error 403, plese help!

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by carpetsfm7sr94champs, Oct 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do i fix this twat (error 403), I've got on it my laptop, any body that is well clued up can you help me out, please?

2. The 4xx class of status code is intended for cases in which the client seems to have erred. Except when responding to a HEAD request, the server SHOULD include an entity containing an explanation of the error situation, and whether it is a temporary or permanent condition. These status codes are applicable to any request method. User agents SHOULD display any included entity to the user.

If the client is sending data, a server implementation using TCP SHOULD be careful to ensure that the client acknowledges receipt of the packet(s) containing the response, before the server closes the input connection. If the client continues sending data to the server after the close, the server's TCP stack will send a reset packet to the client, which may erase the client's unacknowledged input buffers before they can be read and interpreted by the HTTP application.

403 Forbidden
    The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.

3. One possible cause is an Internet Explorer 6 update installed by Windows Update. Possibly resolved by changing an Internet Explorer setting:

Tools menu, select Internet Options.
    Advanced tab.
    Under Browsing, clear the checkbox for Show friendly HTTP error messages.

4. Got fire fox, still no luck. Desktop is fine, connectivity etc..Lap top though, is able to connect to limewire and download, can skype, has connectivity w-fi, but stil error 403! Have put firefox on both lap top and desktop my desktop is not the issue.it's just the bleeding laptop!

5. Have you tried setting the proxy?

I know..I know...you do not generally need proxies for Broadband connections. BUT, there are some countires, for instance Singapore, where the use of proxies is encouraged by the govt. Hence, the internet connection is generally better with the use of a proxy.

I get errors surfing ARRSE too when I do not use a proxy. So maybe that is the soln?

6. I am in UK!
    I can see me having to take it down to the bleeding shop to get it sorted , bast&rd!