Error for Practice Army Cognitive online test?

Hi, I have been practicing the online British Army cognitive tests and in particular the orientation questions. One of the questions doesn't seem to make sense and made me question if it is a fault with the question or if i am simply retarded and not understanding the question properly. You are asked to select an image of 2 arrows with one over the other, each arrow facing in a different direction. Surely 'Up Left BELOW Down Right' means that the arrow facing up left would be above the one facing down right? This was not one of the available options however. Would appreciate your thoughts, sorry if this seems insignificant but I am just trying to prepare for the cognitive.

*Sorry couldn't attach image of q

Is it assuming both arrows are in an East West configuration, like two way traffic. It also may well be the top arrow is perpendicular and the bottom arrow is horizontal and could be left or right facing. And what are all the options?
:cool:

It was an example question they gave me, the rest of the questions made logical sense so I wasn't sure if whoever created the test had made a mistake?

So the question looked like this:

Black ABOVE White

Up Left BELOW Down Right

it then showed the correct example answer to be A black Arrow Pointing Up Left above a White Arrow Pointing Down Right

@odysseus515

Black ABOVE White

Up Left BELOW Down Right
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct answer shown as.

A black Arrow Pointing Up Left
1614893710814.png

above a White Arrow Pointing Down Right

1614893737569.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The correct answer

Black ABOVE White
1614894171935.png

Up Left BELOW Down Right
1614894219214.png

could only be this configuration.

Was THIS an option?

@odysseus515

Black ABOVE White

Up Left BELOW Down Right

Correct answer shown as.

A black Arrow Pointing Up Left
View attachment 554519
above a White Arrow Pointing Down Right

View attachment 554520
The correct answer

Black ABOVE White
View attachment 554521
Up Left BELOW Down Right
View attachment 554522
could only be this configuration.

Was THIS an option?
Yes and thank you for recreating the Question. As you see the correct answer wasn’t one of the options, I have done the test a few times over and can only think that whoever created the practice test made a mistake with the example question which was a bit confusing.

Punctuation?
"Up left. Below, down right"
Would match the given answer.

ETA: Perhaps OP is treating the text as an instruction, whereas the question seeks to test association.

Last edited:
Punctuation?
"Up left. Below, down right"
Would match the given answer.

ETA: Perhaps OP is treating the text as an instruction, whereas the question seeks to test association.
Yep, that would work but without seeing the actual question and answer complete with punctuation we may never know.

Up left.
1614912486620.png

Below, down right.
1614912577256.png

Perhaps the OP will let us know where the test is available.

I found the tests @odysseus515 was talking about:
Go to Home Page - SampleAssessments.Web and select Orientation then Start Assessments.

1614939293089.png

The orientation Help pop up is displayed.
1614939092876.png

If you read Sentence 1 as "Black is ABOVE White" and Sentence 2 as "Up Left, BELOW is Down Right", the picture displayed is correct.
If you select continue, the first 3 questions tell you if you got the answer correct, after that it just tells you to got to the next question without telling you if you got it right.
I did the test twice and got 10 out of 10 each time, though I did look a bit like a spastic as I was pointing my hands up left and down right etc.

I agree.. the example IS wrong.

Up left IS ABOVE down right ... not IS BELOW.

If you consistently put the word "IS " in front of the instruction word you get 10 out of 10.

I was using fists with thumbs out and my watch hand as black (I'm wearing a black watch!).

Here is the instruction manual for the tests.. the examples in here are correct.

Attachments

• pretest-booklet-1.pdf
    981.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest Threads