Escaping from a submarine?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by vvaannmmaann, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching "We Dive at Dawn" the other day.John Mills and the usual suspects get stuck in a sub that hits a mine and sinks.Most of the crew are killed,however the survivors can escape.Sadly the last three discover their escape kit is damaged.
    So I was thinking - if the last man out through the con had shut the hatch,Mills could have opened the bottom hatch,got a bit wet,then continued the escape drill through the con.
    So is escape through the con a one time deal,and could they have survived surfacing from 15 fathoms without breathers?

2. I believe theoretically, yes.

As air in someone's lungs is compressed more as they 'bail' out, I'm pretty sure they are taught to exhale on the way up or else their lungs will explode as the trapped air expands.

[As it's the Naafi, edited to add]

Of course, all the US subs have ejector seats that also dispense skinny lattes on the way up - the cunts.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I don't think it was We Dive At Dawn that you were watching, as our boat not only survives but sinks a German battlewagon, and stages a mini Commando raid in Denmark...

Morning Departure perhaps?

4. Personally, I would wait until the tide went out and walk ashore.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Ye jest but,

The Submarine Escape and Immersion Equipment / Ensemble(SEIE) suit serves as an ejection seat, providing a means to escape with protection from the elements. The MK-10 Submarine Escape Immersion Equipment, a combined whole-body suit and one-man life raft, is designed to provide submariners protection against hypothermia. It is rapidly replacing the Steinke Hood rescue device. The Steinke Hood, which had covered only the head and neck, offered no insulation for the rest of the body, and had no life raft attached. The Navy's qualification of the Beaufort Air-Sea Equipment, Ltd. MK10 Submarine Escape and Immersion Equipment for backfit on all US submarines introduced a dramatic improvement over the Steinke Hood escape systems they are replacing, increasing the capability for safe escape from a depth of 350 feet to 600 feet, while reducing the overall risk of injury to escapers from disabled submarines at all depths.

Personally, I would wait for the rescue sub then it joins on and you slide through the hatchand away you go

6. Thank you - you are quite correct.

7. Thanks Johnny,was that available in 1950?

8. Back in the 90's, myself and a group of comrades where being shown around one of H.M.'s underwater carriers of instant sunshine and had the whole escape routine explained to us disbelieving squadies.
    I can concur with Johnny, better to wait for rescue than have to go through the whole escape rigmarole.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Swede Momsen Saves the Squalus
    In 1939 the US Navy and almost everybody who knew anything about submarines agreed that if a sub went down, the crew simply could not be rescued. Almost everybody, that is, except for a US Navy submariner named Swede Momsen.
    On May 23, 1939, the US Navy submarine Squalus, then America's newest sub, sank in 250 feet of water during a test dive of the New England coast. Over the next 39 gut-wrenching hours, Swede Momsen utilized a pear-shaped diving bell of his own design to save all 33 crew members of the Squalus. To this day, Momsen's feat remains the greatest undersea rescue ever carried out.
    Though Momsen's pioneering efforts in development of deep-sea rescue methods resulted in his being remembered as the greatest submariner of all time, he had to battle Navy bureaucratic red tape and resistance every step of the way. In fact, not until shaken by two modern disasters, did the Navy commit fully to a submarine rescue program.

What on earth did we do before google, other search engines are also available

• Like Like x 1
  10. In my case I would ask some bloody smart arse know it all There was always one hanging around.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Systems down at work and I am bored :p

12. My Grandfather had something to do with Subs during the WW2. I can recall him telling me about a very deep cylindrical "pool", something like 30m deep, in which they practiced submarine escape.

I am sure it was a case of donning a canvas hood, folding ones arms and slowly breathing out as you ascended the cylinder.

13. Hopefully one of the resident matelots will be along to tell us, but ISTR that the RN discontinued pressurised submarine escape training a few years ago. Something to do with other rescue means now available, improved submarine safety and the fact that boats now operate at some depths from which that escape method is not usable.

14. Or pop over to Rum Ration and go to the submariner forum.