scholarship board, I've no reason to believe that it would be any different at a 'proper' main board.
  4. I read it was current affairs. To prep, reading a quality newspaper (not the Daily Mail, tis shite) like the Telegraph or Guardian. It'll be putting an argument forward, so some argument practise if you don't argue much would be good (top tip, parents are best lol)
  5. Just as if you were doing an exam essay from school, I believe. PEEL and all that. And read a few quality papers; I'd recommend the Guardian, Independent and if you have the cash, The Economist too.
  6. I'd disagree slightly with McFlurry; you want to be reading a range of papers, not just those on one side of the political spectrum. By all means read the Grauniad or the Indy, but balance it up by reading a more right of centre paper, like the Torygraph or Thunderer (The Times). Try and get an appreciation of both sides of a given argument, decide which you think is right and your reasoning why. If you want, set yourself a question or two and practice, although as long as your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure are ok, you'll be fine. Try and use paragraphs as well: it's just easier to read!
  7. My parents read the Guardian anyway, so I'll read that, but I'll supplement it with the Torygraph to get a balanced view
  8. Personally, I'd just read one newspaper, watch the news a few times and perhaps delve into the Economist once in a while (although that last one may be kicking the arris a bit). Grasp the main issues of the day and develop the semblance of an informed opinion. When asked what paper you read, I wouldn't speel of a long list of titles that you think they want to hear. Papers may well be representative of a particular political bent but you'll be expected to understand that and read through the 'ganda, sorting wheat from chaff. The politics may be different but the stories are essentially the same. Being prepared is one thing; having a life is perhaps something else.
  9. As a hopeful 6th form scholar, I can't go overboard on preparation, because I have GCSEs to consider, and a life to fit in as well. But time there is, but probably not enough to read 2 papers daily
  10. Apparently there's also something called an internet. You could always get one of those. I gather there is news aplenty on that.
  11. Hmmm, that's a student work ethic!
  12. Haven't you finished your exams by now?