Erm..., so what about girly types then?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by geekgirl, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am a bit intimidated posting on here because I've seen the pasting others have been given..., be kind to me!

Am seriously thinking about joining local TA but am a bit concerned as do not see much info about women in the TA. Whilst I am the proud possesor of a pair of bosoms, I am niether a shrinking violet 'nor an agressive type with cropped hair and and a penchant for sensible shoes. Will I fit it? Am I mad even thinking about it?

Any feedback, preferably constructive, gratefully recieved!

2. H3

H3 LE

Why not as there's plenty of units out there with " possessors of Bosoms " in all trades and disciplines have a ball .... erm yep you will at some time or other !!

3. Really? Fab! OK - next Qu - local TA is infantry - I'm a chemistry/biology teacher at the mo - could I train as a medic?

Sorry if qu's are a bit thick - am new to this...,

4. You're mad. But go for it, go and have a chat with a couple of different units before you take the plunge, see where you feel you would fit in best, I found that although I think I would have enjoyed the job more at one unit I visited several *many* months later I am currently planning to join another because I feel more comfortable in that environment generally.

Theres not much info because by and large we're expected to do the same jobs as the men (obv there are some career paths which are closed to us), we get slightly amended phys targets but iirc these are findable on the army website (somewhere....).

Good luck.

5. In the RLC even the men have them.

6. Why mad!??

7. Its hard work, its a fairly masculine environment, you'll find your friends simply dont get it and you spend half your time explaining it, you give up your weekends and evenings to training, phys, and kit.

But its fun and rewarding.

8. "But its fun and rewarding" - sounds a bit like teaching then - lol!

Really - is it a very 'Boys own' environment?

9. H3

H3 LE

If you haven't seen this yet just place your Post code in the search box and a distance your willing to travel then bingo every unit and office close to you ...

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/Pages/InYourArea.aspx

10. I would guess thats down to the units and jobs you look in to, different places will be more so than others. The only way to find out would be to go and have a chat, find out where a couple of local TAC's are, and what they do, do some research on the types of role they have avaliable and give them a call, most are more than happy for you to just turn up and ask to have a chat with someone about possibly joining, and the recruiters should be able to answer any queries you might have along with giving you a quick tour of the TAC.

As I said, get a feel for the place you feel you would fit in best before you make a decision. For my part I possibly rushed in to it, let myself be talked in to going down a route I wasnt overly comfortable with at the time, and am only just sorting myself out and finding a better role for me, so cant possibly talk about the specifics of training etc as I haven't got there yet. But the last time I attended a night I was the only girl in the room and felt as happy and comfortable there as I do when I'm the only bird around when I'm at my civvy job, whereas the previous place I attended I wasnt the only girl but didnt feel entirely comfortable which reflected in my not attending as often as I should have been doing and needed to be doing.

11. H3

H3 LE

Just like any employer depending on the job / unit whether there's more lad's than lasses ...... my local medical unit was mainly lasses then the next unit across the town mostly men due to the Unit's role .

Have a look about at what's close to you :D

12. Ok - that sets my mind at rest a bit. Have worked in quite blokey environments before - (chem reserach and patent law) - where have been only woman so should be able to cope with that...,

Fitness - have no upper body strength but can run 8k+ without actually dying..., what should I be looking at at the moment?

13. Try searching the threads, loads of info on both this site and the army's own site. They also have an Army fitness plan site somewhere which gives you an idea of training plans to get to the sort of fitness levels you should be looking atfitness site but it is only an idea of where you need to be aiming for.

14. H3

H3 LE

All you need to do is to get to your local unit of your choice , they can push you in the right direction from there on in regards fitness , your not expected to be like GI Jane so don't panic as it's far too early for that yet :lol:

15. Make sure you have/adopt a good sense of humour

VH