Error message when trying to connect on PDA

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by fozzy, Jul 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please restore my sanity so I can have my morning ARRSE on the train to work. Been trying to connect via the PDA (Orange SPV 3G and GPRS running Windows CE) since Friday. I use the cut down PDA Friendly version of ARRSE, rather than the full fat one. But I've been getting an Error message since Friday - it tells me that the link to the server is broken.

i can connect to the BBC News and Telegraph On Line, so that bit must work.

Please help!
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

My fault. Thanks for letting me know and now sorted.
  3. Confirmed in and working.
    Many thanks Good CO -morning sanity restored
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

BTW Fozzy, I only occasionally use this so am not in a very good position to develop it. If you have a recommendations for changes to make it more useable please let me know. Off the top of my head the top menu needs to shrink a lot and stickies / notices should perhaps be folded up (defeating the point?!), but I'm sure there are plenty more - colours for instance.

I'm busy at the moment so changes wouldn't be immediate but I would get there eventually.
  5. I use my PDA quite alot to access the site when out and about. I like the idea of the folded stickies etc, just makes the forums easier to browse on a small screen.

I'll have another look around and see if i can come up with any other suggestions.
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Great, thanks, and I'm pleased that there are at least 2 people using it!
  7. I just think its rude not to use the Internet when it either hasnt been secured or is available in Starbucks!!
  8. I quite agree! It is both amazing that I can surf the web with a tiny box of tricks and that, frequently, I can do so for free! The battery doesn't last long, though!

9. I'm also saving a fortune using the PDA for phone calls over Skype when i've got web coverage.
  10. Not me... I'm still having problems with these new fangled mobile wotsits! The abacus was a lot easier... :D

11. GCO,

Had another look around the PDA version of the site yesterday. To be honest, its good and gets the info to you in a perfectly useable manner. If i was being picky -

Agree with the point about stickies, wrap them up. Everyone knows what a sticky is by now, if people want to browse them they can click on them.

Green text. When on battery power, people tend to set their PDA screen to be quite dim. The site text is already small i find the green text quite hard to read.

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good point about the font. I can't sort this over the next two days but will get stuck in again then. I should also PDA-ize the blogs at some point.
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Used the PDA version last week on a N95 (Symbian). Very good - when not just error messages!