Error 1327 invalid drive I:/

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Trans-sane, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

This is an error that occured while trying to install some software. Drive I:/ is an external hard drive that a mate downloaded a pile of updates to for me (net connection for that computer has crapped out). I installed the updates (mostly anti virus and a few patches). But when trying to install a program I got the above error and installation aborted. The installation would only prgress when drive I:/ was connected.

I carried out a google of the error, downloaded Eusing registry repair, carried out a disk cleanup, de-frag the disk etc. No joy. I then was directed to the microsoft website where I read the following passages:-

and

Now I sort of understand the first but haven't got a clue about the second. When I tried out the first option all the entries either had a c:/ or a %user% as the first part of the file path. I have no idea if this is relavent or significant.

Help greatly appreciated.

2. By "external hard drive" you seem to mean USB (or, just possibly, Firewire) connected? In which case, the latter probably won't work as it seems to be for network shares.

Edited to actually try to be helpful rather than just explaining the problem - have you checked the drive in MMC / Disk Management? You may be able to get some more sensible error message.

Of course, your mate may have just burned some software to this disk (probably installing itself as E: or something) which is dependent on something he had on his I: drive, which you don't have. Hence the install error.

3. Trans-sane

Comment on the bold bit. No. Cos I aint got a clue what that means.

As for the comment about software on the disk, I was trying to install a program off a CD without the external (USB) hard disk connected. It wouldn't play (invalid drive I:/). Connected the external disk (drive I:/) and it installed. I suspect it will be REALLY annoying if in future to install any software I will need to borrow my bezzer's external hard disk... ;)

4. Have you tried copying the installation software to your hard drive and reinstalling?

5. Okay - it is irrelevant now, given your further explanation, but MMC is Microsoft Management Console and Disk Management is one of the plug-in componenents. If you go to Computer Management through Control Panel, it is under "Storage".

Windows (all versions) sometimes get a bit stroppy about temporary files - it may have written something (a shared DLL, probably) locally to the I: drive while it was updating. A three fingered salute tends to sort this. Otherwise follow Oyibo's advice and re-install.

6. Trans-sane

As in the stuff on the CD? Yes. And it appears thing are installing normally AFTER I installed it with I:/ connected (even with the drive disconnected). So that problem may be "fixed". Just wondering how to prevent it again for future reference.

PS. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple of times and its still not working. But thats a sepparate issue I suppose... :D

7. Ahh. Isn't it cute. The sweet smell of innocence!

8. Trans-sane

Not quite. Its in quotes for a reason. And that reason is the sillicon based paper weight appears to be working but I aint got a scooby WHY. I love computers. But I also hate them. With feck-all middle ground at all...